1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Cinduri, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Cinduri

Cinduri Squib

Hi

I'll start my introduction here by saying that English is not my native language, so there might be some silly grammar and spelling mistakes at time. My user name Cinduri was created for a role playing character I created a few years back and it has stuck with me since then.

Reading Fanfics was something I got into a good four years back I think it was, when I found the fanfiction section at hpana.com and an AU story about Dumbledore's life. After that I read a good amount of different stories for a year or so before I slowly drifted away from it all. Then in the start of 2010 I picked it up again when a friend showed me a well written James/Lily fic, a pairing that I nowadays refuse to read for several reasons. The largest one being that James is rarely written in any positive way and therefore makes it hard for me to like him. Mostly it gives me a feeling of what did Lily do to deserve him. ( Furthermore Harry/Ginny usually gives me that very feeling as well, but about Ginny of course. )

I avoid slash fics and self inserts at all costs, not that I have anything against slash, but it's not something I remotely enjoy reading. What I do like to read is a good Independent Harry fic, or in the rare cases it happens a good Time Travel fic. Favorite pairings are Harry/Daphne and Harry/Tonks.

Things that I find destroys otherwise good pieces are overuse of Dobby(or any house elf), they have their uses. Having the ability to make Harry all powerful or a spoiled brat that calls for them to do everything for him is not one of them. Bashing is something I could accept in fics written purely for Humor or Parody, but badly written chars otherwise takes away from the story as a whole. My last major problem is the wonderful Heir-of-every-major-wizard-in-history plot device that pops up more often then one would like. I can handle being one persons heir possibly, but Harry Ravenclaw-Gryffindor-Hufflepuff-Slytherin-Merlin-La Fey makes me bang my head against the table.

Personal favorite fics are Hope by Jeconias and The Fallen by Magic_Writer16

Outside of Harry Potter fics I also read a good amount of those from my favorite TV show Buffy. A wonderful show that has some seriously good character development overall. I also read some Naruto fanfics and Mass Effect. That's it for now.