1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter using Transfiguration to create creatures

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jigokuno, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Okay this might sound stupid outside of my own head but if wizards can turn inanimate objects into living objects why do they only change them into existing living objects?

So pretty much what I am searching for is a story where Harry is creature creating using Transfiguration and Conjuration. You would think because of his Parseltongue ability he would make some use of it by making humanoid serpent creatures to fight for him.

Like I said though this probably sounds stupid outside of my head and it will probably overpower Harry but it just seems like a logical conclusion that if you can change something into a living being using nothing but magic and your intent you could do the same but create a mythical creature.

I find it hard to believe I am the first to have thought of this though so I want to see how others have used this idea if their are any fanfics of it out there.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

We know they can. But it is illegal. Unless you are talking about a temporary thing, then maybe.

3. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Who says it's illegal?

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Something tells me that it's easier to create something that exists - and unmagical - than something imaginary. I include magical creatures because there's no evidence of wizards having done so, so it seems like it can't be - except if the wizard is making a dragon out of fire, or a a troll made up of water, or a Phoenix patronus, etc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Err, its illegal? Source?

And, that really does seem like a pointless idea. How hard would it be to kill a conjured animal? And if you could conjure magical animals, then well, wouldn't people use it a lot more then?

6. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Eh, for some reason I have the impression that it's not impossible to conjure/transfigure magical creatures to a degree, but if you have enough power to do it, it'll be an absolute bitch to get the magical creature to stay in existence.

The trick is to find a way to make it permanent and let them make babies.

Disclaimer: If JKR ever addressed this in canon, I didn't pay attention. This is all speculation.

7. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

AnimalRealm!Harry?

interesting.

8. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

In Fantastic Beasts, there is the Quintaped, an creature whose origin were in a family who had been transfigured in to five-legged monsters and unable to be turned back, the story also leads to believe that it's relatively easy to make new creatures through transfiguration.

Also, in GoF, Skeeter asks Hagrid if the blast-ended skrewt were result of crossbreeding, and that would be ilegal. So, its probably right to assume that making creatures through less natural means would be at least as ilegal.

9. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

You took what she said with anything less than an ocean full of salt?

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

IIRC, a skrewt = fire crab + manticore, and handling manticores is supposedly illegal.

11. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Nope, Skeeter is correct. There is a Ban on Experimental Breeding. The character who 'wrote' Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, is the one who made it law. Somewhere in the series Arthur Weasley spoke of a fire breathing chicken that was afoul of the Ban.

12. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Is anyone else thinking that a fire-breathing chicken would make an awesome pet? I mean, as long as you don't live in a wooden house, or have a fireproof cage or something, no-one's going to fuck with you when you take that thing for a walk.

It could even replace pitbulls as the drug-dealer/chav's protection of choice. . .

13. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

The Rise of the Gray Lord by TheDarkestAngel16
    Harry prepares for the future after the events of his Fifth year. With the help of Dumbledore he begins training himself in both light and dark magic. Hhr eventually, new author, still in transition possess.Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Adventure - Chapters: 18 - Words: 143,228 - Reviews: 837 - Updated: 10-15-06 - Published: 10-11-04 - Harry P. & Hermione G.

@Jigokuno: This story has elements of what you're looking for.

Indy!Harry story that begins at the summer before sixth year. Harry comes up with an idea to create strange non-existing creatures by transfiguration.

It's been a long time since I've read it but from what I remember it was quite good. The action scenes were very nice and detailed. Also, I liked some of the things, the author created. It was very innovative.

The author changed during the later chapters and as such the story suffered. The genre changed from action/adventure to romance/angst. It's also been abandoned now for years.

14. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Thx for the story johnny I might try to read it but if it's as bad as you say turning into a romance angst then I will probably just skim it to find out how Creature Creation is used.

Onto the debate now.

First of all obviously it will be illegal since the Ministry is corrupt and it makes whatever it wants illegal. Experimental crossbreeding would fall under that.

Transfiguration takes more intent and control and less power right? So how hard could it be to create temporary creatures that stay and battle for one battle? Dumbledore is supposedly a master of transfiguration and has never made use of something like this which frustrates me. It most certainly doesn’t have to be a “magical” creature to be useful. What about a simple golem? Animating rocks into a humanoid form and using it to fight? Or using any other element.

