1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Honor Thy Masters by gabriel blessing - M - Kenichi tMD/Bakemonogatari

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by DrSarcasm, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Paradox

Paradox Squib

Ive read HSD its a great manga. It starts out pretty bland but the further it gets in the better it gets. Its nothing to amazing, but the characters are well developed and it has its many moments.

Now this story....didn't like it from the start. Its well written but the crossover in my mind never fit.

3/5

2. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

It was updated 6/28 but since I don't have it on alert, I didn't realize till now. Nevertheless, the new chapter is awesome. :D

3. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

It is indeed. I wasn't sold on the Kenichi-as-Araragi thing until I actually read some of the novels. The over-analytical and wordy style of Gabriel actually works really well with the novel's style, and with Kenichi already practicing the Sei form of combat, may actually work.

What I'm interested in finding out is what direction Gabe is going to go with this story. He seems to be channeling his 'make the protagonist's life hell' feel into this story. I'm almost wondering if we'll get another On Four Legs ending--he accomplishes what he set out to do, but he loses all else along the way. Kind of exciting.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

New chapter
    and what a long one too - 31k words!

I had some stuff to do, but figured I'd read the update first. Didn't realize it'd take 2 hours to do it. =S

Shigure was hilarious with all her sexual innuendo this chapter.

I do wonder where gabriel_blessing will go from here though. Basically with Shinobu awake, and all of his secrets shown to everyone, there's not really much left is there?

5. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Good update, only one more chapter and knowing Gabe's usual shorter stories its going to be an epilogue of some form or another. I do like his cross-overs with Bakemonogatari.

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pretty good chapter, really like this story.

As for how it can continue, well, it can resolve the matter between Kenichi and the women.

7. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

And now it's finished.

Kind of a whole mess of filler with very little of the remaining story threads actually being resolved. Somewhat irritating, but still enjoyable. I did like Shinobu's interactions with just about everyone; I really wish there had been more about the other masters learning how to deal with her, and other kai.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Certainly was enjoyable and fun to read, but felt like an anticlimatic ending for a fic like this. More like random comical scenes that would fit an omake or filler chapter. Then again, I can't really think of any other way to end a fic like this. Most of the big stuff happened last chapter anyway.

Well, I guess this means gabriel_blessing will move back onto In Flight. Been waiting for the next chap for that impatiently...

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The last scene wasn't a good end to it, in my opinion. It felt weak and lacking. The scenes leading up to it felt like they were leading to a pay off, and it never arrived.

10. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Seconded. It reminded me of how his Medaka Box I read recently where it's building up to a decent conclusion and then veers off in a different direction and cuts the journey short.

It's like it went: "All that significant stuff you were expecting at the end? Doesn't really matter. Goodbye."

11. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

It's a shame because he *can* write impactful endings. Particularly, Hill of Swords and Don't Look were good examples of it.

Thinking about it, the whole summoning Shinobu thing kinda wrecked the potential of the fic (as fun as it was). The story could have been focused more around his friends finding out about all his involvement in the Nightworld, accepting him, Shigure/Kenichi and him disclosing all his secrets - which is kinda where the last chapter ended at. Unfortunately, you can't just end there with the appearance of Shinobu - so we got this half assed chapter tacked on.

12. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I think it would have been better if the coma had been limited to a few days or a week so things are relatively fresh, and then Kenichi returns to full consciousness during the first scene. From that point there'd be various explanations, meetings and decisions as the plot threads are resolved and everyone deals with the changes Kenichi brought to them.

13. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Honestly? I think that would cause far more angst than needed, or the fic just won't end. Certainly, with Shinobu back, there's a lot more direction the fic can go. But if he did that, the fic won't end, ever. I thought the whole "he will deal with the loose ends with his friends supporting him" was a pretty good conclusion.