1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hello there

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Padishah Emperor, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Padishah Emperor

Padishah Emperor Squib

Padishah Emperor here, and some of you may be able to tell from my username that I'm quite a fan of the Dune series (that is excluding KJA's nonsense of course).

I'm a 19 year old student currently studying philosophy at the University of Birmingham, who hopes one day he may become as influential as philosophical greats like Daniel Dennett, David Chalmers, Saul Kripke and of course, the wonderful Bertrand Russell. I'm especially fascinated by the hard problem of consciousness, with Chalmers' the Conscious Mind being a personal favourite.

I occassionaly post on Spacebattles (as Field Marshal), and inhabited the Fictionalley forums a few years back. As well as Dune, I'm a fan of Doctor Who, Lovecraft, LotR, Hellboy, True Blood, Hellsing and obviously, Harry Potter (for the most part anyway).

The reason why I've joined DLP is that I want to improve and become a better author. Currently I'm writing a Doctor Who/Dune crossover... but having looked it over, I don't think its that great. In fact the best thing to do may be to cannibalize it and use the best bits for another fic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5935380/1/Oedipus

I've thought about restarting it as primarily a HP fanfic, with most of the original plot discarded and Doctor Who/Dune much further in the background. Also there'd be quite a bit of Lovecraft in there too.

As well as this, I hope to use DLP to keep trying to find high quality fanfiction. Indeed, I'd have never found "Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived" or Jbern's work if it wasn't for this site.

So there you have it. And I certainly hope I enjoy my stay.

2. Sisgood

Sisgood Squib

Hi Padishah Emperor!

Is it sad that I didn't know even ONE of those philosophical greats that were mentioned? It would be had I taken Philosophy in college but as I didn't... Meh.

I'm an ancient history geek myself so if it happened after 1800 and didn't include a discovery about astronomy... or happy fun inventions... over my head dude.

Welcome though! :p

3. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Welcome, Padishah; I hope you enjoy your stay. Any fave movies?

4. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Welcome Padishah Emperor.

The beginning is a very delicate time.

Know then that you have already made a decent impression.

As for your fic, throw it up in the Misc Work by Author section if you want. I know that there are more than a few Dune and Dr. Who fans here, so I'm sure you'll find a few people willing to offer thoughts and criticisms. I'll take a gander at it later, but it's a very interesting crossover, quite a few possibilities.

If you're a fan of Lovecraft, you should take a look at Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod. Pretty sure it's regarded as the the best HP/Lovecraft crossover to date.

What are your thoughts on the dune Movie/Miniseries'?

It's more of a guideline than a rule, but new people shouldn't post in other people's introductions. Unless of course they can contribute something of worth to the conversation. Which you didn't.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  5. CareOtters

CareOtters Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I took a peek at your fic. You might be right when you say it can use some work, but it's definitely interesting and worth a read.

Stick around for a bit. You seem like a decent guy - and I know a girl with great tits who goes to the University of Birmingham, so you've made a good impression on me just by going there. :awesome

I've not read much of Dune, but liked what I have. Now I'm suddenly beset by a desire to write about Harry Potter attempting to survive among a similarly harsh desert culture. Hmm...

Tl;dr, welcome.

This is a secret,
    but you're cool enough to get
    welcoming haiku.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  6. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Welcome to our forums. Do be sure to read the announcements and rules if you haven't already. It would be a shame to see such a promising newbie get banhammered.

Have a cookie.
    [​IMG]

7. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Your cookie looks like a cow pat.

Welcome, OP.

8. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I liked Dune as well, but mainly for the ideas he incorporated and the characters. When it comes to the prose, it was a bit...dry. :p.

Though, Harry going to Dune would be interesting, considering his set of morals are not shared by, I don't think, anyone in that universe.

OP: We've had some questionable entries these past few days. Example above being sisgood. To contribute to a forum, it's best to actually post somewhere besides the Intro page.

Besides that, welcome. Don't forget that if you receive feedback for your fic to give it back in guide. Lots of awesome writers on here.

Just let them die, please.
    Let's stop beating the dead horse.
    Bandwagons are fun.