1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Help Creating Cold War Era Spell Books

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Novamute, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

I was thinking of trying to put out a few spell books that would have been created by the IFW acting as sort of a magical NATO and Warsaw Pact magical nations during the Cold War era. What I am looking for are good translators and/or dictionaries for Latin and Russian online in order to write up proper spell names.

Edit: Well I feel all Gin-Tarded. I was looking in the common room and found the translator sticky. Still if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  2. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Well, I'm Russian and willing to help with, well, anything that has to do with Russia. Yay! Friendly Russky bloke, now giving tips on Latin, too, complete. Beh.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...

Novamute, how exactly would your propose the Cold War would have affected the magical world?

Remember, the Cold War is pretty much Voldemort's first rise time.

It's an interesting idea though.

The Cold war caused by Dementors breeding? Or Muggle officials under the Imperius? You could come up with some interesting ideas.

4. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

Well the initial idea centered around the old aircraft and armor identification guides that each side had. It would give the type of vehicle, it's NATO or Warsaw Pact designation and it's capabilities; ie. SU-27 "Flanker". Taure's questions though have sparked some interesting brainstorming though. First off it is just my logical mind thinking that if most of the industrialized nations at the time were involved in this conflict it would be plausible that the magical communities would be involved as well. Perhaps the muggle governments used there magical bretheren to pursue a more active conflict. This could give magical reasons to some of the era's worst disasters. Things like the Challenger disaster and Chernobyl were actually caused by the warring magical communities. Perhaps during his quest for knowledge and power after the fall of Grindlewald and the end of World War Two Voldemort is contacted by the Soviet magical equivalent of the KGB. In exchange for access to knowledge and power he agrees to return to England to destabalise the British magical community. Seeing as how this fits in with his plans of domination he readily agrees. The Soviets see this as the perfect opportunity to keep the British off balance in the event that there is a major conflict. This definately gives me an interesting idea. I will have to start another thread soon to bounce some ideas around.