1. The DLP Story Competition is back!!!!11one! Get the details in the announcement and break out your favorite editor, because it's time to enter the December 2017 competition.

Don't let us down, Guest.
    Dismiss Notice

If you were to write a Fem!Harry?

Discussion in 'FanFic Discussion' started by xyzzy, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    I would think Petunia would actually dislike fem!Harry even more. Harry at least only has the eyes that remind her of her sister; a female would obviously look a lot more like Lily, possibly to the same extent that James and Harry shared looks in canon. Petunia would probably be just as strict, although I can't really see Dudley smacking her with his Smelting's stick or Vernon punishing her quite as harshly -- it would be a lot more quiet on Privet Drive in general.

It would, however, make for an interesting twist to see Petunia raise her more like her daughter, perhaps spoiling her in the same way she did Dudley. "For your birthday, you get one more present each year!" You could even take the dramatic angle and have her hide the truth about Lily and James' death up until the point that someone comes to get her for Hogwarts, causing a falling out between Petunia and fem!Harry (who has been corrupted into a mini!Petunia with the pursed lips to boot). I could see that sort of character's personality falling somewhere between Hermione and Parvati -- the desire to improve ones self coupled with the material girl aspect -- with real world events slowly shaping her into a heroine with time.

So a spoiled, angry, fem!Harry does not like the look of the unkempt and loud Weasley's and thus ends up on the train alone until Neville comes back to ask her about a missing toad (to which she is sickened by the thought that the boy carries a toad around with him), Malfoy comes to find the Girl Who Lived (and while he looks well-to-do, he's so boorish she easily ignores him) and Hermione informs her that it is time to get changed (to which she informs her she will change when she's ready, and only then).

There's some merit in this... probably as a lulzy one shot, but still.

2. Dano1o

Dano1o Squib

Ahhhhh. I honestly thought with a name like Harry James Potter it would be obviously about a male. Then again maybe I am just thick. Surely this shit needs taking down and burning.

3. Plotless

Plotless Groundskeeper

God forbid we speculate about anything without your permission.

4. Dano1o

Dano1o Squib

Speculate away.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Professor Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lily clone fem!Harry is another fanon cliché though. No reason why she would be. Hell it would be funny if for once she just ended up kind of ordinary, brown hair and eyes instead of a raven-haired, emerald-eyed beauty or a flame-haired, amber-eyed vixen.

You could say looking more like Lily would be a boon. We know Petunia has complicated feelings towards her sister. Her hostility to Harry could just as easily stem from his similarly to James. The guy who took her away and ultimately got her killed.

If the aim of changing the gender is to explore the HP story from another angle instead of simply pairing her off with Malfoy or something then having it have some effect on her upbringing makes sense. Hell I can't imagine Petunia putting up with 'Harry hunting' for one thing. What would the neighbors say... A little orphan girl garners more sympathy and notice than a boy. Dressing her in cast offs and sending her to toil in the garden for hours would invite comments.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'd like something a little bit different. Following in footsteps of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Sabrina the Teenage Witch, have Hogwarts begin at age 16-17 instead of 11. And this age thing isn't a recent change either, this is an AU where it has always been that way.

So our Fem!Harry lives with Dursleys until her 16th birthday. She doesn't live in a cupboard under the stairs (even though that fits the fairytale mold of evil stepparents), but she's not anyone's favorite either. Over the years she managed to discover her magical abilities on her own and experimented with them, developing some handy skills like opening locks, knowing when people lie, and of course talking to snakes.

That last bit is the most important because anyone who grows up being able to talk to snakes is going to develop some sort of fondness for them. So when she gets older, she convinces Vernon/Petunia to let her have a pet snake in her room. "Fine, as long as it stays in that room!"

Having a magical advantage over Dudley would let her make him back off and leave her alone. Perhaps she uses magic to hurt him, perhaps his things get destroyed, perhaps she finds out and embarrassing secret of his, doesn't matter. What matters is that she's free from him.

Eventually her 16th birthday comes and she's visited by someone from Hogwarts. I don't think Hagrid would work here, but I don't want to use McGonagall either since that became a cliche already. So perhaps Dumbledore himself arrives to see the Girl Who Lived with his own eyes.

But what he sees is troubling. He sees a young woman who already developed several magical abilities, uses them to get her way, talks to snakes and has no idea about Hogwarts or anything related to her parents.

Obviously he's going to worry about having the second coming of Voldemort, so he's going to put extra effort and attention this time to make sure this doesn't happen.

Basically: young adult, semi-dark, fem!Harry mentored by Dumbledore fic.