1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hogwarts Houses Divided by Inverarity -T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ray243, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Title: Hogwarts Houses Divided
    Author: Inverarity
    Rating: T
    Genre: Fantasy/Adventure
    DLP Category: General?
    Pairing: None at the moment
    Chapters: 32
    Words: 205,083
    Updated: April 22, 2008
    Published: December 30, 2007

Summary: The war is over, and all is well, they say, but the wounds remain unhealed. Bitterness divides the Houses of Hogwarts. Can the first children born since the war's end begin a new era, or will the enmities of their parents be their permanent legacy?

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3979062/1/Hogwarts_Houses_Divided\

It's not that easy to find a decent next generation fanfic around, that actually tried to go against the flow. Many NG fanfiction tends to overuse the Dark overlord plot, which gets boring after a while. The issues and problems faced by the children in this story is very different from other fanfiction.

Just a side note, this is a story about Teddy Lupin as opposed to the Potter kids, and his own adventure at hogwarts. The only thing that annoys me is the fact that Lupin seems too mature at times as an eleven year old.

Other than that, there are many interesting OC being fleshed out, which is a plus, given that there are not many fanfiction with well developed OC.

I would love to see a sequel to this fanfiction.

4/5.

Checked by Minion, August 19, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Procyon

Procyon Squib

I'm only a few chapters into the story, but I'm interested already. The characters are well developed- OCs now and then but woven into the story quite nicely- and there is a decent chapter length.

4/5

3. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

My first and foremost problem with this fic is that its not Harry-centric. While I might occasionally read a non-Harry-centric story, when I'm incredibly bored and have time to waste, I would still not read a story from this particular time period i.e. the next-gen going to Hogwarts.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that in fics like these, you're dealing with a bunch of OC's that have no background in canon apart from being some or the other character's son/daughter. Reading such fics when they're not in the Humour/Parody category is a waste of my time.

I read about a couple of chapters and can see that its well written with a few good elements to it. One of the few stories that have a good flow to them and the conversations/dialogue is pretty good too.

To sum up, there is no hook to keep me on this fic. Recycling bin for sure, but definitely not for the library.

2/5 from me.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  4. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

I'm already in chapter 21 and while I skimmed through some paragraphs, the story was good enough to keep me interested..
    While not my favorite type of fanfiction, in these dire times where no good fanfictions appear, this is good enough to keep me busy.

An original idea and a couple of well characterized OCs are rare nowadays.
    3/5 in my opinion.. not library worthy since it's not Harry-centric, but the recycling bin material for sure.

5. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

I have to ask, are you writing a review based on your own personal taste as compared to writing for other people who may be interested in this story?

Just because you don't like certain type of story is no grounds to rate it bad.

6. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Quite the contrary. Ratings are always subjective, so if someone doesn't like the story there is no reason at all to give it a high rating.

Besides, DLP's general taste is for Harry centric stories.

Didn't read, won't rate.

7. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

@ray243 : Yes, although my dislike of the fic may have affected my given rating (I see nothing wrong with this fact), there were other reasons behind the vote. Any rating above 3/5 would indicate that I would like to see this fic in the library, which is simply not true. The extra -1 point would be for the fact that there's nothing to make a reader(me) keep reading this fic, i.e. the hook, nothing to catch my interest. As I've stated all this in my previous post, I hope I'm more clear now.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Hogwarts Houses Divided by Inverarity - T

Yes, this is a re-submission. I'm asking for this to be reconsidered, given that any time someone asks for a decent next-gen story, this is mentioned.

Title: Hogwarts Houses Divided
    Author: Inverarity
    Rating: T
    Genre: Fantasy/Adventure
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Summary: The war is over, and all is well, they say, but the wounds remain unhealed. Bitterness divides the Houses of Hogwarts. Can the first children born since the war's end begin a new era, or will the enmities of their parents be their permanent legacy?

The previous thread of review seems to lack any reasonable cause for rejection. I just read the story, and it's an amazing piece of fiction- well structured and paced, with all characters acting close to their age and yet dealing with issues that aren't limited to what a firstie 'should' have to handle.

The primary character is Teddy Lupin, but the story also follows the experiences of three other first-years and clearly defines them in thought, speech and action. And there's plenty of action.

If I had any complaints, it's that the author occasionally changed viewpoint character in the midst of a scene, in order to show individual reactions without having to recount the scene over. It can be jarring, but it's well-identified whose thoughts we're following.

I want to particularly highlight two other merits for this story; goblins and house-elves act as they appear in canon, with extrapolation. That's as rare as Alexandrite. The other factor is its status: long and complete.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  9. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This was one of the very first harry Potter fics that I ever read, and it's the reason that to this day I still live in hope of finding some more decent next-gen fics. What it does very successfully, and what similar stories fail to do, is it manages to make the children more than copies of their parents, Teddy Lupin isn't just Remus with blue hair. It also manages the division between the houses well, the prejudices are very believable, another thing rarely achieved.

4/5

10. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read the first chapter and honestly looking at the first thread it doesn't look like this got a fair chance at all.

