1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Investment Thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Lyndon Eye, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last time I checked (which was some years ago, admittedly), Vanguard has a minimum investment for taxable or retirement accounts of $3000. Fidelity's minimum was comparable. This may be a higher minimum than many are willing to work with.

2. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

If you're planning to go over $15k eventually, I'd just start out with Betterment. The fees aren't really an issue and you should earn more in market changes and dividends than you'll pay out in fees anyway.

If you start with Wealthfront and then decide to move to Betterment later you could potentially be selling and transferring at a market high, wouldn't be the end of the world but it's certainly annoying.

On which is easier to use, I've never used Wealthfront so I'm not sure how easy theirs is to use. Betterment is really simple though.

With Betterment you create certain "goals" like retirement, buying a house or large purchase, or general building wealth and it will give you advice on what sort of stock/bond allocation you want as well as what your growth-over-time will be with average market performance based on past data.

There's also a Safety Net goal which some people use to replace their standards bank savings account, it's low risk with about 60% stocks, 40% bonds

This link from peyo is a good article on why some choose to do this.

For goals that have an end date, like wanting to purchase a house within the next 10 years, or wanting to retire at age 60, Betterment will give you advice on how much you need to put in weekly/monthly/yearly to reach your goal by the end date.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer, and if you'd like 6 months free on top of the 30 days everybody gets for signing up you can use my referral link for it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  3. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

4. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

So the past week or so I've gotten back on the hardcore investing, saving, etc hype. Since moving to the US two years ago, I hadn't really considered the use of 401k's, IRAs, and all that jazz, given that I likely wouldn't settle down here long term. But after getting onto

JLCollinsNH's Stock Series, and consequently into Mad Fientist, I got really excited about it all, given that I enjoy nerding out about finances. I've been long into Mr Money Mustache, and the idea of early retirement. Never thought to save a hell of a lot more by affecting my taxes and reducing it down so much.

So I opened up a 401k at work, and with 4 months left decided I need to max it out. Overall, maxing it out will save me around $6k in taxes, which is insane. I'm now looking into the ability to open up an HSA, which if I contributed the max, would bring my MAGI down low enough to be able to get a deduction on a Traditional IRA. Otherwise, I'm gonna bang everything I can into a Roth IRA.

I'm so hyped up for this, this year I will have doubled my savings, and it's primarily a result of taking an active interest in this again, instead of just assuming that I can put money away that's left over.

5. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog High Inquisitor

Thanks for all the advice, I went for betterment (I liked their dependance on VEA>VWO, but still lots in both) and opened a Roth for '16 and '17, and then i'll see what my actual paycheck turns into when I finished residency before I go into other vehicles.

6. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

HSA's are amazing if you can qualify for them! Betterment doesn't support them (yet!) but they have a few articles written about them and how they are great to have.

For anyone interested: https://www.betterment.com/resources/life/truth-about-hsas-and-retirement/

That's great! Welcome to the lovely world of investments. Remember you have until April 15th of the following year to max your IRA contributions. So if you haven't maxed 2016 before 15 April 2017 you should still be contributing to your 2016 goal up to that date.

7. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

Betterment has come out with a new feature for their service. Tax Coordinated Portfolios.

Basically you 'link' different types of taxable, tax-deferred, and tax-exempt goals together and Betterment manages them together as a single portfolio to minimize tax impact on you and improve long term goals.

Here's a link to the article they wrote: https://www.betterment.com/resource...t-news/introducing-tax-coordinated-portfolio/

And here's a link to a white paper they wrote on the subject: https://www.betterment.com/resources/research/tax-coordinated-portfolio-white-paper/

Sorry for the double post, it's been more than 30 days and I couldn't edit my previous post.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016