If we got a step more complicated without going into magical creature realm what about a humanoid serpent creature? Two arms, Two legs, reflexes that can dodge the vast majority of spells, regenerative properties like some reptiles have, actually making use of Harry’s Parseltongue ability by having him be the only one besides Voldemort who could talk to the creatures. Not to mention controlling Transfigured creatures would normally probably take mind control if they are somewhat intelligent so using a reptile with enough intelligence to realize who it’s creator is and who can communicate with it means Harry would probably not even have to use mind control to keep it loyal. Since serpents seem to be loyal to snake speaking humans for some reason.

Why is it that Parseltongue’s main benefit is to open super secret doors and make people think your evil , why not use it to control humanoid serpents? Why is it Transfigurations only use in combat seems to consist of conjuring a slab of granite to block the killing curse, why not use it to create monsters of varying power levels and uses depending on magic power and creativity respectively?

I am glad others don't think my creature creation idea is as stupid as I thought it would sound. Hope someone makes use of this idea and turns it into a story. Someone mentioned quintapads being canon transfigured creature meaning it actually is canon for creature creation so really all you would have to do is change the stupidity of wizards to make them creature battle in a story.

This idea has been bouncing around in my head for awhile but I recently read a lotr/hp crossover called Serpent of the South by Andromalius and that story seemed to just call out for Harry to conjure an army of Humanoid Serpents to fight for him. In Harry's battle with the orcs I kept thinkin man how cool would it be if Harry started changing grains of dirt into quick serpent creatures to fight for him but instead he was throwing around beheading curses which just seemed unoriginal especially considering he is supposed to become the Serpent Lord. Most serpent like thing was him summoning some asps. Since Voldemort wasn't their that meant only Harry could even communicate with them. Considering LOTR has many races and fights using armies not with 1 vs 1 combat it seems like something that would fit without overpowering Harry so that's why the idea sounded so interesting in that story.

Edit:
    okay in the Rise of the Gray Lord I managed to get to the part of Creature Creation. The author makes it sound like he can decide how the creature moves and behaves. That seems tough. Does anyone believe that with simply your intent you can decide the personality of the creature you create? I would think you would have to have a detailed image of what you want the creatures brain to look like to get a creature that specific? Or would simply willing a creature to act a certain way when casting actually work?

15. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Maybe it's just harder because you have to create the creature from scratch, I mean I have dozens of mental images of cats in my head. And most magic, transfiguration included requires you to visualize. I would find it far easier to visualize a cat than some abstract creature that would probably be a mix of other animals, especially in a combat situation.

Maybe you could create a jumbled up non-magical creature but magical creatures would be harder surely? I mean, all a lion does around is run around and bite stuff, but if you were to create a miniature dragon from scratch it would be belching fireballs all over the place- which costs energy.

16. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Yes magical creatures would cost more energy but I don't see visualization being a problem. Wizards can create lions but have they seen a real life lion? Most likely they have not but instead saw pictures of them. So if all you need to do to have a good enough visualization is to draw a picture of it and memorize it to be able to create mythical creatures I don't see the problem.

17. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Am I the only one who gets an image about nargiles and snorkacs dancing around when looking this topic?

Luna would have so many creatures if it was possible.

18. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

......I hadn't thought of that.

~Luna running around in a meadow full of conjured snorkacs and nargles~

~Death Eaters attack and Luna's army of Nargles and Snorkacs kill them all~

That would be cool 0.0

I want to see a crackfic where Luna actually does do something like that now.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In your imagination, maybe.

Not very hard, given that Cedric did it in GoF.

But why would Dumbledore want to do it? We only saw him fight once, and there existed massive stone statues in the place he was fighting, so he had no need to conjure anything. Further, it is easier to vanish than it is to conjure, so anything you conjure, an opponent of equal skill will certainly be able to vanish.

Or you could just use one of the many spells created to control creatures.

Because there's no reason to. The costs outweigh the benefits. There might be some applications, but I can't see it as a regular tactic applicable to most fighting situations. What advantage does conjuring a tiger have over a cutting spell? The spell is quicker, easier, harder to block, and would do the same damage in the event of making contact.

20. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

if you are in the position of outnumbered you can find a hole to hide and start transfigure animals to even odds a little bit. but if you attack 5-6 people with a cutting spell you would take an opponent but other 5 of them take you out.

best application for it if you try to distract your opponents.

A question, did we ever see an illusion in canon? I can't remember if we saw. if you could use illusions to hide your animals (ie. making them seem like multiple) it would be better don't you think?