1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Unlocked Knowledge by kmfrank - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by kmfrank, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

It was a decent story, I enjoyed reading it anyway.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

3. Portus

Portus Heir

Holy shit, you're alive!

4. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

When I noticed the thread, I looked at the first page and then started reading.
    Only after I was done, I realized that his thing is dead since 08...

A bit sad, but a usual occurrence for me, as I never bother to check the last update date when I start reading...

So after that little disappointment I'd like to leave a small comment, even if this thing is a long extinguished fireplace.

First of all this is solid work. The balance scale of not overpowering Harry is quite well handled. He now has all this "awesome knowledge and powers" but it doesn't hell him to steamroll everything. It was slightly tipping towards too much power towards the end, but...

As someone mentioned (i guess it being said three years ago, excuse me for not looking to the thread and finding out it was "Demons In The Night", alright?) already, Harry/Katie is an underused pairing.
    (The whole pairing preference thing is a bit strange with me recently. I like to read something new for a while, and sometimes even try looking for rarer pairings.) It is handled very bell, and I like that it isn't one of those perfect matches in the first two chapters. (Although it does begin a little bit too fast.)

The fact that only snape starts to question harry's different behavior is abit unsettling. Also, Harry seems to accept Tom too fast.
    The only thing that could have made harry trust tom could probably have been the scene, where harry ponders punishing bella and then other death eaters and tom points out that dark magic usually cascades, effectively stopping the train of thought.
    It would have been a good piece of mistrust and inner struggle, but was handled fast and shoved under the castle faster than you can say the official hogwarts motto.

Also, what was lacking, but probably could have been found further on (if it were continued and not left to die alone for three years) was Voldemort getting curious. harry, by the help of Tom, uses the ward schemes, and runes from Voldemorts repertoire. It could prove an interesting story when Voldemort tries to figure it out and likely tests some theories. Also, if he comes to a conclusion, that Harry somehow stole at least a bit of his knowledge, he would recheck all the horcruxes and that could lead to a bit of interesting play on Tom and Harry trying to glue the pieces of a mistery where Voldemort could hide them again. (Although only locket and nagini seem to remain)

Perhaps 4/5 or something like that.

All in all thanks for the read, even with the abrupt ending.

Nauro.
    p.s. I will probably check out other works by the author. (Even though I'm currently not in the mood of reading on Grindewalld ;D)

5. bugler

bugler Second Year

The resurrection of this thread prompted me to reread some parts of this story, and I have to say that it holds up well. For me, at least.

More often than not, I enjoyed Tom's smart remarks (e.g., regarding Harry or his friends' romantic endavours), Harry being competent, and other people exhibiting the "Wow! How can Harry possibly know that!" type of reactions. Though I must admit that I am a sucker for the latter two in any and all types of stories.

The story is not without its flaws, of course, but the last update being when it was, there does not seem to be much sense in elaborating.

I do however entertain some hope that this story might be continued some day. (I hope that you are still reading this, kmfrank!)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I announced this in IRC yesterday, but I figured I'd make it official:

I've posted the next chapter of Unlocked Knowledge to my beta board. It'll be up on WbA in less than a week!

Note that my beta board has been so dead for so long that the version posted in WbA may be EXACTLY the version posted for my betas to attempt to improve...but hopefully not!

After five years this old thing's getting an update :) Feel free to pull a Taure and start rereading.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I just remembered I'm in that beta group.

FUCK YEAH.

/off to read. And beta, of course. Right. Mhm. Yep. Totally.

8. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I re-read the story and the charm hasn't decreased in the 5 years since you last updated. Now only if Harry proceeds to seduce Narcissa earlier than schedule. ;)

The only problem I have with this story is that you replaced Ginny with Katie. He dates this one girl and the pairing is confirmed. So, feel free to pull a scaryisntit on us and give us moar girls.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013