1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Identity by Brackets - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Title: Identity
    Author: Brackets
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Friendship
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 14,588
    Updated: April 6, 2009
    Published: March 27, 2009

Summary: A child's mind in isolation turns only to itself, but Harry discovers there another person. He enters the mind of the man who had made the world quail, and out of this rises a prodigy unlike no other. Dark!Harry No Pairings! Voldemort/Harry friendship
    Link: Identity

Despite the fact that the author is a 14 year old girl who favors slash, it is surprisingly well written, without any obvious mistakes or any stereotypes you would expect from such an author. I especially enjoyed the magical theory of possession part, wich was excellently done, and without any gaping plot holes (the most incredible fact, considering who the author is once again). Harry/Voldemort interaction was amusing and engaging. I'm waiting for more.

Checked by Minion, June 20, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  2. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I am so very skeptical right now, if you hadn't mentioned the 14 year old girl and the slash thing, I think I'd be a lot more interested.

Going to edit after reading.

[Edit] Not usually a fan of abuse fics but that intro was downright creepy. The utter callousness in the Dursley's behaviour, I don't think I've ever seen it done so well before.

He'd been yelled at, and the blow to his head had knocked him over. He was dizzy for a while, not quite as quick with his chores as he should have been. Later in the day his uncle had slapped him for his incompetence, and he'd been locked up again for the night.
    I think it's how utterly casual the author makes it seem, extraordinary portrayal.

The animal mind/Voldemort thing is also very well done.

Harry sunk deeper into the earliest memories of Tom Marvolo Riddle. Slowly, he started to learn life as Riddle had, from the bottom upwards. Maybe he could make his family cower like that? No... it was all make-believe. The squirrel didn't even exist. He'd never be the one in power, would he?
    I'm sold! This fic is creeping me out whilst still being awesome.

Alright this fic is so fucking cool. Harry's power is fucking terrifying and brilliantly original. This is a wonderful take on mental magics. The creepiness continues, the Harry/Voldemort interaction is odd but strangely realistic the only complaint I have is that 5 year old Harry is far too intelligent but the fic is extraordinary enough that I can ignore it.

5/5 this fic is something very different from anything else I've read.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The only thing Palver didn't mention was the Dursley abuse. These slash writers in general are sadistic fucks. What kind of sick fascination centers on having a young child beaten up repeatedly and hurled into the cupboard?

And while there's nothing with Voldemort being embodied by a squirrel, but there's something decidedly un-epic about it.

My first impressions is that this is something that will be read reluctantly if read at all.

4. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I agree with what has been said regarding the possession aspects of this fic. It presents a delightful confusion of identity that takes a while to untangle, but is worth it.

There is the idea of Harry being a Horcux and how that relates to the link that brings a thought to mind. If a piece of Voldemort is anchored to Harry, whenever Voldemort attacks Harry by way of the bond of mentally, he might feel pain due to the fact he is attacking a part of himself?

All that aside, great fic, however short.

5. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think that this is the only time I've ever enjoyed reading Dursley abuse. It is easy to see why he would become dark here, especially with the amount of time he spent delving into Voldemort's mind. Reaching out to Petunia and being soundly rejected is the last straw so to speak. If this author is truly a fourteen year old girl, then she's got potential to quite good in a few years.

I'd say it's a 4/5, and easily library material.

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

So far, this is an excellent story. Very interesting, though I'm not sure I buy how nice Voldemort's been to Harry.

4/5

7. 007_rock

007_rock DA Member

Wow, I didn't know that 14 year olds could write this well. Didn't spot a single spelling or grammar mistake till now. Fantastic story. As has been mentioned above, the intricacies of possession and mind magics are explained which is amazingly detailed and believable.

My only trouble is that the author prefers slash. But one can only hope that this doesn't become a slash fic. So far there is no sign of any it, she has given the pairing as none and last chapter limits that possibility somewhat, so I guess it won't become one.

5/5 even though there is only 3 small chapters so far.

8. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

I refuse to believe a slash loving 14 year old girl could produce such a disturbingly masterful piece of work.
    Regardless. This fic is definitely library worthy.

9. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Twisted, dark, and pretty damn near flawless. If this isn't library worthy I don't know what is; 5/5.

I reserve the right to cunt-punt the author if this turns out to be HP/LV though.

10. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

5/5
    Really like this so far, and the update rate isnt also very bad.
    Hopefully, Dumbeldore`s character wont be butchered.
    I am guessing if Harry does go to hogwarts, Tom will probably possess some other classmate, or maybe even the DADA professor.
    For a 3 chapter fic, it shows a lot of promise.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not fair. Three chapters is just a teaser. I need more :(.

12. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

The author's age and nature (14 year old fangirl/slasher) put me off, but the fic is damn near excellent. 5/5.

Though I do hope this won't become slash. *fingers crossed*

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting. Voldemort isn't anywhere near evil enough though.

Unless he has some sort of plan to use him to get a new body, by all rights he should kill Harry.

14. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Well, I like it. A lot. A huge lot. Best thing since sliced bread. Well, I probably shouldn't go that far, but to hell with it. Left a review, the author replied that it won't be slash, just a Harry Voldemort FRIENDSHIP story, so that's probably okay :)

15. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Not really.
    Loosing your body probably can change the way your mind thinks.
    Besides as far as he is concerned the prophesy is already fulfilled.
    He has already been vanquished. Now no reason to say no to a powerful kid who can help him get his body back, considering none of his followers bothered to find him. Besides, I really think that the fact, they can view each others minds, really ought to start ringing some bells in his head, that it might have something to do with the horcrux he intended to make that night. I guess once again that is pretty open to interpretation, but since cannon Harry has one in his head, chances are that this Harry also does.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Voldemort should kill him after he gets his body back.

17. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Yup it fucking pisses you off.

Wait, what? I don't remember anything to that effect being said or even implied.

[Edit] Orly? *goes and reads again*, yup thar it is. If that's not a lie to get into Harry's panties because Voldemort is a child molestor then Voldie is playing far too nice.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  18. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Actually, I think Voldemort said something of the like to Harry, when he wanted the Dursley's address, if I remember correctly.

Of course it is open to interpretation whether he meant it or was just trying to get Harry to trust him enough to give him the address.

19. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

...It's okay. I mean, the story was certainly written well enough but the dialogue in certain parts were terrible.

The diction and casual flair with which 5 year old Harry (even if he had 12 1/2 years of Tom inside him) discusses invading someone's mind and snuffing out their soul is a bit over the top. He's 5.

3/5

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The more I think about it, the less I like this fic. I mean, it's a friendship story between Harry and Voldemort, supposedly.

That rather misses the point of Voldemort. Voldemort does not have friends.

He should not be sharing his deepest secrets (horcruxes) with Harry so willingly. Hell, he shouldn't even be alluding to them.

I think these are the signs of the 14 year old slash fangirl.

2/5 for good writing ability. The concept is fail though.