1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Island of Fire by esama - T - HP/Temeraire

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Nuit, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

I really liked this. I'm quite fond of the strategy/base building/civilization type of games so it's nice to see something like that in written form. It's certainly better than "The Difference One Man Can Make", which share some aspects. The lack of Harry's perspective wasn't the turn off that I would normally expect. In fact it gave him a sense of strength that maybe wouldn't be achieved if his thoughts were available to the reader.

The general transfiguration nerf bothered me a bit, but I get that it would make the survival too easy if the author were less limiting on that aspect. I didn't liked the whole reports way of telling the story, although several perspectives are welcome in this type of story.

I'll give it a 4/5. The writing style wasn't the ideal for me and there were a few nitpicks here and there, but the concept of Harry and/or a group of wizards building their own nation in another world hit way too many right buttons for me not to enjoy.

2. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

3. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

4. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

Wow. Cruel, but succinct.

I liked the update, but it feels like a morsel rather than something one can chew on.