1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Hermione Granger and the Very Blue Morning By Aelfwine - PG13 - One Shot

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jearom, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

Title: Hermione Granger and the Very Blue Morning
    Author: Aelfwine
    Rating: PG-13
    Genre: Humor/Parody
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody
    Pairing: None
    Published: February 14, 2008
    Updated: February 23, 2008
    Words: 1466

Summary: One morning in Care of Magical Creatures, Hermione discovers that a creature from her childhood cartoons is, in fact, real. Unfortunately, they're not much like they were on the telly...
    Link: http://www.ficwad.com/story/89899

Smurfs fighting to the DEATH!!!!!

5/5.

Checked by Minion, October 25, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Hmm, that was pretty interesting but clearly not enough to rate. I would like to see something like this in some fic, though. Oh, and a betting pool on Ron and Hermione hooking up is way overused.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't think I've come across it in HP before. It's definitely way overused in Stargate fics though. It does piss me off.

It's a below-average fic only notable because it has psycho-Smurfs and a Hagrid who thinks little people must live inside muggle TVs - how else would they get on the screen?

Yak.

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Some ideas are funny in theory and full of fail in practice.

I've seen worse ideas than this, but I didn't even chuckle reading it, so it's leaning towards the fail side.

2/5 because there's nothing really wrong with it. Just nothing worth reading or recommending here.

5. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Count yourself lucky then. Sometimes I think those betting pools are following me.

6. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I almost cracked a smile while reading this. Almost.

1/5

7. malaga

malaga Auror

The worst thing for betting pools is House/Wilson from House M.D.

I guess this is alright, but it didn't make me... anything really. No laughter, no smiles, no tears. Just something vaguely dull. 2/5

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I did find the basic premise to be amusing. Hermione sees them and thinks, "Ooh, smurfs! How adorable!" and then is harshly disabused of those happy childhood notions when the little bastards viciously and carelessly tear each other apart before her eyes.

Hermione is one of those odd ducks, the idealist who is also a pragmatist. She wants to believe that the world is (or at least could be) all fluffy bunnies and rainbows, but at the same time, she's willing to do nearly whatever it takes to achieve her goals; things like handing Umbridge to the centaurs and imprisoning, then blackmailing Rita Skeeter with the threat of time in Azkaban.

A bit tangential to this thread, but I find the dichotomy amusing.

And, yes, the relationship betting pool is one of the biggest cliches in fanfic. Whole ficlets have been built on this premise, though typically it is employed in brief scenes.

It's so easy and requires so little thought to use, that the writer can plunk it down wherever it's convenient. It's literally a throw-away line that can be inserted anywhere for the purposes of showing that the background characters actually give enough of a shit about the main characters to wager on their love lives. It's also used to inject some humor, but usually such efforts fail.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  9. JCCS

JCCS Third Year

The /'s everywhere started to get to me. The premise was amusing, I guess, but it just didn't do it for me.
    I really don't know what to rate it, but it's not really deserving of the Humor Section.

10. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

It was okay, could have been better. 2.5/5 for me. Rounding up to a 3. Didn't really make me laugh.