1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

I Need help on a plot

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ixazncha0six, May 15, 2006.

1. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

Hello I'm doing a Harry attends St. Brutus story and I need some help. I need some help integrating him to Hogwarts's at the 3rd year. Can someone help me find a logical reason why he should go to the 3rd year and not the first. Also I need to find a good reason why he never recieved his letters from Hogwarts's and why the Dursleys sent him to St Brutus instead of Stonewall high. Thank you in advance.

2. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I don’t think he can be sent there unless he does a crime. I mean it is for the criminal children. So why not use a public boarding school instead? Plus have him being able to control any random magical bursts (after having it beaten into him) so that he doesn't set of magic detectors. I don't mean he can do magic, just that he had some subconscious control over accidental bursts. So no one was able to find him until the middle of his second year, cause wizards aren't that good at tracking anyone the muggle way. The decision is made to tutor him a little over the summer and then add him to the 3rd year.

3. ixazncha0six

I'm sticking him in St. Brutus for story purposes. Do you think this is a good idea, Harry is one day kicked out of the Dursley's when he is 7 and he lives in the streets to survive and he starts doing anything to survive. One day he is caught selling weed and he is sent to St Brutus. Now in St. Brutus they have one teacher who constantly beat Harry and Harry learns to be strong and paranoid. He gains a subconsious control over magic, when he is beaten so many times. What do you think about that?

4. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Ugh @ any story with Abused!Harry.

5. ixazncha0six

Its going to be minor, not big at all. He is only abused when a child but around 10 or 11 everyone starts to be intimedated by him, kind of like how Tom Riddle was as a child.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

How to get him to St. Brutos?
    Simple, have him fight back against Dudley. Dursleys could put a spin on it, making it out like Harry is unbalanced and dangerous. With whole neighbourhood beleiving that as well, it wouldn't be too hard to send him there.

You could also make him beat/kill Dudley using accidental magic, which he'll then start to develop further...

As to why he hadn't received his letter...

Let's say, Dumbledore and/or Fudge find out that he's criminal. Theey interview residents of Private Drive and they all agree how horrible and mean Harry is. Dumbledore is affraid of creating another Tom Ridley and puts anti-owl charms on Harry, in hope of no one ever finding out about him. If it's Fudge, than he wants to keep the image of BWL the perfect hero, for the sake of the public.

As for education, you could have some member of Hogwarts staff send Harry introducionarry books and stuff, to help keep him keep track with studies... that should probably be McGonagall... or maybe Snape, as a cruel torturing technique (offer Harry a glimpse of the world denied to him... without a wand, so he could start practising wandlessly...).

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  7. CGB

CGB Auror

Good idea, but why should somebody from Hogwarts staff send him textbooks, if they're afraid of creating another T.R.? Maybe Harry learns, that he he can do magic and somehow (At holidays) finds sth. out about the Wizarding World (Maybe he finds the letter that was attached to him when he arrived). Then he escapes from Privet Drive and comes somehow to the Leaky Cauldron. From there on he could be found and send to Hogwarts.

8. ixazncha0six

What about AD sends him to St. Brutus which is renowned as the worlds most brutal and best juvenile center until his 3rd year in the hopes that Harry will be rehabilitated?

9. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I don't really have anything to add but this could be really good, all it needs is a good author that has a good beta. Listen to these guys and it'll be great.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Someone has to, if Harry is to rejoin Hogwarts in his 3rd year. However smart you make him out to be, there's just too much magical theory (history, astronomy, potions etc...) for him to catch up in few weeks. It can be anyone really - future girlfriend, McGonagall, Snape, Remus etc... but I think it's neccesary, for the realism's sake.

The bunny is that Harry attends St Brutos. And if it's the school for young hooligans, you're not exactly allowed to wander around.

As for wandless magic, that's why I suggested for Snape to send Harry the books, without a wand or instructions on how to reach wizarding districts. His intention is purely to torture Harry by showing him what he's missing out, but Harry starts working the spells without a wand and learning the books by heart... etc, you get the drift.

I don't see why would Dumbledore do that. This actually reminds me on one of those ridiculous stories where the whole plot is based on some crazy illogical plan that Dumbledore arranges - switch houses, learn dancing, travel to America etc...

11. ixazncha0six

Is their anyone who would like to BETA my story?

12. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

You should have a pyro Harry that goes to St. Brutus. He killed Dudley a while back, and is slightly sadistic...

13. ixazncha0six

Nah, thanks for the suggestion but I'm not interested in making a pyro Harry.

14. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

I liked this idea... but what if there was a law in the wizarding world to keep criminals convicted in the muggle world from going to school and Dumbledore had to repeal it in order to get Harry to Hogwarts... or it could be the other way around, Dumbledore passed the law so that Harry wouldn't be able to attend school.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Err... no. We're talking here about 11 year old kids, not adults. Could you really see a law passed that would forbid pre-teens from having education? And what crime could possibly an 11 year old commit? Nah, Harry being kept out of Hogwarts would have to be either some mixup or deliberate...

16. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

Hey, this is the wizarding world we're talking about. If some magical person was prosecuted by Muggles they would most likely be a mudblood, am I correct so far? Wizards have laws and customs that favor purebloods as well. Put the two together and you get less mudblood going to magical schools, sounds like something that Lucius Malfoy would want passed to me.

17. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Just a thought. With the Abused!Harry thing going I don't think he will be overt and brave. I think he will be more reserved and kind of in the shadows person. So instead of putting him in Slytherin or Griffindor because of the hat thinking its good for him, have him request/bribe/threaten the hat to put him in Hufflepuff as they are usually ignore.

18. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Just thinkin' bout the 'harry don't go to hogwarts'. If you remember, when the hogwarts letters come, it says 'we await your acceptance owl no later than...' blah blah blah. You could make it that Vernon writes a letter to hogwarts saying harry refuses to go...

...but then you'd have to explain why no one in the whole of the wizarding world would care that the famous BwL is in hiding. I dunno, maybe you could expand on the idea. As far as i know, nothing like that has been done before.

Just a suggestion...

19. 3rdeye

3rdeye Looked into the void

There is a fic similar to your idea, called The Orphan: Book I, where Harry harms Dudley by sending him off the monkey bars when he's hiding, by using magic. Then they take him to some Orphanage (I think it's actually called St.Brutus's, becuase the Dursleys warned him about the place) where he meets fem!Blaise. They become pranksters and the such. Maybe you could twist the idea a bit?

20. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I'd say IP's idea comes across best, with BMM's added in.

Harry could be defiant...the beatings at home dont start until he starts getitng into fights at school. Then, he fights back at Dudley and manages to break his rib or something, but a cop car is passing by, and he gets put in St. Brutus'.

At this time, the school kids and the parents already talk about what a hooligan he is, and the Dursleys are only too happy to agree. He goes to the school, already having some control over his magic. He is able to use magic to make himself more intimidating, and since the Dursleys don't give him lunch money, he intimidates kids into giving him theirs so that he can eat. This makes him healthy enough also.

Basically, i'm thinking you're looking for a Harry that is ACTUALLY a bully, not a goody-two-shoes. He can grow into something of a badass, while not actually being a bully later in life.

Okay: Dumbledore sends the letter to Privet drive, and Petunia responds by saying that Harry's in a correctional facility. When he goes to check up on him, he takls to the Dursleys and other families on P.Drive, and they all corroborate the Dursleys' story. He gets troubled, and meets the Minister.

They take a look at St.Brutus' and decided that if he's actually a troublemaker, then he should stay there. Why tarnish the image of the boy-who-lived? In any case, there are very few people, it seems, who seem to know that Harry should be at Hogwarts in 1991...when his name is called, the hall burst into whispers of disbelief.

People have, in their complacency, blown up Harry's image ridiculously, with the kids beleiving that he's a fearless fighter, thus unlikely to go to Hogwarts, and most adults not really caring, just believing that Harry Potter is the new solutuion to their problems. Fudge has control in the Prophet, so there won't be any articles pointing out the fact that HP is missing from Hogwarts.

Snape can find out through Dumledore, and takes an opportunity to belittle the boy. He sends the boy some spellbooks that he has, with moving pictures and stuff, harshly trying to pont out that he will never enjoy the magic that he's supposed to enjoy.

Now, Harry finds the books, and through Snape's letter, realizes what they've done to him. He, being a budding badass, decides to show them true power (if dark!Harry is what you're going for). He uses a regular stick of wood as a wand (rofl...use the drumstick idea from IP's story) and begins learnign curses. Maybe in thebeginning he struggles, but eventually manages to train his magic so hard out of frustration that it no longer needs a conduit liek a wand anymore. He becomes TEH UBER BADASS.

Dumbledore'splan, all along, was to bring HP back into the wizarding world at some point. (either 3rd year or 4th year...i'd say 4thor maybe even 5th, because at 14, he can start being a badass ladies man with the women). He does, and Harry's prepared...he no longer needs incantations or wand movements or even a wand, and he can cast ridiculous spells just by thinking of what he wants the end result to be. Finding Snape, he begins to make the greaseball's life a living hell.

Dunno what Dumbledore's excuse would be for Harry's disappearance...maybe he could, seeing as Harry can cast complex magics wandlessly, pretend as if he'd trained Harry in secret. What i would really love to read is a Light!NotManipulative!Dumbledore in this fic. He honestly thought, and felt bad, that sending Harry to the Muggles had turned him into a criminal, a deviant. He can help Harry and nurture his magical growth...perhaps be so apologetic that he offers a magical oath of some sort.

Yeah...not Manipulative!Dumbledore would be really cool. Finding decent ones like that with original plotlines is hard.

Wow...this turned out REALLY detailed...hope i helped.