1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hunger Games or Ender's Game?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sloth, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Exactly what it says on the tin.

1. Hunger Games

32 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Ender's Game

28 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

I love the Hunger Games, and I've heard some interesting things about Ender's Game (which I haven't seen, nor read). I'm mostly curious about general thoughts and preferences of everyone here--obviously the movies only, since this is under that thread.

(Note: that this is just based on the books and their qualities, not how much of an ass certain authors may have been.)

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

At the risk of not answering the question and being kind of a douche... I am perplexed. I have no idea why Hunger Games and Enders Game are being compared like this, other than that they both have "game" in the title. They're not similar in either tone or content.

I preferred The Hunger Games trilogy over the Ender's Game saga though (admittedly, I didn't read past Xenocide. Just gets eh), though I realize that won't be a popular opinion.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. Sloth

They're not being compared due to any particular similarity on the plot (or due to them having the word 'game' on the title), simply with the common themes that you see in the and in many movies: A dystopian future where children are not allowed to remain children and are flung into merciless and bloody battle for reasons that boggle the mind (entertainment/soldier), in which one special child who doesn't particularly want to lead is thrust into the role and evolves through it.
    Why compare these two? Because they came out at relatively the same timeframe, with the spirit of the story drumming along the same lines, and I'm curious to hear thoughts on who did it better.

TL;DR: I like presenting scenarios and starting discussions.

4. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I'm thinking of starting a poll too. It'll be called: "Apples or Oranges? "

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Personally, I'd go for apples. Most of the time, they don't make such a mess, and there's only the core you need to get rid of, instead of every little bit of orange skin or the orange corpse remains stuck under your nails.

On the other hand I'd say that I liked Hunger Games movie more than Ender's Game one, because I haven't seen the Ender's film yet, and I have enjoyed the Ender's Game book a lot more than the still unread Hunger Games books.

But, I guess, if we're being technical, there should be a way to compare two diffrently handled universes, if by pointing out similarities and differences.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

^

That being said I feel like The Hunger Games is more tightly start - middle - end and I liked it more.

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I loathed Enders Game, fanboy wet dream bullshit story.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Both are pretty meh, to be honest, but I probably disliked Ender's Game more. I've read the book (which isn't very good) so I saw the movie at what it really was: a cashgrab on an old title. Hunger Games is vastly overrated I feel. The basics of the plot aren't really that original, but the production quality of the movie was high enough to make you forgive that (I guess). I found the actual books to be a bit boring. So in a vacuum, I'd say I enjoyed Hunger Games more, but that's like saying I prefer vomit over diarrhea.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Haven't read the books (and I probably won't), but I've seen the movies. The new HG movie didn't do it for me. I didn't see those 'trained killers' in the Quarter Quell, I saw an old lady and killer monkeys. The first one was better, although the second one had cgi fire that didn't look like it was made in the early 90s. Plus I missed demonbeard.

EG had the potential to be epic, but wasn't.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never read the Hunger Games, but I hated Ender's Game.

11. Sloth

Weirdly, the comments seem to side more with Hunger Games, yet Ender's winning the actual poll.

One of Hunger's biggest problems (which I'm surprised the movie didn't fix, since they've actually been good at improving on the book), is their rushed, and randomly sudden endings--that whole bit with Katniss waking up at the end and Gale going "sup, Katniss, District 12's been nuked, District 13 is totally alive, we've been taken in, you're the messiah, and we're going to war. Also Peeta's been captured."

Me, in the audience: ...well that would have been f**king nice to SEE!

It just seems that Collins is just bad at endings, it's like she gets flustered and constantly hurries to wrap everything up in one paragraph.
    This trend will continue, worse, in movie 3.

That would be an exercise in redundancy--oranges all the way.
    (Apples are good too.)

12. Tairen

Tairen Muggle

I've watched Ender's Game and Hunger Games (1st and 2nd movie) but have only read the first two Ender's Game books.
    Out of the movies I enjoyed the effects in Ender's game more but I prefered Hunger Games. I thought the acting in both was a little disappointing.

13. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I wouldn't say loathing it but I've never seen more in it than mediocre 80s kid SF in the theme of "Wargames" from 1983. About Hunger Games I can only say that I enjoy watching Lawrence(Who doesn't?) but that's it. Never read the books nor do I care.

14. BadManners

BadManners DA Member DLP Supporter

Read only Ender's Game from the whole saga, disregard the movie. Don't expect high art though, it's still young adult fiction.
    Watch the Hunger Games movies if you really want to experience the story (or if you want to get some choice shots of J Law's ass), but actually just read Battle Royale instead because it's loads better.

15. Sloth

Lawrence IS the defining factor on whether I watch a movie or not. Dare I say, she is...the Law.
    ...Eh? Eeeeh?

Ahem, but yes, it seems like a lot of work to loathe a fictional series, even if it were terrible. But then, my handle's Sloth.

In yet another update, Ender's is still in the lead.

16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The actress for Hunger Games is awful and just looks weirdly mannish. Too many just... retarded moments in the first film like Peta (who was a laaaame character) and his cake decoration camo, the Truman Show like direction of the games themselves.

Also there was an insane amount of hype that made the letdown worse for me. Holy shit... never understood why it was such a phenomenon.

Ender's actor was talented, liked Harrison Ford, preferred the plot, and it was just more enjoyable for me.

And Hunger Games just looked grungy. The forest was so damn generic, I wasn't expecting something that looked like my backyard. Production values just struck me as an emperor-has-no-clothes type moment. Then again maybe the second one is better, with the inclusion of better actors such as Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Never saw the film of either, but Ender's Game the book set new nadirs of suckitude, a wish-fulfillment fantasy with some of the most poorly written children in literary history against a steaming pile of sociopathic fridge horror as backdrop.

It's one of the few rivals for Goodkind's Sword of Truth or James's Fifty Shades of Inner Goddess Grey in terms of innate horribleness.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Sure is hipster in this thread. I should clarify that I enjoyed the first Ender's Game book, never read past that, but enjoyed it. I may have read the second if that was the one that included speakers for the dead, because that was also neat. I consider most SF [maybe excluding Asimov and co] as really base and pulpy so I approach it that way, but I read books to be entertained and they are entertaining.

tl;dr I do like Ender's Game, I just felt that Hunger Games had probably a neater premise and a more concise 1-2-3.

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I read Ender's Game and kinda enjoyed it, but not enough to want to read it again or seek out the sequels or watch the film.

I watched Hunger Games and enjoyed it; not quite as much as the hype suggested I would, but enough that I went to see the second (not quite as good) and have given thought to reading the books.

So...Hunger Games, I guess?

20. Sloth

So I think it's fair to say this one is mostly over and the sort-of final score is Hunger Games 20, Ender's 21...consistently at odds with the content of the thread.
    I don't know why I find that impressive. Time to find me a movie.