1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Is the The Lie I've lived the best HP fanfic ever written?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Shinysavage, Jan 24, 2017.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This is basically what I think as well. I'm not a fan of stories where Harry is so-kewl-u-guys.

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Jbern has always been great at pretty original ideas, which is impressive considering the sheer volume of fanfics out there. Each of his fics has at least a half dozen pretty original elements that are pretty good. A lot I have seen in other fics.

How he puts them together... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. If you read his work in the order he wrote it you can see him getting a lot better as an author, I also give him props for forcing himself to write in 1st, 2nd or 3rd person, not an easy thing to do, sure sometimes it doesnt work.

So yeah, his stories are pretty good first and second time through as you enjoy the interesting plot points, but less so each time as they arent especially deep stories.

I do love that DLP went from loving his stories to hating them when they got so popular, we are the hipsters of fanfiction...

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like his fics just appeal to a younger crowd, and when DLP was younger we all enjoyed them a lot. But as everyone grew up we all outgrew that appeal at the same time.

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Those of us that were writing 10+ years ago also outgrew (well, we like to think) our early writing styles and biases. Got better at wording by excessively wording.

There's a lot I'd change about my earlier stuff. Too long, too plot-driven. Characters should, for the most part, drive plot - not the other way round. That's always been one of my flaws.

Fics of Jbern quality, and popularity, earned their medals and scars. And as this thread shows, they're still drawing in the uninitiated.

5. Jenko

Jenko Banned

High Score:
    I would like to start of by saying I did not like other fics of Jbern except the TLIL.

Today marks a decade of TLIL. As to the question I would say yes. The reason is because consists of many factors.

1. Writing - Excellent writing from Jbern. What I love about this is how much similar it is to Dresden Files. Jbern and Butcher both write excellent first person filled with humor.

2. Pace - Except a few dueling scenes which was repetitive never did I feel bored of TLIL. From first to last its evenly paced and hooks you till the end.

3. Harry - The biggest reason TLIL works is Harry. He is what we always wanted to see in canon Strong, witty, mature. Harry single handedly takes this fic to the next level because jbern writes him so well.

4. New Charactersations - This fic was path breaking in its characterisations of characters. The Twins/Chasers were shown another side. Krum total opposite of canon.

5. Originality - Jbern is the best at original concepts only Silens Cursor comes close to him. The number of original concepts Jbern introduces is mind bloggling. Only other fix that much original concepts is Renegade Cause.

6. Overall - Its filled with action, humor, romance complete its an all rounder fic which has everything. Most importantly its a fun filled ride.

Finally TLIL is the best because of excellent writing, originality, . As someone who didn't like Bungle, TFCD hats off to Jbern for coming up with such a quality fanfic.

The only other fic which comes close to it is Renegade Cause because of the originality Silense Cursor introduces and the multiple complex plot that Silens used. Hats off to silens for the coming up with such a complex plot. But RC comes second because logic is sacrificed for the plot unlike TLIL. Another thing its a difficult fic to read as Harry gets no break and its distressing at point unlike the TLIL which is a comfortable fun ride.

Overall TLIL works because he has written a mature adult version of Rowlings child centric GOF and props to him for that. I mean that he writes in Rowling style. Harry centric school year fic with originality.

What amazes me is what a visionary jbern is. He wrote this fic 10 years ago with no knowledge of Deathley Hallows and yet came up with this path breaking fic which till today another fic has not been able to match. Hats off to Jbern. This is the fanfic which is the closest that comes to perfection.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Read Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived (later chapters), Contractual Invalidation, Circular Reasoning, and A Black Comedy. If you still think that then I don't know what to say

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm just amazed that this thread is still not locked.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't even like this fic. :(

Not open for further replies.