1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete It's an Odd Coincidence by Telcontar Rulz - LotR and X-Men

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by yojorocks, Feb 15, 2011.

1. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Title: It's an Odd Coincidence
    Author: Telcontar Rulz
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    DLP Category: Television and Movies
    Pairing: Wolverine/OC
    Summary: AU. Logan 'Wolverine' Howlett finds himself in a very strange place. He tries to figure everything out, but he seems cause more problems than solve them. Will he be able to deal with it, and will he ever get home? A crossover between X-Men and LotR.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4828018/1/Its_an_Odd_Coincidence

To put it bluntly, a very well written LotR crossover where you aren't drowned in elvish terms and slash or other mauling of Tolkien's characters. It's the X-Men movieverse, so that's a bit of a negative, but it's done tastefully enough that it's bearable. The characters do change a bit from interacting with each other, but it's done slowly and believably enough that it works out pretty well.

The author balances out the two universes, constantly making puns about how slang and things that people understand the references to in RL just aren't compatible with Middle Earth. It gets a little old after a while, but still manages to be pretty interesting most of the time, and every now and again a curveball comes up and you get a surprise chuckle out of a dark moment.

It does deviate from Canon LotR enough that it doesn't feel like a rehash SI into the story, but retains enough similarity that you kinda feel at home in it. While not quite as epic on scale as the Buffy/LotR First Knight fic, it still weighs in respectably at 340k words, so expect to sink some time into this one.

As far as romance, it's really only there to add a little bit to the story it seems, and there isn't a hint of slash in the damn thing (thank god). That in mind, don't expect epic romance: this is Wolverine we are talking about, and he keeps his crass attitude throughout most of this. Oh, if I'm mistaken about the elf being an OC, forgive me: I'm not extremely versed in Tolkien lore that I can recite elven bloodlines like some.

All in all, it has solid writing, manages to avoid the pitfalls that plague most of the LotR fics. Better yet, it's finished. A very solid use of time, good storytelling, but not earth-shattering innovation necessary to push it to a perfect score. Very solid 4/5 rating.

2. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I had a problem caring about the story, but I will give it a second chance.

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Starts okay, but dear lord is this thing slow. So very slow... It's worse than the originals! I just skipped entire chapters and I don't think I missed anything important.

4. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Not enough description, hackneyed dialogue, and sudden changes in setting with no warning or explanation. 2/5 from me.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm about 15 chapters in and I still can't get over how fucking stupid this version of Logan is. I mean shit, he's not exactly Charles Xavier, I get it, but the way he acts is just so god damned retarded that I feel like I'm reading a chapter of Naruto. Still, I'm going to keep reading this if only for the throw away line of Boromir liking the idea of trench warfare. Now that is something I would like to see.

6. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

This. Seriously, his ignorance and general stupidity almost makes it too painful to read. If the author did less "retarded humor" this would be quite awesome.

2.5/5

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, that was painful. Reading what the author did to Logan was almost as painful as what he did to Aragorn...didn't make it through the first chapter. I may have missed out on something for my prompt retreat, but I doubt it.

8. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Not that far in, but this has to be the worst Logan characterization I have seen. This follows the movie verse in which, if anything, he was less antagonistic than the comics, and was shown as an intelligent person. This reads like a spoiled brat with claws in his hands. Seriously, Logan is not a spoiled duffer.

I'll read a little more but this is fast going in the 'give me the time I spent on this back' pile.

Edit: Loathsomely bad Logan characterization. Yes, this is idiot Naruto, not Logan. I definitely want the time I spent on it back.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Shit. Shit Logan, shit Aragorn, shit story.

1/5

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Were none of you fazed by the strikingly stupid concept? LoTR and the X-Men? :/

11. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Considering that there's only one X-man (as far as I know; only read 3 chapters) the concept didn't bother me. If it were a real cross, they would probably just have Nightcrawler teleport them to Mt. Doom, or have Pheonix throw the ring into the sun or something.

12. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I was morbidly curious. And, well, I got what I deserve for being curious.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was bored, then I had high hopes that instead of it just being another LotR rewrite we'd have Logan going to the front lines of the war, perhaps meeting up with Faramir at some point, but that got shot down almost immediately. I still haven't been bored enough to reopen the fic again, in the hopes of WWI style trench warfare (albeit with trebuchets instead of artillery), but I doubt I'm going to see that at all so I may not bother.

14. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

Got all the way to Chapter 29 before I got too bored of it. It's basically a canon rewrite with Logan added for no real reason but to just be there. The repetitive use of "Oh I forgot you're not from my world and don't know what I'm talking of" gets rather infuriating as well.

During all those chapters I haven't noticed any real character development. In fact, the only two things that stood out was some of the fellowship adopting some of Logan's slang and the Legolas Logan bonding-that-wasn't-actually-bonding.

There is an appeareance by another X-man universe character but the way that seems to be going is that he'll be another tag-along until the very end where his own agenda is revealed.

Wouldn't recommend unless very bored.

2/5

15. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I saw the crossover in the thread title and clicked through, thinking that if it were bad, it'd at least be bad in an entertaining way. Not so. As others have said, the author has essentially one gimmick, the "You talk funny" thing that requires idiot balls for all to work.

This isn't even a time waster. Rather, it's an artistically challenged kid sketching vague memories of Wolverine from a movie he saw into the margins of his copy of LOTR.