1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Infinity War Spoilers Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes? Strange is doing his Path to Victory thing. Getting the Gauntlet would, presumably, not have led to victory.

Sey
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Which plenty of people tried to do, iirc. Tony clearly explained that all they needed was a few more second and Thanos' goal would be lost. Quill wasn't even listening at that point. They'd have to physically restrain him, which would pull people away from, y'know restraining and divesting Thanos of the gauntlet.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It wouldn't have to be physical. Given Strange knew it was coming, he had a wealth of options he could have taken to prevent Quill's interference.

4. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Whew! Nobody actually died in Infinity War, they just got transformed into cats.

[​IMG]

And with that, my reactions to ze movie:

Shuri: needs to die in a fire. Hopefully she got dissolved and won't make it back for IW2

Banner: for some reason felt totally 3rd-wheel for the entire movie.

Thor: Sqeee! That says a lot since I'm not a big Thor fan.

Red Skull: I actually sucked in a breath when he popped up. Totally not expecting that. Glad I didn't get spoiled.

Rocket: You might want to wash that.

Bucky: Part your damn hair down the middle; it looks like a rat's nest... or use some Th'Oreal, because you're worth it.

Peter (S-M): If Tony doesn't play a huge mentoring/Dad part in S-M:H2 Imma be disappoint. Loved their chemistry.

Groot: Millennial!Groot. Fucking LOL.

5. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Strange only saw 14 million possible futures. As there are an infinite number of timelines and universes, he didn't even scratch the surface of possible futures.

Out of the 14 million he saw, there was one where they succeeded. Out of another 50 million, they might have been a few more.

There is no possible way Thanos could have won if they'd managed to get the Gauntlet off of him. With the Gauntlet and four Infinity Stones, just Stark. Strange, Parker, Drax, Quill and Mantis managed to hold him off. Without the gauntlet, they would have crushed him.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, except.. I never got the feeling that Thanos was ever going hard at the Avengers. He was just taking things at his own pace.

I got the feeling that if he was serious he'd have just murdered them all, since he, you know, beat the Hulk so hard that he went to his room like a child throwing a tantrum and didn't come out for the rest of the movie.

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ahh, good old Rule 34.

Ahem.

Went and saw it again last night with the Fam. I think my only real disappointment was not hearing Immigrant Song fire up when Thor beamed into Wakanda. Would have been a bit too light for the moment, but still.

I really hope, from now on, they won't be afraid to actually let some of the heavier-hitters flex their shit in movies. The Dr. Strange fight sequence was so fucking great, even knowing that Thanos is really just playing with everyone, because you finally get the feeling that., for once, a movie writer understands just how incredibly powerful these heroes are. Thor flying in and just wiping the floor with the remainder of the invading force on Wakanda virtually by himself, and coming within an inch (or a foot, really) of killing Thanos... it's really what I have been waiting for as an old comic nerd. Sure, origin stories are great if done well. Heroes overcoming things that are holding them back are great lessons for the kids watching the movies.

Nah, fuck all that. Give me the god of thunder, in FUCKING GOD MODE. The sorcerer supreme holding off a titan possessing four infinity stones for a few minutes. The strongest-willed man in the history of the species proving that maybe he actually could do this all day. It makes me wonder how bad Captain Marvel is going to fuck everyone up when we see her - Feige has already said she's on another power level above the rest of the Avengers, but that was before IW, so who knows.

There are things that I could nitpick on, sure. But to do so would be to just add noise to the people that are just going to find things to dislike so they can be hipstery about it. Easy 9/10 for me, even on re-watch, but I'm easily entertained. :D

8. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know in the comics that he always lowballed his skills. At the very least, his durability can be called into question as Iron Man managed to make him bleed with a metal that wasn't vibranium, adamantium or even Uru.

I sincerely hope Feige was exaggerating. It undermines every other character who has had multiple moves to grow if she just comes in and just defeats Thanos by herself like Superman did in Justice League.

At the very least, she shouldn't be stronger than Thor who seems to be in a league of his own now and rightly deserves the top spot. I imagine her as the space/scientific counterpart to Doctor Strange, power wise.

9. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The gauntlet is made from the same metal of Thor's hammer + Axe, Odin's staff etc. It's reasonable to assume it can be called back to the owner in the same manner.

He saw one future where they won, we don't know how far into the future he looked, it may have just been that fight. Or perhaps he was looking into the end game, saw that they had to lose the fight, he had to give up the stone etc for the events to unfold in the correct way to archive the one future he saw victory.

Before looking into the future Strange said to Stark that if he had to choose between saving Stark, Parker or the Stone, he would choose the stone. After seeing the future, and after loosing the fight, when questioned by Stark, he say's that it is the only way.

10. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    I hate how they relegated Banner to a comic relief character, and Gamora's death scene could have been written better. Also Shuri pisses me off something fierce.

Aside from that, I stand by my earlier assessment. Solid film, very enjoyable watch. Will say, however, Thor-on-the-Neutron-Star did kinda disintegrate my suspension of disbelief like it was a teenager spider-boy in the arms of its mentor figure.

11. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I think the Hulk is pissed at loosing a fight, he was slapped around by Thanos easily, can't be good for his ego.

12. Haze

Haze Second Year

I truly hope Thanos doesn't get killed. Easily my favorite character now after Strange. Best moments were with those two and Gamora.

As far as Marvel movies go, this is easily a 10/10 for me. I just wish they didn't spend so much time shitting on Banner, really awkward to watch.

Not really sure why so many of you are so harsh on Star Lord though. He even says it himself that he leads by emotion (Unless I am misremembering what he said). Regardless, if Strange didn't stop him, then Thanos had to be freed for the road to victory become possible.

I hope they make a Thanos movie as well ( More than IW was).

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Wasn't Strange super busy holding one of his arms down by himself?

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Question for the comic people. I thought that Thanos beat the shit out of Hulk only because he had the power stone at the time. I mean sure, he's as big as the Hulk and just as buff, but clearly he was only able to solo 3 Avengers and the Guardians because he had 4 stones at the time. Does vanilla Thanos have superpowers beyond Hulk-ish strength?

15. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I mean that's the problem with future-sight and path to victory: If it wasn't necessary to the one winning outcome there were plenty of ways to prevent him from doing so before it actually becomes an issue.

16. Heather_Sinclair

What I saw was Hulk doing typical Hulk things "Hulk Smash" fighting, not "Hulk fight an equally large, muscular, opponent that is actually using his brain instead of only brute strength." and the Power stone too.

I don't think Thanos used the stone's power in that fight. But there might be a power-up just for wearing it. Then again it was pretty quick; I might have missed it.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wonder because he was clearly using the power stone when threatening to crack Thor's head.

18. Heather_Sinclair

Exactly. Purplish glow... cracking head. I didn't remember any of that when he was busting moves on Hulk.

19. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Just saw it. I was not expecting this.

20. Heather_Sinclair

I've been wondering what people, who don't know much about the comic "Infinity Gem" story line, thought when big names started dying left and right. Loki being first, not so much Heimdall, but someone that's spanned entire movies as a fairly prominent character.

I mean is it, "Well, he's faked his death before... but that looked pretty permanent. It's Loki, he's probably not really dead."
    Then later, "Holy fuck! Game of Thrones MCU style!"
    Then by the end, "Well, there went the last ten years up in smoke... FML."