1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry the Rune Master by Rune warrior - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ip82, Feb 9, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry the Rune Master
    Author: Rune warrior
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Romance
    Pairings: H/Tonks, announced H/Cho and a few others
    Summary: Harry discovers some new powers is the world ready for a new Rune Master, HarryTonks later in the story Maniuplative!Dumbledore Powerful!Harry. First and second chap Beta'd
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2667564/1/

Solid new Independant!Harry story.

Harry is a rune master, which gives him instinctive knowledge of understanding and drawing runes. Tonks helps him out figure out his new powers. Dumbledore is keeping him locked up & ignorant, but it's still not certain how evil/manipulative he truly is.

The upside is a very detailed model of rune magic. The guy had worked runes out to the very last detail - levels of understanding, ways to draw them, areas of application, etc... Nice to see an author trying to input something new to the HP setting itself. Harry's interaction with Tonks is cool too.

Downside is his writting style - it's very rushed and unpolished. Add to that the fact that he isn't native English speaker and you get a mess of spelling, grammar and all other kinds of errors (especially in chapters that aren't beta'd yet).

If you're not too skimish about sloppy story presentation, try this out.

2. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    This is a very good story. I like the protection that Harry makes for himself.

EDIT: NYAGH!!! CLICHE ALERT!! The "Harrt remembers Goblin and peeps=shocked" cliche is used.

3. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

You really do have a talent for finding unique stories ip82. I read the 1st chapter and so far so good. This is a totally new idea and I like that. Hopefully it won't be filled with other cliches later on.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No, no, he made it different.

Harry doesn't remember a goblin he had seen once in his life. No sir, what he does remember are Griphook's distinguished face marks and characteristics. So he was of course able to piece together these vague clues and recognize GRIPHOOK'S SISTER!!!

If Harry who remembers Griphook is a kind-hearted angel, this one must be GOD ALMIGHTY HIMSELF!

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I've seen this around but I never clicked on it. Stories in the past with titles such as 'Rune Master/God/Magi' have always turned out to be a complete waste of time. Since this looks different... I might give it a read.

6. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I thought it a worhtwhile story new independent fic like you said Ip, but i find that it actually goes into Runic magic far deeper then most fics out there.

7. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Yes, I agree. It does go much farther into the basics of the magic. I do like the battle scene a bit, but I'm kinda tired right now, so I don't recall much of it.

8. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

I will read only the betaed chapters.
    I tried to read this story in the past when he didnt had beta - someone from this fourum ( I think Necros) and my eyes bleed.
    No paragraphs, names mistakes , horrible just horrible.
    So in conclusion only the betaed chapters nothing more for me.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Its better than I thought it would be. Like everyone else, I like how it goes deep into runic magic. Any story that properly explains a new type of magic wins points for me.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ~bows~ ladies and gentlemen, let me present to you, me, the beta of this fic. All but the 3rd chapter are betaed, though if you remember his writing style before I became beta, it has improved 10 fold just from learning from the corections to the chapters he has sent me.

11. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

interesting, a couple wtf moments...but ok for someone who doesn't speak english

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    now updated, I can tell you this is certainly going to be a HONKS fic. I had to suffer through betaing the romancy bit at the end of the enw chapter, which while not long, gives me an indication of how much I shall suffer in the future

13. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

I thought it was a pretty good chapter, although I wish that there was a better description of Tonks in her true form....

14. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

Oops. *sheepish* I think I insulted you in a round-about way when I asked if they still needed a beta in the fourth chapter. The lack of puncuation in places bugged me (mostly exclusive to the dialogue). It has really improved though! Now that I can read it without going through page length paragraphs I find it a lot more interesting.

I don't particularly like how the romance with Tonks happens, though. It seems like they are just thrown together... Ah well, at least someone is trying.

15. Dr_Jos

Dr_Jos First Year

I like it

16. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Decent chapter, and I'm glad to see Harry has a better grasp of his Rune talents now, but I can't see everyone in the Order argeeing with Dumbledore stealing Harry's funds.

17. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Yeah about that. Has anyone even bothered to think that why someone with Dumbledore's status, age, prestige would be so desperate as to steal from a kid? I mean, come on... he was the friend/buddy of an alchemist!!!!

18. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Never bought Dumbledore-the-thief plots myself, especially when the whole Order seems to know it, like in this story.

MAYBE if he needed some obscene ammount of money and he'd wasted all of his own funds. But even if that's true, he's covered his tracks better and wouldn't allow Harry to just find out about it that easily, like by receiving an owl from Gringotts or reaching 16th birthday.

19. Israfel

Israfel First Year

The Dumbledore-stealing-from-Harry storylines I never really bought just because think about, this is the man who the entirety of wizarding Britain consider to be the most powerful wizard since Merlin and runs the biggest magical school in the British islands and proably has money coming out the wazoo and yet he for some reason needs to steal from Harry? Nope sorry I'm just not buying it. Even if he did need it for some uber operation as ip82 mentioned I'm sure with his clout he could just get all the known Death Eater's funds seized and just use those to fund the War Machine, they pull that sort of thing all the time in those Harry-goes-to-Azkaban-for-a-crime-he-didn't-commit fics why not here?

20. rune knight

rune knight Backtraced

confusion

i remember reading this a long time ago don't remember details but do remember that i could not read the story without taking out my contacts and taking a couple advils:office:confused: