1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the World that Waits by dellacouer - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Raggerd, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

You know that he/she suffered an aneurism but don't know whether it's a he or a she, eh?

Might want to do more fact finding.

2. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Holy moly - it updated.

I've just tried to read the update though and I have no clue what is going on since it's been so long since I've last read this. Especially with all the damn OCs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  3. Hello

Hello Professor

Woot up date!!!
    I think Harry is gradually moving towards a place in the X-men world.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I have to read the entire damn thing now once I free up some time.

Which I'll probably enjoy.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Pretty much what Kensington said. I remember this as being a good story (based on memory it'd be 4/5, and I'm too lazy to read back through and see if I reviewed it already), but I don't remember enough of it to follow the update.

I skimmed it. Glad it was updated. If it keeps getting updated I'll probably go back and re-read.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I did. You will.

7. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

I think I peed myself when I saw it updated.

That said, Harry's transition from a determined non-partisan to an active combatant, simply because he was pushed into the portkey, was abrupt and I thought out of character for him. Especially since he just found Sirius. I really had a hard time buying that he wouldn't just leave them at the sewers and portkey back to the states.

8. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

I thought it was quite in character for Harry actually; I have been expecting something similar for a while now. I cannot actually see Harry just sitting out on something like this when he is in a position with not only the ability, but also a bit of responsibility to help his friends. Furthermore, it seems clear to me that he still has some fondness for his home country and there have been mentions of him taking action to contribute to the resolution of the mutant issue in England. I think, previously, he was simply not in a situation where he was able to actively change anything.

As to the story, I just reread all 10 preceding chapters and the update. I thought it was interesting and I am glad to see dellacour move away from too much focus on the school to what seems to be a more action oriented development. I hope it doesn't take as long to update this time around.

9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

From what I've seen so far, Harry has just been going with the flow. He was dragged off to prison; he didn't escape until he learned that his life was in danger. Brought to Xavier's school; sits for exams. Accidently finds himself in a warroom; plans a war.

I don't think of it as Harry being a push over so much as he just doesn't care. He's really tried to limit his emotional connection to the people in this new world.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That's... that's damn well said DarthBill. I hadn't thought of it in quite that light, but yeah.

11. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Good story; I'm particularly impressed at how well the crossover works.

I did feel the story was hampered by a number of astonishing mistakes. Like an entire scene where Mystique was confused with Rogue. Or the typos, and the not-typos:
    Seriously, wtf? (Not that I haven't seen worst, but it really contrasts with the story's general quality.

Solid 4/5 from me.

12. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Enjoyed the update; I find myself hoping though that the last scene signals the beginning of Harry becoming a more proactive character.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I just read this last week and I really enjoyed it. I'm not really a fan of crossovers, but the story is an easy 5/5 from me, and now I am shocked that there is an update to it so now I must go and read it.

I only wish there was more high quality hp/xmen fics out there, but all my searches turned up nothing.

-edit-

I read the new chapter last night, and meant to post a quick review of it then, but I forgot.

I liked it, but I couldn't help but be slightly overwhelmed. I am not overly familiar with the intricacies of the x-men universe, as my knowledge comes from cartoons 15 years ago that I don't remember, one or 2 video games, and the recent movies. Simply put, I think there are too many OC's, but that is perhaps part of the appeal. Harry is plunging into a brand new world, accidentally, as is the theme of his whole life, and he ends up over his head. I find it hard to get attached to any of the new OC's that have been introduced since the mass prison break, and subsequent trip to the Rats hole. I was comfortable with Harry was interacting with wolverine, storm, rogue, cyclops, pro X, et al, but being exposed to the new mutants has left me confused and unsure. Almost exactly how Harry feels, and that is brilliant.

The only new mutant that I really like is Watts. I'm not sure why, but I am curious as to the capabilities of his mutation and whether or not he recognizes Harry for what he is. I am also curious about the girl that is with him - Luna? As an aside, I don't really like any of the other new mutants, Justin in particular. I think the author was trying to give the reader and Harry alike someone to connect with, but Justin is a pretty forgettable character and the reader simple doesn't know - or care - enough about him to make him significant. Now if the author chose a random Weasley, quidditch player, or Neville, it would be different I think. I am very much looking forward to Harry's interactions with Magneto and friend's, as I think that would bring my back into more familiar territory.

All in all, I liked the update. The story still gets a 5/5 from me and I look forward to more. On that note, does anyone know of any other decent Hp/X-men crossovers? the tag link at the bottom of this page is mildly disappointing, as is ff.net search.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  14. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Project M by Watermage is good too but unfortunately too rarely updated.
    Related to xmen but more about SHIELD.

Then there was a story where Harry is helped by Reed Richards to return to his own dimension but he doesn't hit the right one and takes a trip into some warzone in new york with wizards and some hobgoblin voldemort forces.
    I think the idea was to let him jump to several dimensions but it never went further after he returned from that one. Not exactly xmen but still Marvel universe.
    To bad I forgot the title and I'm not sure anymore about the actual quality, but since I remember the general plot it would probably fit the "almost recommendable, maybe more" category.

Too bad that nobody ever tried to make some Age of Apocalypse/Harry Potter crossover. That was at least the most impressive alternate xmen story setting I've ever read. It's as gritty as possible.

15. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Bet you anything that Hermione ends up being one of the "Home kids."

16. RJL333

RJL333 Third Year

I had the idea that Harry will be one of them.

17. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

Project M would be the best Harry Potter xover of all time if it was updated more often. Also, your second paragraph is actually what happens in chapter 2.

Ontopic: If they aren't limited to muggleborns, I believe that Draco Malfoy should be a Home Kid.

18. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Honestly, I was sort of disappointed that the Harry Potter canon cast was added at all.

19. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Sounds like Hermione to me.

20. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Shows how easy it is to forget the content when it's so rarely updated:)
    From Project M i only remembered the start and the last chapter where he has some fight with Thor.