1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

IT: Chapter Two

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Joe, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Y'all know I'm Stephen King's biggest fanboy.

The 2017 film 'IT', based on King's 1986 novel of the same name, has some casting news for the second chapter:

[​IMG]

Jessica Chastain is confirmed as Beverly Marsh.

James McAvoy is all but confirmed for Stuttering Bill Denborough (an inspired choice, in my opinion).

Bill Hader as Richie 'Trashmouth' Tozier. It just fits.

I think most will agree the 2017 'IT' was a brilliant adaption, particularly Bill Skarsgård's Pennywise, and the calibre of casting thus far shows they're looking to double down on a good story.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

So they made the first remake as the first part of the movie and the second portion is going to be them as adults. I wish movies weren't such cancer anymore. That being said, I'm excited to see it.

3. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

How is that cancer? The Hobbit was it done poorly, but giving a book room to breathe in the big screen is a good thing in many cases

4. Zombie

Its cancer because they're not doing it to breath new life into movies, they're doing it to make a franchise, which franchise =$$$. Don't try and tell me otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch it, but why was it that back in the 80s they made this movie and it was a two part VHS and told the same story, this time they need two whole movies to tell the same story? For what?

Most King adaptations are actual shit. IT was one of the better ones. Kings version of the Shining v. Kubriks? Kubrik wins. Hands down.

Desperation the direct to TV adaptation of a pretty fucking confusing coked out book of his? Maximum overdrive. Its all kitchy humor, and usually its shown that way.

I mean, fuck, look at Langoliers. They're all great. But that doesn't mean they need to reboot it or recreate it. They were fine how they were.

This still doesn't mean I'm not going to watch it though. I'm just bitching.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I didn't see IT in theaters. I watched it alone, in the evening, as one should to have a complete horror experience, right? Right.

I rightly have no idea if the movie was good or bad. I just know that it has renewed my conviction to just never watch horror films ever. For some unearthly reason I break this self-imposed rule once every few years and I always fucking turn into a jumpy mess and I'm scared to go to the bathroom after sundown for a week. Fuuuuuuuuuck this movie. If they wanted to scare people, well fucking done. I'm not even gonna watch the teaser for Chapter 2.

Fuck all horror films.

6. Zombie

Scary movies aren't really scary. They're just about the jump scare, and if that doesn't get to you then its not worth being scared over. Its gotta have some kind of plot to it other than hack'em up-Slash'em up.

7. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

But It was a good film and I see no reason why the sequel well be bad. I'm glad it exists alongside The Tim Curry version. There's nothing wrong with franchises; we've had souless cash grabs for decades, and tossing a number after them hasn't changed that at all. Plenty of sequels or remakes are good after all

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, a studio picture with big-name actors in it has to be a money-making exercise just because of how expensive it is. You don't sink $35 million into a production budget (Plus however much went into marketing) without a solid plan for how turn a profit on your investment.

For that matter, the Steven King miniseries from back in the day were money-making enterprises too. If anything they were more cynical, given that a lot of them were low-budget cash-ins on King's name at the height of his popularity as an author. Just slap his name on an in-name-only adaptation of one his novels or a screenplay he made vaguely approving noises about when you asked him about it while he was on a coke-binge and you can make bank no matter how terrible the mini-series is.

The only people who make movies purely for the art are youtubers whose channels are too small to make any real money. And even they're probably hoping to get their break and make it big someday.

9. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Seriously? No one, not a soul in Hollywood sinks any kind of money into any kind of production without the end goal being to make even more money. People don't spend millions of dollars to give you a two hour entertainment experience for no reason other than the goodness from their hearts. Way to focus on the negatives whilst ignoring the positives. As if the Dark Knight was made in a little vacuum where they ignored the possibility of it making money. But seriously, of all the aspects of capitalism to bitch about...

I think that studios have most certainly been very lazy in some of their attempts to start franchises in the post MCU world. However, at the same time, when they haven't taken the time give proper care to the material then audiences take notice. And ultimately if you want a successful franchise then you need to deliver on each and every instalment. For the most part the best way to earn money, all things being equal, is to have a high quality product which shouldn't be viewed as an innately bad thing.

