1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How do YOU find good fics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ghosthree3, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I only ask because my method of searching for all stories with the character Harry P. in them (though we can eliminate Draco and Ginny now yay! edit: oh and Snape) is quite inefficient and slow. I can spend a good hour scrolling through pages, open about 5 'promising' stories and then end up closing most if not all of them a few chapters in.

I know there's a lot of good fics with no character tag at all (annoyingly) too, which I obviously miss completely, but just thinking about searching with no kind of filter at all gives me nightmares.

Searching pairings I currently have an interest in often leads to skipping over 10s of harem fics too (not that these don't appear when I only have Harry listed), I wish that FF.Net had mandatory boolean Harem and Slash tags we could filter for.

Since I pretty much only read things over 100k it does cut down on my searching a lot, but it's still not good enough.

How do you guys find promising material?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I hear there's a site where people post fanfic recommendations and others review them.

3. Ghosthree3

Yes, but that site doesn't have everything reviewed, and a good portion of it can be eliminated per person depending on their personal preferences and guilty pleasures.

EDIT: Also new things kind of stopped being added a while ago. Not sure if less fics (good anyway) are being written these days is the reason, or people have just lost interest here.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The DLP Library and Almost Recommended threads.

New stories submitted to PatronusCharm.

C2s: The DLP C2, obviously. Also, C2s by people who have decent taste in stories (nonjon's, DobbyElfLord's, mine, etc.)

FF.net email updates from authors whom I follow.

The "Updated Fics" thread on Beyond the Veil.

Occasionally, decent stuff will pop up in /r/hpfanfiction or the SpaceBattles HP fanfiction thread, but this is really hit-or-miss.

5. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I only search for fics rarely, but when I do I tend to have some luck. I have a list of pretty much every fic author I've ever enjoyed, so I'll go to their profiles and look for other things they've written which has led me to entirely new fandoms a few times. After that, I check their favorites for both stories and authors. With that new list, I run through and read the interesting ones. When I find some that I particularly enjoy, I go up a level and check that author's favorites.

It might not be very efficient at times, but my ratio of chaff/content is pretty low. The rest of the time I rely on DLP. The almost recommended threads have quite a few guilty pleasures in them, so they're worth checking out if you haven't already.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Pers on the Almost Recommended threads.

6. Ghosthree3

Will definitely take a look in the almost recommended threads. C2s sound interesting too.

I have on occasion looked at authors favourite stories/authors. Sometimes this is profitable, sometimes their taste seems to have...evolved, since adding those stories.

EDIT: Sometimes they seem to add everything they come across too. People with 200 favourite stories are either very tolerant or VERY dedicated.

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dunno if this is a weird way to do it, but it's always been the Favorite's List of authors for me.

Whenever I find a story I enjoy, I check the author's page and look at their favorite's list. A lot of authors tend to write what they like, so you tend to find good stories in there that match the genre.

Indy Harry authors tend to favorite Indy Harry stories, so if you happen to like those, the favorite's list of one of those writers will likely get you a bunch of good stuff.

And hell, it's not even necessarily about the genre matching (though it helps), just going through a favorite's list will generally get you good quality stories. You'll start to see a lot of trends throughout the fandom and what folks enjoy. It's kind of interesting, sometimes.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's how I do it when I actually look for fics, which isn't too often anymore. Other than that I usually go by recommendations. I lost my taste for trawling through FFN a while ago.

9. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I use Scryer. To copy the forum notice: "Scryer has been released. Scryer is a search engine for fanfiction built for Ponyville members". It allows much more powerful searches.

10. Ghosthree3

Did that replace FFFN?

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In addition to Pers' methods, I also still occasionally trawl FF.Net, now that their filters are better.

Ratings: All
    Language: English
    Character: Harry Potter
    Words: > 10,000
    Sort by: Update date/Publish date

Exclude:

Character: Draco Malfoy
    Character: Severus Snape
    Genre: Hurt/Comfort

Going for a wordcount around 20,000-30,000 and sorting by publish date is a good way to find fics that are new and updating regularly.

12. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I use a filter similar to Taure's. But I combine it with Fanfiction.net - Liker script. It allows you to hide fics and authors. Saves a lot of time if you don't have to wade through the same shit over and over.

13. Ghosthree3

Yeah, I'm going to grab that, since I find myself reopening the same fics over and over even if they look somewhat familiar thinking "MAYBE it wasn't so bad. Right?". Since I can't remember all the fics I've ever read there's a chance it was actually good. Yeah. Right.

Might conflict with my current script though.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, pretty much that.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

How do I find good stories?

...lately, I don't.

But in general I'd use FFFN to look for stories outside of HP or Naruto, so long as FFFN was updated to list them. For the larger fandoms like HP and Naruto I tend to just look for recommendations. The fandoms are active enough that any new and fantastic story is going to turn up on my radar.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Scryer.darklordpotter.net is pretty dope too. Didn't really read what anyone else said, but you should try it out Raven built some pretty killer search tools.

17. Ghosthree3

Yep, trying it out now, there's not TOO much more it could have to satisfy me to be honest. There's only so many ways to filter fics based on summaries and tags.

18. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I like the depth it offers over the basic ffn search.

19. Ghosthree3

Makes you wonder how after all this time custom word count and summary filter (+- words) is not part of their standard search.

20. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

More fandoms will be rolled in to Scryer soon, promise. Forum upgrades are coming first, and Scryer's data will be a large part of making those upgrades successful.

Please feel free to drop feature requests for Scryer, I won't accept them all but feedback would help.