1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Tonks

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by HarrySeverusPotter, Aug 3, 2016.

1. HarrySeverusPotter

HarrySeverusPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    So I was reading 'Renegade Cause' and while it was far from great, it sparked in me an interest in a pairing I hadn't ever thought much of.
    I remembered reading comments in an older thread on how most Honks fics were rubbish or simply cliched clones with little to no originality whatsoever.
    So I'd like to know if there has been any increase in the standards of Honks fics in the recent years, or should I not bother trawling through FFN at all?
    Oh, any reccs on quality H/T fics would be appreciated too.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

4. Stan

Stan Order Member

Control is kinda-sorta Harry/Tonks. I really liked it when I was in my Dark!Harry phase, not sure how well it holds up.

I don't really care for Chelsyb's longer works, but some of her shorter ones are enjoyable.

The Metamorph Bet is good for a smut fic, which isn't saying all that much.

The Toy Collector is decent, but no more than that.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  5. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

6. Inert

Inert Headmaster

First things first, not sure what your definition of quality is if you find Renegade Cause lacking. Plot can be a bit confusing, but I've found it to be one of the most nuanced stories in the fandom.

Second, the only one worth reccing off the top of my head is Breach of Contract, by MattSilver. Yet another nuanced plot.

7. moonpotato

moonpotato First Year

It doesn't. I was a fan of it back in my Dark!Harry phase as well, but now I struggle to get through the first chapter. It's so very cliché and I just find it cringeworthy.

8. imranraad

imranraad Squib

High Score:
  9. LiquidThought

LiquidThought Squib

High Score:
    I've recently come across The Merging, where Harry starts growing some serious balls after the Dementor attack in the summer before his 5th year. The tone of the story is mostly light with lots of friendly banter, humour and high-quality action. There are also some darker topics as well as cause to question Harry's morality (in later chapters), but it hasn't gotten anywhere near Renegade-Cause kind of effed up so far. Good plot, solid story-telling and one cool, bad-ass Harry - I can only recommend.
    FF summary: The Dementor attack on Harry leaves him kissed with his wand broken in an alleyway. Somehow surviving, the mystery remains unanswered as the new year draws closer, buried by the looming conflict the Order scrambles to prepare for. Buried by the prospect of his toughest year at Hogwarts yet. In the face of his fate, what can he do but keep moving forwards?

10. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

It's currently languishing in Almost Recommended. I enjoyed it up until fairly recently, there were some plot points I felt were extremely contrived and haven't picked it up since.

11. LiquidThought

LiquidThought Squib

High Score:
    If you mean the recent freeing Lady Hogwarts twist, I can relate. I also struggled with Narcissa's constant presence and Harry's way of protecting her quite a bit. But I think the fic might still take a turn for the better, especially after the last two chapters.