1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Home streaming solutions.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by KGB, Jul 19, 2016.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Had a sale at my favorite local online shop and ended up picking a 4k tv on the cheap. So my old Tv has gone into the bedroom. Therefore I need something to pump content to more than one screen.

I don't like the smart tv ui's at all and need to set up a home media server of some sort, but just hooking up an old laptop won't cut it anymore.

So anyone have a suggestion for a decent home media solution? I looked into plex and the idea that I have to subscribe to something doesn't appeal to me at all. Also don't really need to streaming media over the internet to anywhere in the world option.

I have my brothers old pc chassis with the mobo, cpu and ram still in there, so perhaps I can set up some sort of a media server, if I buy a some sort of a gpu. But I am really rather outside of my comfort zone so perhaps I don't need to?

2. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

You don't need to subscribe for Plex to work. Plex subscription is only required if you want to stream through the internet. It will work on your local network without any issues.

Kodi is also an option for streaming.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Chromecast for all your home streaming needs.

youtube, twitch, netflix and more stream natively in addition to straight tab casting.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Along those lines, Chromecast is literally built into a number of TVs. I know the OP said he doesn't want to stream through the television, but depending on the TV you have, it might simply be redundant with no upside to stream into a stand-alone machine, then to the TV.

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Checked out plex again. Once I understood that it does home network streaming it looked like the thing I wanted. Got excited for the "free unlimted streaming to your android device from your media server.". Only to discover that when you load up the app it's "LOL 6 euro plz". I would call that a scam tbh. It's plastered all over their website and you only see that you have to pay if you install the app.

Kodi it is than I guess

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  6. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

If your android device and the server are on the same network, it should work iirc.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Chromecast is the best. As far as streaming with an unrooted chromecast I would suggest VideoLAN. Or Cast Box. Plex has a pretty UI but really isn't that great and everything else is outdated and barely running anymore or the design asthetics suck. I have a Nexus Player and it works amazing. I can stream anything to any TV I own.

8. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Why do you need to root the chromecast? What is the benefit?

My two solutions are:
    Chromecast, usually used for youtube/netflix.
    TV plugged into network, external HD plugged into TV. Movies/TV Shows DL straight to HD.

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You root because it's the easiest way to play local content.

10. Nae

Nae The Violent

Wait, how do I root chrome cast Zombie? I've been using VideoStream (chrome app) to stream local files to Chromecast. It's a bitch because for any reasonably high definition file, it gets super slow or just stops.

And wasn't VLC Player coming out with a local Chromecast streaming solution? :(

11. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

My experience with ChromeCast was that on anything exceeding smartphone resolution it lags. Streaming 720p from my computer was a pain, and I haven't touched the thing since.

12. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Do you guys have 1st or 2nd gen Chromecasts? I never had any stuttering/quality loss etc. Even on a 15gb+ movie. It just works.

I do have the Chromecast less than 2 meters away from the router, so perhaps that helps also.