Just because someone makes a movie purely for the art doesn't inherently make it superior. Look at fanfiction for goodness sakes. It is the exact same thing in a different medium.

I enjoyed the first part of It, had an entire theatre to myself and loved it. So I'm looking forward to the final part. Like it or not the TV miniseries is pretty dorky, this is probably one of the few reboots that actually has a reason to exist.

10. Zombie

This issue with a franchise that quality sometimes suffers. Sure you got a substantial budget, but its really in how you use it. If you use it to grab big name actors, that doesn't necessarily make a good movie. That's all I'm saying. I'll still watch this, but I never once thought hey, you know what I reallllly want to see? A two part remake of It.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

People thought they wanted a faster horse instead of a car as well.

I'm happy we're getting more long form adaptations of books, because often trying to jam them into 90 minutes doesn't work

12. Zombie

You seem to be arguing for arguments sake.

The original movie was 193 minutes long. That's 3.21 hours and it was plenty long enough to convey two story lines as is typical to a King book (i.e Hearts in Atlantis (which didn't get that long of a movie as compared to the Book) If you use the 2017 'It' reboot as a comparison to the future release, run time is going to be roughly 4.5 hours total.

Why do we need that much movie for someone to tell a story?

Maybe they should learn how to tell a better story. Media formats has existed with the standard 1.23 format for long time. I don't see any reason why I need four and a half hours of content for something that I feel was already told well. This isn't the only movie getting a reboot. That's my argument. I don't think some movies should be rebooted because the directors lack the distinct ability to direct and give a total shit show (Robocop Reboot, Judge Dredd Reboot, Spiderman Reboots, just to name a few).

There are some that are good, but good v bad, bad wins.

A horse v car argument doesn't make your statement anymore valid. The only improvements of this movie v the old movie is that they're using CG here instead of props and actual settings and not just sampled green screen backgrounds.

Personal opinion aside, just based on other reboots, I don't have much expectation going in. I can either be wow'd or I'll leave disappointed. The larger issue I initially started with, using this movie as an example is that Reboots are killing the cinema. And what little Original Content that's getting made is getting choked out of the theater by big name reboots.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  13. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The new film was 137 minutes. It only covered the first half of the book and even then had the cut stuff. It was still a good film.

I'm not arguing for the sake of argument here, you're just being silly with the idea that having long stories take multiple films to do justice is somehow bad. There's nothing wrong with telling a story on 2hr vs telling it in 5hr split over two films if you're doing a better job with the latter. There tends to be something wrong with trying to squish a story into a small set of time or having a film run for three hours. A willingness to tell a story over multiple installments is something I didn't know I wanted for It but it's seemed to work out great; how you're getting "green screens" out of that I know not.

Also, hating the Dredd reboot really just goes to the argument that you have no taste, not that reboots are bad. Or hell, how they're somehow killing cinema.

14. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not to mention the It miniseries was split up into two parts as well. The book being half with kids and half with adults just makes for a natural dividing line, especially since the way King wrote the book (with the kid and adult plotlines running simultaneously) probably works way better on the page than it would on screen.

Speaking of the book, It was a 1138 page long long mega-tome. For comparison, that's a larger page count than all three Lord of the Rings books put together (1008 pages). The book has more than enough material to fill out two movies.

As for reboots killing other movies ... not seeing it. Reboots, remakes, and adaptations have been part of cinema for a long time without ruining anything. A quick check of the top-grossing movies of 2017 shows plenty of original films like Coco, Dunkirk, Get Out, The Greatest Showman, Split, and Wonder. For comparison I see only a few reboots in the top 25, and the Jumanji reboot was actually a very fresh take on the material (though the Beauty and the Beast remake ... yeah, it was justifiably bashed for creative sterility).

Really, the rise of internet word-of-mouth and social media makes it a lot rarer for good movies to go unnoticed, or for bad ones to get a pass. Movies like The Greatest Showman can bounce back from weak opening weekends to make bank, and big-name franchise films like Justice League or the Mummy reboot can still bomb even with all the marketing hype, especially since big budgets make it that much more of an uphill climb to actually start making money.