1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat - T - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tutorial Boss, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, I was really appreciative of the power Harry had when he purposely lost the fight to Malfoy.

2. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Harry was about to kill Malfoy. Kill him, roast him alive. He hesitated. Malfoy capitalize. Even though he had planned to lose, he lost control and was on the verge of killing an innocent. I don't see why you're mad about that.

I just don't understand why anyone would critic the character development when it's clearly logical.

1. HP has lost control and almost die (CoS).
    2. HP has lost control and almost killed his friend (Hermione).
    3. HP DOES NOT want to lose control and kill Malfoy (even if he doesn't like him).
    4. HP trains with Moody to learn to trust his instincts/body, and not fear them.
    5. HP trounce Crounch because he's tired of being scare and HE HATES HIM.
    6. HP trounce Ron because he's tired of everyone's expectation.

There's definitely character development there. Maybe not at a pace you'd like, but it is a realistic pace for recovering from such a traumatizing event as suicide.

3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Not being able to control yourself is a weakness. Running away when you should stand and confront your troubles is a weakness. Being retarded and thinking losing a fight to someone WHO YOU HAVE ALREADY LOST A FIGHT TO BEFORE because you think that they will back off is a weakness. A character who is a moody bitch to the people who care about him isn't a character I want to read about. If the character grows, sure, I'll stomach it. But Harry isn't growing. He's taking one step forward and one step back all the time. The author is inconsistent with Harry and is inconsistent with Malfoy.

Hermione doesn't know that Harry is bullied by Malfoy? Some best friend she is. Malfoy nearly killed Harry in the alleyway in Diagon, that type of bullying doesn't just happen, it escalates. Hermione doesn't know that Malfoy thinks she's beneath him? Some genius she is.

Inconsistency does not make for a good read.

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sounds like Sorting Cat's staying true to Rowling on that one. You must not like canon Harry, who is prone to bouts of anger and yet never quite lays Malfoy out until sixth year (which he immediately feels sorry for). I think it quite believable that he 'takes one step forward and one step back' but it's obvious that he's progressed since the beginning of the fic.

To be fair to Sree, I too disliked the fact that Harry was purportedly a very talented wizard up until the Chamber of Secrets, but I found it believable that he did something tremendous to save Ginny and then immediately never wanted that to happen again. The fact that this mostly goes unexplained in the fic probably accounts for 75% of the frustration. The stuff with Luna was bearable because I don't know integral pieces of the Last Avatar world and therefore expect a bit of 'what the hell is this' from time to time. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the story as a whole, however, and I think it will start to pick up steam after the last chapter.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Harry was a moody bitch in OoTP. Everyone acknowledges that fact -- but at the same time, can you blame him? The last summer he saw someone he considered a good person and maybe casual acquaintance get murdered in front of his eyes. He saw his parent's killer and the terror of the entire UK reborn and then he heard his dead parents speaking to him for the first time in 14 years. After all this, he was called a liar by his government and the one person who could prove his story was basically killed by the very government who called him a liar.

Then he goes back to an emotionally abusive household where he is then cut off from all communication from his friends and the only people in the world that he cares about. His best friendsaren't communicating with him. He has no idea what's going on in the wizarding world right after Voldemort comes back. Then he finally goes back into the wizarding world and sees that all of his friends were living in a house where the main group that's fighting against Voldemort is. He learns that they were ordered not to contact him. Dumbledore for some reason is being aloof with him. He was told he couldn't sit in on Order meetings and Mrs. Weasley tried to tell him that he didn't need to know what was going on when HE was the person who fought Voldemort and saw him reborn.

After all this, you don't think he has the right to be angry and moody? Half the school thinks he's a liar and gloryhound and murderer, his crush only cares about what he saw in the graveyard, his best friends hold Dumbledore to such high regard that they basically ignored Harry for the entire summer (even when Hermione knows how to place a motherfucking phone call which the DE's can't trace), and to top it all off there's an uberbitch government toad who is "teaching" Defense.

In this fic what, there were mysterious circumstances surrounding Ginny and the basilisk and somehow Harry saved her. Then he has mysterious dreams about drowning. Then... he bitches at Hermione for worrying about him when he doesn't sleep. He constantly says he's "fine" when it's obvious that he's anything but.

So yes. We have two moody Harrys. One has completely valid reasons, the other's reasons lie in mystery and quite honestly are nothing when compared to canon Harry's reasons. He has absolutely no reason to keep things from his best friend or his mother or Madam Pomfrey or McGonagall. He just does. We don't know why, and until there is a reason given for it, it's a gigantic weakness.

6. Daud

Daud Muggle

Does anyone know what happened to the story? It hasn't been updated for a year.

7. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

I was also wondering about that

Edit: well i completely forgot that this is technically a necro but seeing the new post made me forget that. Sorry

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  8. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ...nothing happened. It just stopped being updated. Maybe (he/she)'ll return to it, maybe he/she won't. In the meantime, let's not necro without a review.

9. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

To piggyback on this (unfortunately without a review, but I'm adding something fairly constructive), Sorting Cat is a DLPer. That doesn't mean you should spam SC with messages about it, but I'm sure we'll be one of the first to find out if there's an update (is there a WbA for this? I honestly don't remember).

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, there is. The last chapter in the story was put here first.

11. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Meh, SC posts on DLP, but she started the story before she came here and rarely posted in WBA before posting a chapter, hoping for an update on DLP first is wishful thinking. It's just as likely to be updated on FFN as on here. Or that is what I comfort myself with while crossing my fingers for an update.

She had plenty of positive responses so I think she just lost her mojo or RL got in the way, which is a shame because I really loved this story when it was updating. One of my favorite takes on Rons character I have ever read, progression of friendship from childhood enemies was natural and realistic, although some people disagreed. The story integration was second to none, rather than feeling like a crossover it felt like a new world. The intrigue and mystery building was fantastic.

Tl;dr I've had a couple so a big fuck you for necroing, just another great story I am dissappointed is no longer active. If your reading this Cat, please come back. :(