1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Hello Everyone, this is my introduction

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Lady Emerald, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

And?

I don't understand your reservation on the matter?

There are people (like myself) out there who are like that and in a casual conversation with friends or family, it's not that big of a deal if you're not using them to seriously insult someone (which, incidently, can be done without having to use aformentioned 'swear' words).

If there's no serious (meaning non-sarcastic/dry usage of) offensive intent behind the words, it kind of takes the point out of them being profane.

2. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

What the fucking fuck? If someone fucks fuckedly, you can't say otherwise. Its bad form.

U mad? :awesome

Part of the purpose of cursing is to add extra emphasis onto something. It's particularly effective when the person in question swears little, but as people using such language is incredibly common in reality, that dosen't really matter much. People tossing the occasional swear into dialogue adds a degree of realism into the story, and I myself am actually annoyed far more when people use words such as 'heck' or 'darn' in order to avoid swearing.

Also worth pointing out that some things require curse words in order to be appropriately described.

Unless you were referring to the use of swears within the narrative, which is a different matter. That can be annoying as hell, unless it's written in first or second person.

It sounds like you're trying to come across like this:
    'Swearing is an unintelligent and unnecessary manner of communication that I disapprove of, and when an author uses excessive amounts of language it displays a lack of creativity.'

You're really coming across like this:
    'Swearing is dumb and for poopyheads, herpy derp derp.'

To me, anyway.

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Profanity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.

(and if you enjoy a lack of profanity, why the shit did you decide to join DLP?)