1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hello. I plan on writing a fanfiction, but...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by SeraphinaMetaviel, Mar 4, 2016.

1. SeraphinaMetaviel

SeraphinaMetaviel Squib

High Score:
    Stop that. She's obviously trolling you with that crap. This is not a real fic, it's someone messing with you.

---------- Post automerged at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Alright, I'll write her first day in Hogwarts.

---------- Post automerged at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Should she deal with any hate for what she is? Being descended from magical Witch-Hunters and all.

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'm not saying you should abandon your plans for your Big Damn Story. Keep sketching on it, but put it on the backburned for now.

Your first attempt at fanfiction should probably be a short-ish character piece. Take this one as an example:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8461800/1/The-Twine-Bracelet

This might be aiming pretty high, but that's sort of what you might wanna shoot for. A story that expands on some as of yet unexplored part of the HP verse, enriches it vastly, without contradicting or breaking anything.

Or you can just go AU, with some "What if" concept.

OC characters aren't always bad, but this is Harry Potter fanfiction. If Harry Potter isn't the center of it, then you're doing it wrong. The question you need to answer is: If I add this OC, does it make the story better? Or rather, could I tell this story without this OC?

If you could, proceed without it.

As for your OC villain. I can see people having issues with Voldemort. What you need to do is make him scarier. Show why people follow him - how he motivates loyalty instead of just tossing around random Crucios at people who annoy him.

Show us his plan - the world he envisions - and he'll be a far more tangible threat.

Last but not least, do not expect your first story to be a slam hit. Don't even expect people to like it. Don't take the criticism personally and use it to improve. Welcome to DLP. Best of luck! :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  3. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I suggest you read these three fanfiction series as they might help you. They deal with OC characters and/or post-canon.

1) Alexandra Quick series - https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1374917/Inverarity
    This is probably one of the only Harry Potter Series that could actually become it's own published book. The author only uses the Harry Potter world... everything else is different. It deals with a muggleborn girl in America who receives her letter for a magical school. The girl is also not a mary sue at all. Half the time you can't even stand her.

2) James Potter Series - http://www.gnormanlippe******/
    I've only read the first book, but it deals with Harry Potter's son and the adventures he gets up to at Hogwarts. Many people thought this was J.K. Rowling publishing a new series, but it's just fancy fanfiction. It may give you more of an idea of how things have changed after canon.

3) Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5353809/1/
    This is just a very well-written series that takes place outside of Hogwarts. There are tons of OC characters that actually feel like people instead of cardboard cut outs. His magic is also very refreshing.

These stories show that it is possible to have an OC character or have the story take place at a different school. It's hard, but do-able. I would love to see more stories that take place in other magical schools, like the one we just learned about in Alexandria, Egypt. It seems that most the time the story falls apart because the plot never goes anywhere, or the characters are just awful.

Also keep in mind that a seven book series is going to take YEARS. I would recommend starting with something much smaller.

4. basium1

basium1 Second Year DLP Supporter

I am actually quite guilty of fanfiction centered around original characters, although its more like I'm trying to correct everything wrong with the average Mary Sue that pops up. We'll be using my OC Adhara as an example of how to make a decent OC.

Step1: What is their history and a few basic facts about them?

1 - She is Sirius's secret daughter from a Slytherin
    2 - She did not have a happy childhood
    3 - She was born May 9, 1981 (I use the HP-Lexicon calendar events to write)

Step2: What are some fun facts about her?

1 - She is in Slytherin
    2 - She likes to garden mundane plants
    3 - She looks like Sirius

Step3: What are some not-so-fun facts about her?

1 - She grew up abused by her mother
    2 - Owls hate her
    3 - She is mute

Step4: Where is her point of divergence?

Answer: She enters Harry's life on her birthday, although we start her story the summer before.

Step5: Start plotting it bit by bit, year by year, or section by section.

You'll have to wait to see what happens.

Step6: Start writing on google docs while letting it sit on the shelf from time to time.

I also found a main beta to help me out in #thestudy

Step7: ???

Publish maybe? I haven't gotten that far.

5. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I really hope you're being sarcastic about this 'decent' OC of yours.

The first and probably only rule for writing 'abused characters' is DON'T.

If you think you can write them, please disabuse yourself of that notion.

And I get the feeling you're not all that fond of this character anyway. She's abused, she's a mute, she's in Slytherin, owls hate her and worst of all... she looks like a MAN .

Give the girl a break will ya?

6. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have the urge to write an abused character just to prove you wrong, Saturn.

7. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

You totally should.

Either the story will suck and I'll get to say 'I told you so' or it will actually be good and I'll have something to look forward to.

Don't see a downside here tbh.

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

There are rules of what to do and not do. Then there's the rule that any really good author has the freedom to tell the rules go fuck themselves :p

9. Knight

Knight Disappeared

High Score:
    First of all, figure out a plot. It doesn't have to be a page long. It doesn't even have to be a paragraph long. Just think of one key even you want to happen in your fic and write about how to get to that point or about what happens because of that event.

Second, since you're writing an OC you need to be extremely careful with how you write her. To help you with this, I recommend listing her good points and her bad points. Her bad points should be at least 20% more than her good points.

As for your villain: While it boggles my mind on why you would wish tohave both an OC protagonist and an OC antagonist, have you thought about using Grindelwald?