1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How do YOU find good fics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ghosthree3, Aug 6, 2014.

1. 18E

18E Squib

High Score:
    The only way I can find anything decent on AO3 is by going on the writers profile and seeing what they've bookmarked. Which is the basic way I find new fics in general as good writers tend to like good stories of the same type that they write.

2. Kyr

Kyr Squib

High Score:
    I've found TV Tropes good for promoting potentially well written fics to my attention. Generally the fics with their own Tropes page are of higher quality than the rest. Favorite hopping follows from there.

3. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm not familiar with TV tropes, is there a way to only browse fics with tropes pages?

4. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Yes.

EDIT:
    Ah, misunderstood. Still yes. Here.

Old post:

Eg: Harry Potter Recommendations Page

There are links to categories.

A lot of popular fandoms have a FanficRecs subpage such as this one.

Mind that while tvtropes list is better than nothing, it will contain fics you won't want, because, of course, the only prerequisite for the fic to be in the list is for anyone to recommend it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  5. DragonSin

DragonSin Disappeared

High Score:
    I tend to just type in random key phrases into the fanfiction site until I find something that appeals to me, I also make sure to sort by update date as Abandoned Fics and Fics where the author disappears from the face of the earth gives me depression.

6. Qazy2

Qazy2 Squib

High Score:
    I find most of my fics by looking at some of my favorite author's favorites tab. Most of the time they have good recommendations. I also look the more popular C2s.

7. prankster

prankster Squib

High Score:
    Agreed on checking C2s. the DLP C2 was actually what convinced me to finally register here.

8. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    Some good authors' favorites tab is a good source for me. I also search for stories with 'Harry P.' and '40K+' tags on, regularly.

9. douter

douter Sixth Year

High Score:
    I've been steadily working my way through the library list as well as recs in the story search, and if I like a story I will check out the author and see if anything else good or check their favorites. After that I will use Scryer to find anything that catches my eye. If that fails I try to wade through FF to find a gem.

10. fwank

fwank Squib

High Score:
    One per week I check ffnet choosing 1 week Publish Date and sorting by reviews/favourites. If I want to get surprised I check recommendations on hpfanfic subreddit. Sometimes people post fics from other sites, for which I don`t have time to go through.

11. Romulus

Romulus Squib

High Score:
    I find fics through the Harry Potter fanfiction reddit.

12. nwfan13

nwfan13 Squib

Usually I just filter ffn by Harry P. and various other characters that interest me once or twice a week. Not a particularly sophisticated method, and it misses the untagged new stories, but it is pretty quick and easy. That and checking out the newest fics up for review here get the job done for the most part though.

13. fzero

fzero Squib

Typically, when I come across an author with quality writing, I can go through his or her recommended authors/stories list to find other good fics. Quality authors tend to recognize stories as well.

14. Xillais

Xillais Squib

High Score:
    Usually, I trawl through countless of trash. Then I end up finding a gem.

15. SilverTaurus

SilverTaurus Muggle

High Score:
    It's getting harder and harder to find good fics suited to my fickle tastes, but I usually browse through other people's favorites as a first option. I occasionally sift through the murky waters of the recently published stories, but that mostly comes out as fruitless. I'll try out some of the new ways you guys have said and cross my fingers.

16. Toujourss Pur

Toujourss Pur First Year

High Score:
    I mostly use ffn search engine with a couple of filters, and have to put up with a lot of trash until I find story with an inviting summary - sadly, those stories are usually not good either. What helps the most, I think, is skimming through a good author's both favourite stories and authors lists once you find a story of theirs as they are likely to have similar tastes and high standards.

17. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    As I don't like to read dead fics (though I've already accepted it as a form of necessity) I usually go on ffn and filter by: updated within last month, sort by published date, over 40k words, English and filter one of bad pairings (Darco/Harry, Draco/Hermione, Snape/Hermione etc.) and then I look.

This way I can find fics that update often enough to give hope for their completion. Of course there is a lot of shit to wade through, but what can you do?

18. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Every couple of weeks filter through ff/HP with 20k+ w/o Snape/Draco/NextGen

19. Ravenlark

Ravenlark Squib

The C2s are quite helpful. I also sometimes randomly browse FF with the update date posted. A03 is kind of a mess but they occasionally have a good author like Seulo.

20. DominiqueLola

DominiqueLola Muggle

High Score:
    Yeah I like to go to C2's and sort by reviews. Usually the ones with higher review count correlates to the quality of the fic. But sometimes it could mean that the story hasn't been updated in yeeaaars since I ain't sorting it by 'update date'. Sad feels