1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Innocence is fleething, Death stays true forever by SSC - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Jan 27, 2006.

1. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I happen to like this fic. I wonder if Voldemort is going to actually have the Necromantic powers like was hinted at. Ah, just got to wait for the next update to findout.
    The Hairpins didn't bug me much. They Were original though. If they have some sort of hidden power I hope the Author doesn't overdo it.
    Moody's reaction seems in Character for him from what I interpret from Cannon. Good work on that.
    Being immune to the killing curse threw me off a bit, it is a cliche in most overpowered HarryPotter fics out there.

2. DGD

DGD Headmaster

The fic is okay, but I can hardly get over those freaking hair clips. They're pissing me off.

3. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Same here. They are way too girlish IMO. I think that a staff with a demon's skull might have been better, no matter how cliche it might be. Even a helmet made out of a skull would have been better.

4. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Nah... leaving them out altogether would have been better if they serve no purpose other than idenification. And if that'd the case, I hope she goes into some heavily 'I EARNED these pins' shitfit about them at some point or another. Personally I expect we'll discover they have some secret purpose though...maybe he needs them to keep his powers in check? Otherwise I agree she could have chosen just about anything else, but not a helment please! That's be even more spacey and I keep imagining the James and Sirius from 'Nonjon's You did What?!?

Maybe she could have used something less cliched like a ring...doh! Wait.. what about something less girly than hairpins like a necklace..oh wait a minute...

--bornagainpenguin (who'd personally would have gone for the spear of Longinus or some other such relic that could possibly be associated with raising the dead, ect...)

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't know what you guys have against scull-shaped hair-pins. I rather liked that detail - it's deffinitely better than standard different hair style or ring or something as plain as that.

I think you just have a problem of visualizing them in a cool, non-girly way.

Honestly, the first time I've heard about scull-shaped hair pins, I immedietely thought of "the Nameless One", the main character from "Planescape Torment" (and I have the feeling the author was thinking of him too, when she fashioned Harry's character).

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this wallpapers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download the wallpapers from here!

EDIT - Edited links, you have to access pictures from theirs site...

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

The hairpins bother people that much?

I've no idea what you're all picturing, but in my head, they're nothing more than tiny needles about as thick as a hair with skulls at the head of the needle which are smaller than the eraser on a pencil. And I consider them like stripes on a military uniform. Merely a sign of distinction that you don't notice unless you look closely behind his ears. I don't see the pins necessarily affecting the way his hair hangs.

Maybe the author is intending those great big honking knitting needles that will hold up a woman's hair, but it's words on page. Picture it the way you want to.

But when I hear "pins" and necromancy I start thinking pinhead, and pinhead looks damn cool.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Pinhead! :D

8. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Not while actually reading the story, no. However when you've read as many fics as I have that inevitably feminize the male characters after a while you start to get overly sensitized to it. I'd like to think I have a higher tolerance for these things what with having come from the anime (Ranma) fanfiction side of things but eh.. Ranma at least usually had an excuse (curse turns him into a woman) which is more than most femme!Harry do. I swear I'm reading one of those right now which has a rather good story and some nice plotlines but if I read one more time about Harry's long eyelashes.. :puke:

Now THAT is a much better image to have in mind! Almost made me wish I were more of a fan of the horror genre when I read Ruskbyte's take on pinhead. I hope this is where she was going with the pins; it'd support nicely my earlier supposition that there will eventually be a scene where Harry rips a new one for some lackwit (Snape) who accuses him of not earning his pins...

--bornagainpenguin

9. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I didn't think of him, dang(wanting to use other word but doesn't) I should have, that would have made the imagery in my head much better, Thanks nonjon.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    the pins don't bother me, infact I think they are a rather novel idea

11. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

you know this story is good. but there is another good necromancy story. it's called hammer falls. sadly the author stopped writing. extreamly good but a bit then your normal necromancer story or just necromaner.

12. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

Great story... I also appear to be the only one that likes the pins. I think of them as the symbol of a Necromancer, something only true Necromancers are allowed to wear after they finished their training or something like that.

While I would like longer chapters so is that among the few things I would change...

13. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The pins were actually what did it for me, I thought they were a neat addition. (Pinhead! Yeah!) The story overall is pretty damn good considering the author is only 15/16. Chapters may be a bit short, but that can be written off as the author's still improving on her writing skills.

14. TheJackOFDiamonds

TheJackOFDiamonds Third Year

Yeah, the short chapters bug me, but I'm still enjoying the story. It seems to be original (so far, at least), but it's still early.

I think the idea behind the hair clips is great. Namely, the idea that necromancers have something that they wear prominently to display their status. However, I'm just not sure that hair clips are entirely effective. If I'm facing off against a necromancer, how am I supposed to see the damn clips unless we're right next to each other? I think it should be something more obvious (and fear inspiring), like a tatoo around his eye or a metal skull embedded in his neck. I think that would say "don't fuck with me" a lot more effectively than hair clips.

Still, with the amount of times the author has mentioned them, I think the clips are going to end up doing something important later, so maybe they're necessary.

-the Jack

15. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

Im gonna wait a bit to see if the author doesnt screw the plot up before giving my opinion...

16. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I disagree with the metal-skull-in-neck or the tattoo thing. I think that the clips are just perfect. Especially for high society where things really arn't that obvious. What the clips require is that the Necromancer has a bit of cunning and doesn't go around challanging people. it's sort of like a passive-aggressive response. If it was something like a giant tattoo it would seem like Harry is just trying to win a pissing contest and isn't actually that much of a threat. Arrogance in a fight will get you killed. The Pins denote that Harry isn't someone you should mess with but they do it in a much more subtle way.

17. zblueblur0

zblueblur0 Raptured to Hell

well i liked the story so far. It seems to be good,but i cant really tell i have not writen a fanfiction.Im still learning slang terms and proper english as Lord Ravenclaw tells me everytime i post on DLP. He tells me in a post "plz learn english before you post on DPL." So not being an author who has gottn the feedback of DLP i cant say if its good or not

18. sandra37914

sandra37914 Squib

I thought this fic was funny. despite dumbledore and everyone else, harry managed to keep his sense of humor

19. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

I've gotta admit, I'm with the pro-pin side of the discussion (and they're not hair clips, those *would* look girly, skulls or no). The impression I got from the fic was that necromancy was a lot less under a wizard's direct control than normal magic; basically that if you pissed off a necromancer enough they might accidentally lose control and then you'd, y'know, die. The pins warn people of this so that they either don't antagonise the bearer too much or else have a death wish. Of course, they're rather less useful in the modern times when it looks like the majority of the populace don't know this, but oh well, their loss.

20. adrianxmaturu

adrianxmaturu Muggle

wonderful fic. cant wait for the next chapter