I'm going to wait to rate, but this can be counted as a positive review with a tentative 4.5/5

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, I remember checking this one out the last time it was recced. Guess I'll have to review now, to make sure this doesn't pop up again =/

Utterly bland. Second generation fics are worthless shit. I'm with trooper here - they are utterly boring, OC-filled wastes of time. Extremely few authors are able to make a fic like that interesting, with that special hook to keep you interested. This author isn't one of them. All the tension feels fake, and it just doesn't matter at all.

The fic itself is relatively well written, and the conversations flow smoothly, like said, but it's just supremely uninteresting. I only fully read the first few chapters, and skimmed through the rest, but the plot I saw - children being conveniently swapping beetween childish idiocy and adult-level intelligence, the usual friendship pledge, house separation, forced "unite or I won't sort!" Sorting Hat, the immediate expulsion from Hogwarts for doing anything barely aggressive or interesting - just blergh. Some of the twists were well done, but the mass of OCs and names that just mean nothing to me kills the fic.

Fuck second generation fics.

2/5

12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You have fun with that.

Decided to give it another go. Easy 4/5, even though next-gen fics aren't my favorite thing. Maybe by the end I'll uprate it.

13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got about four or five chapters in and sort of lost interest. It's well written, with a nice attention to detail, but like Clerith I can't handle the mass of OCs that I've utterly no interest in. Inverarity's gig is expanding canon, but I don't want to read more canon, I want to read more fanfiction :p

3/5

14. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

I'm not going to rate this because I only read one chapter, but what I did read was decent. The plot doesn't really interest me but I might come back to it later.

15. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Inverarity is a good author, but the actual content is just bleh. I could and have read non-Harry centric stories before, when they are suitably awesome with great hooks. This story and the Quick series just don't hit the right spots with me. I think the author should just skip all the OC stuff and just go right to original fiction, it's only like another halfstep and you're there.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This has been on my list of things to read for a while. I've read one other well-written story/series featuring Teddy going to Hogwarts (one by Fernwithy, though I can't recall the name), but it's been years.

Giving it a go now, but I won't have time to read the whole thing before I need to leave tonight.

I've read the first several chapters and all I can say for certain is that this definitely deserves to be at least in the Recycling Bin, not the Trash Bin. It's well written, the characters are reasonably interesting, there's an undercurrent leftover from the War that exerts an influence, etc.

I really liked the little scene with Bode in the Ravenclaw dorm room, actually, for that.

I'm going to tentatively rate it at 3.5/5 for what I've read so far. Whether or not I round that up or down I'll know once I've finished the story.

Edit1: Ok, the huge deal that everyone made out of Teddy's potion was a bit ridiculous. I get that the Headmistress had to make it into a big deal, given the new rules instated, but it sure as heck wasn't something for Harry/Neville/Andromeda to be so disappointed about. Blown way out of proportion imo.

Edit2: This is a somewhat interesting conversation...
    In a way, that's part of the problem that keeps me from giving this story a higher rating. So far the primary difficulty in this story is that there is a heck of a lot of bad feeling between the houses and someone has been going around stealing wands. Does that matter? Yes. Does it matter enough? Not really, not compared to the kinds of plots people tend to expect when reading HP fics, especially ones featuring OCs.

Edit3: End of Chapter 20 we're finally getting somewhere slightly more serious, but that's a long ways in. I guess I can buy that in this particular situation (I.e. Teddy's generation attending school from their POV) there shouldn't actually be a major issue for them to deal with, but I still feel like there's something missing from the plot. (Granted Chapter 23 ratcheted things up another notch, but again we're 2/3 through the story).

Edit4: The whole bit with the Goblin Rebellion, actual fatalities, and so on was really interesting. Teddy's abilities seem a bit more, hm, powerful than I'd expect though. The whole thing was actually a sort of issue I could see happening though, and it beats having another Dark Lord or something pop up out of the blue. *thumbs up* for the plot in the last third of the story.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  17. Kinser

Kinser Fourth Year

You know...I really wanted to read this. But I got three paragraphs in and just could tell it would be an OC fest that would not interest me. Skimming over the first chapter I can not see very many writing flaws.

I'd give this a 2/5 and I'm being generous but as this is something that wouldn't interest me anyway I needed a hook right away and didn't get it.

18. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Wow, never expected to see this appear on DLP again. :D

FWIW, Hogwarts Houses Divided is the second story I ever wrote (after the first Alexandra Quick story). It was never betaed, and unlike the AQ books, it wasn't a finished work when I began posting it. (It remains the only story I have ever posted while I'm still writing a few chapters ahead... I will have to try that again someday.)

That's not offered as an excuse - I am not in the least ashamed of HHD, and it remains more popular than my AQ series to this day. But, that's why it's different from my other stories and maybe not as tightly plotted. There are certainly a few things I would change if I ever did a rewrite, but that's not likely to happen.

19. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Please don't do a rewrite. Do a sequel instead. :D

20. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

This.

I loved the first story, and wouldn't mind seeing another :)