1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

If I had a trillion dollars... I'd buy [insert personal fantasy here].

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Inquisition, Aug 30, 2009.

1. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Looks like someone's having a case of the Mondays.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You must be kidding. I doubt 10 trillion would get it done.

For a start we don't have the required technological level. Carbon nanotubes are strong enough, but they haven't figured out a way to make them longer than ranges in the microns yet.

Also up there in the big problems is how to get the huge fuck-off counterweight into space.

3. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Use the elevator.

Duh.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Lol. Almost as :awesome as Silens.

On topic: www.Wally.com --> Click on 'Power' --> Click on WallyPower 118

Now, picture an armada of those, all blasting this.

6. malaga

malaga Auror

Giant moneybin would be the first purchase. And I would use it to practise dolphin diving, like Scrooge.

As for the rest of what everyone else wants to buy - the mansion, the cars, the yachts, the high class prostitutes - I'll pass. I don't like stuff. I like money.

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Grab a astroid from the belt, slap a ion drive on it and shift it into orbit. Do-able but logistically hard.

And 1 trillion should be more than enough to get the technology of nano-tube ribbons and climbers up to the needed level, from there it is just a case of fielding it. You might need some investors to help field it but to say you need 10 trillion... you need to look up how much money gets spent on engineering projects around the world. 1 Trillion dollars is mind boggingly huge.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And so is constructing a space elevator.

Even after you've got all the technology in place, you still have to construct the thing. Which likely not only includes construction work taking place miles in the air, but also deep underwater.

To build something like this would take generations. Not if all the governments on the planet gathered together and decided that building a space elevator was humanity's most pressing need could the thing be finished before 2060, and it would take a lot more than a trillion dollars to get done.

Maybe in your fantasy sci-fi utopia.

9. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

First, I'd buy a time machine. Then I'd do my traveling backwards and buy shares in Coca Cola, Disney, Ford, Rio Tinto, Microsoft etc and become a prince of Saudi Arabia. Fuck yeah.

10. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

I read in an article that it costs 780 million dollars to build a life sized, working model of a Gundam robot.

I'll have a few made and have fun with it, and I'll use the rest of the money to accelerate and improve the technology in robotics. Once everything's working fine, I'll sell these new machines of war to various warring factions and watch my fantasy of real live gundam wars come true.

11. EvilSkittles

EvilSkittles DA Member

I would spend it traveling the world and buying geeky toys to play with.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've just had the best idea ever. I'd buy a small, island country, build a massive fortress on it with a metric fuck ton of cameras in it and set an elite bunch of guards there to watch over it (without access to the cameras). I'd then place £1billion in the most secure area and then send out a message to everyone in the world that anyone who manages to get the money off the island without being killed will be welcome to keep it.

Either that or set up my very own massive battle royale with hundreds of competitors and the winner gets £1billion from me. Blood everywhere. It would be epic.

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I'd build another Winchester House-style place, only huge. And never explain why.

14. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

But then start huge amounts of ridiculous rumors about it so it becomes a place of curiosity and speculation for years to come.

15. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

That sounds awesome.

Makes me want to buy some Evangelions and chill with my homeboys Lutris and Jon is a Whorez while listening to Beautiful World.

16. Benjin

Benjin First Year

It would be. Make it Live and charge people to watch it. You'd get a shit load of subscribers, guaranteed. With humans loving violence and all.

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I haven't read this thread in a bit...

Way to be a buzzkillington faggot.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

What's the point of having a space elevator? If the goal is to get into space, it'd be cheaper to finance private space planes.

On topic: the money to finance this would be awesome, if only to get the shit I order online that much faster.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not in the long run, which is the entire point. Once the initial construction is finished the cost of sending things into space would be a fraction of the current cost because you're alternately using centrifugal force to send the elevator up and gravity to help it back down, instead of expending thousands of tons worth of fuel and fighting against gravity to reach escape velocity.

It also sets the scene for much easier colonisation of space, since the most popular method of adding a counter weight is just adding a fuck ton of extra cable to the end of it, thus allowing space craft to simply be launched along that using the natural rotation of the planet as its accelerant.

20. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I can barely think of what I would do with one billion dollars, let alone one trillion.

Well, first I would set aside $100 million in a bank. Live off the interest.

The rest would either be set to do something epic(like the previously mentioned Pyramids, or Great Wall), or put all of it into technology research. Every aspect of it.