1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Season 2017

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Lindsey, Sep 7, 2017.

1. theronin

theronin Order Member

I've got friends in Pinellas. I'm told all the stores have been sold out of water and gatorade etc since like Tuesday. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad in that area, but at this point it's anyone's guess... shit's crazy. Best of luck to you.

2. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm all the way up in Marion County and everyone's pretty spooked. We went from joking about hurricane parties to "Oh shit, we've run out of water" in less than a week. The lines at the gas stations wrap around the street. We're mostly under flash flood warnings and high windspeeds, but almost every projected model has the eye wall passing right over us. The place where I work has taken to calling it "Irmageddon".

3. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Newest update from the Euros. It's heading straight down the West Coast is seems. We are going to have fun @Wildfeather...

Least I will have a solid day to clean up everything so when the house falls apart will be slightly better.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Order Member

New EURO model is showing landfall around the Fort Meyers area.

This means Tampa will be experiencing the storm of the century, with very strong likelihood it will be worse. Afterall, it keeps the models keep tracking it further west. One more movement went and Tampa will be the landfall point.

Either way, Tampa should be expecting category 5 winds of around 140 miles sustained. Miami is now far enough away that the NE quadrant winds shouldn't be as much as a problem, same with storm surge (i'm not saying it will be skipped entirely).

[​IMG]

5. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    I'm about 30' above sea level, and far inland. I'm not worried about water, I'm worried about wind. Not much I can do about wind either, if I get the to order evacuate I will go to a shelter that is nearby. I'm not driving to my family in NC this late in the game. I could probably make it, even given the traffic but... I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  6. Lindsey

Lindsey Order Member

7. theronin

theronin Order Member

Well fuck... at this point, nothing to do but wait and see what happens. Hope it shrinks a bit before making landfall...

8. EsperJones

EsperJones Order Member

There's also this stream (a restream) of the southernmost point cam. There's still people hanging out on the coast all the time...

9. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So obviously the attention right now is focused on Irma, but if you look at the latest track predictions for Jose, it looks like it's not actually going to curve out into the North Atlantic, instead it's going to do a full 360 and keep heading West towards Cuba/the Gulf/Florida. So this ain't all, folks.

10. SmileOfTheKill

Well damn. My experiences with this hurricane was kind of lame.

The house I was staying in lost it's power at 2pm or so, and still doesn't have it's power.

The big thing however is that I went to check my house I live in... no damage, no flooding, no power outages, and it still even has the god damn internet working.

It's not like leaving the house was a bad idea since none of the street lights I passed have power and there is a ton of debris everywhere. Fences knocked over and the like. Not huge trees though, those are fine.

God dam it I spent 18 hours sweating my butt off and this is what I get? What about you @Wildfeather? If you are even more north than I am I would only expect good things for you.

11. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Order Member DLP Supporter

Oh no, I didn't get to experience more drama, ruined lives, and death. You lack perspective, or have never been in a real disaster. Your post reeks of a poisonous form of narcissism that only looks toward your own temporary inconvenience because the preparations were a waste of your time. I very nearly wish you had experienced a real disaster, if only for the lesson to be learned.

I went to High school in Naples, and my mother still lives there. My best friend is in Golden gate. I live in East Texas right now, was in New York for Sandy, and was in Japan for the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. People die, people lose everything they've worked their lives for. People lose homes, pets, friendships. The consequences of something like this can echo for decades, and you should be thankful that all it cost you was 18 hours of sweating your butt off.

Yeah, I'm triggered.

Edit: On the anniversary of 9/11 to boot.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  12. SmileOfTheKill

I apologize if I came off that way. I see how the post sounds and that is not how I wanted to come off. I drove by quite a bit of damage, along with the fact that I was checking up online to see more local unlucky people. Hell one of the people that were with us might in fact lose his house due to living on one of the many islands that are apart of Florida.

It's more of the exasperation with the amount of fear mongering that is going on with everything. While we got prepared and even well before that, I heard many times from family, friends, random people, and the news on how everything was going to end. We are going to lose everything and everyone will die.

For the people that have in fact lost real things, it's terrible. For the people that overhyped things for ratings, it's anger. I heard a lot from Shepard Smith yesterday, the same guy that made this gem.

13. Paladin

Paladin Second Year

High Score:
    It's not fear mongering. Parts of Houston were thirty feet under water. Katrina wiped entire Mississippi coastal towns off the face of the planet. You just won the fucking lottery, and you're mildly annoyed that the news media tried to save people's lives by telling them to evacuate in the face of a hurricane as strong as, if not stronger than, Katrina?

14. SmileOfTheKill

I did evacuate and I thought it was a good idea. Nearly everyone I know did the same. 70% of my town is without power and has some type of damage. I agree that I said the wrong thing in my first post and I apologize.

I am not going to apologize or agree for thinking the media was fear mongering to hell however. I was checking flood zones and helping people I work with do the same. I still heard how the entire state was going to be destroyed and everyone would die.

15. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The modeling has massively improved over the past few decades, with the computational power available to us and a better understanding of emergent weather. It's just that it's still fairly impossible to tell with sufficient accuracy how angular changes as the model gets improved, in real time, will drive the hurricane in time for a precise evacuation. We are years away from that kind of predictive accuracy, knowing for sure where and how strong it'll be to a t three days before it hits. Florida is a particularly tough location. From the timeframe of a reasonable evacuation it's basically a coin flip whether it drives up east or west of the peninsula.

16. EsperJones

EsperJones Order Member

Two reasons:
    1) People in fact are idiots[1] and require that type of hyperbole to evacuate. If you said "Hey, 1 in 10 chance each person loses their home tomorrow" most would stay and risk it - leading to a much worse situation.
    2) Panic sells.

[1] This is only for those that are ready and able to evacuate but choose not to. There were a lot of services out there for those unable to evacuate to get help for free though.

17. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    We were fine, rain and wind mainly but nothing scary. No power since about 2 am also, and the internet is out.

Yeah we lucked out by the hurricane getting so much weaker. I think there were elements of 'hyping the danger by news elements, but if you only followed the local government prognosis they were on point for me.

18. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Man, am I glad I boarded up my windows. I have tree limbs on my fucking roof. Apparently it was the pines I needed to be worried about, not the oak leaning over my house.

19. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Every news agency around rejoiced over back to back hurricanes because finally, they have a reason to run 24 hour coverage. They're not having to surf the internet for interesting stories to talk about.

20. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Forecasts change from hour to hour, and everyone lucked out that it veered over land and weakened instead of staying over water and raking the coast.

It most certainly wasn't hyperbole; just look at Barbuda and Antigua and Cuba and be thankful they took the brunt for you.