1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

James and Lily

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ragon, Jul 6, 2007.

?

Who is stronger

1. Snape> James in Hogwarts

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Snape>Sirius in Hogwarts

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Snape<Sirius in Hogwarts

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Snape<James in Hogwarts

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Quote from HBP, page 496, U.S edition.

Turns out, there is magic outside of Hogwarts. Magic that Slughorn learned outside of Hogwarts. Magic that was brought in oustide of Hogwarts and told to Tom. But, Tom still does not learn how to make a Horcrux. If you continue on, you find out there is a spell you need. A spell Slughorn does not know, a spell Tom found out outside of Hogwarts.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1. "Hard-pushed " =/= immpossible. We know of at least 1 book that mentions them.

2. Learnt during Hogwarts is learnt during Hogwarts, no matter what the source. So what if you learn it from a teacher?

3. Harry knows all about horcruxes. Where did he learn it? Hogwarts.

Think about this for a moment. Magic such as the magic they teach at the auror-training course, where does it come from? If you trace it back far enough, a person who made a spell, and published the spell. Where do you publish spells? Books. And where do you keep books? In libraries. And where is the biggest Library in the UK? Hogwarts.

Why is it so hard to believe that the sole magical learning institution in the UK has all the knoweldge? In the Muggle world, if you were to collect all the books from every university and school in the UK and put them all together, you'd have pretty much a source of all known knowledge.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  3. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

My last post in this thread, because I feel like I'm arguing with a wall. Harry and Tom Riddle learned about horcruxes from teachers- under special circumstances. The information itself is not taught to anyone and cannot be found in the Hogwarts library. Those teachers have to have learned it somewhere. Thus, there is learning after Hogwarts.

4. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

That's just fucked up logic, Taure. Let's say, if a student found a adult wizard magazine that describes how to have sex, than that means that Hogwarts teaches how to fuck? Yes I know that this is dumb example. Also, if some stupid student got stressed about his exam results and Snape told him to go jump from Astronomy Tower, than it would mean, that Hogwarts teaches how to kill yourself, right? I do not think, that Riddle found the book detailing the process of making Horocruxes in the Almighty ana the Most Amazing Library of Hogwarts. Most probably, it was in the Chamber of Secrets. I do not believe, that Dumbledore would leave a book like that in the Restricted Section.

5. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

DLR: Okay, I was wrong but Lorelei was right. Still that means things are learned out of Hogwarts which was our point all along. I only read HBP once because I hated it with a passion. Thought I was right, but i wasn't. Woops?

And Taure that is so illogical that it is embarrassing for you to even say it. There is no complete source of knowledge anywhere! Not all knowledge can be learned in Hogwarts. We have gotten off the main point of the thread and this is far passed being redundant.

6. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Taure, I know what you are saying about the library. But just because it is the largest source of knowledge, does not means it contains all books. Look at libraries in Canon that other families own. Malfoy's, Blacks, some of those are too dark to be in a school library. Hence, there is knowledge outside of Hogwarts.

7. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Okay Taure you screwed yourself on this. Your saying the Fidelus might not be in the Library but then you say that the Library at Hogwarts has all the knowledge.

And oh by the way your logical is so retarded I almost feel jealous that you have surpased me in insanity.

8. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Just to point this out: I think when Taure said
    he meant that there is no canon proof that it wasn't in the library. But other than that, Taure, your logic seems to have gone completely out the window. There is not, there has never been, and never will there be a library that has everything there is to know about 'ANY' subject inside it.

9. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

Indy!Harry is crying tears of blood. Seriously, though, this thread is getting repetitive. Kill it.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I gotta agree. Arguing with Taure is impossible. This is finished.

11. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

Don't let the RC fag win!

Independent study is how most people would learn new things after hogwarts.

12. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So a person who becomes an Auror and goes to the Auror Academy doesn't learn anything new there because it isn't Hogwarts?

So the Unforgivables are in the Restricted Section?

I'd say that this is just a bad usage of logic and deduction. New spells are learnt for your job and convenience. Yes, you aren't going to learn three hundred super-kewl spells after Hogwarts to do all these different tasks, I don't think the common witch or wizard could remember three-hundred different spells to be honest.

Spacks, it doesn't have to be just independent study, though you are correct that it is one way to do so. I'd say that their must be University or something after Hogwarts, even though that's a very fanon concept, to help aspiring potions or charms masters to reach their goal. Snape is a canon potions master and I don't think that he was certified right out of Hogwarts. That means out of Hogwats learning, plain and simple.

13. Kate

Kate Elite Member DLP Supporter

I agree. I mean, there is no clear canon evidence that counter either opinions, so this could go on forever.

14. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

In the cannon, it is said, that Voldemort taught Bellatrix Lestrange the Dark Arts. If you can learn ecerything in Hogwarts, then Voldemort would not be able to teach her anything, because she would have already known anything there is to know about Dark Arts (Black Library + Almighty Hogwarts' Library).

15. Kate

We don't know how much of a studious person Bellatrix was, so for all we know, Voldemort could have learned all the cool dark arts in Hogwarts and then taught them to Bellatrix. Thus still no clear canon evidence.

Oh, and a cannon goes boom.

16. Snarf

High Score:
    Is it not canon that the Unforgivables are not in Hogwarts or the library? Why would they have the three curses that will give you a life sentence in Azkaban available for use? Then, if you follow natural deduction, it means that you have to learn them outside of Hogwarts.

17. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Didn't Dumbledore say Voldemort traveled the world, digging deeper into rituals and dark magic?

18. Kate

Does It say that they aren't in the restricted section? But I don't disagree with you, personally I think that Wizards and Witches learn stuff after Hogwarts.

It's just not clear, so there will always be a counterargument for anything that is said in this thread, and it has started to run in circles, which was the point of my first post.

EDIT: This was an answer to Kolskit, and Verse of Darkness, Taure has already given a counterargument to that in a previous post.

19. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I think that Taure has some good points, but on the whole is argument falls apart.

That said, I think it is pretty reasonable to say that getting on O or your NEWTs proves you've got an exceptionally firm grasp on the subject.

There are a lot of things that Hogwarts doesn't teach, like Occlumency and Horcrux creation, but in most subjects, there isn't much left to learn.

Granted, you may be able to turn a desk into a pig when you leave Hogwarts, but it may not be easy.

True power comes through the skill do doe so quickly without weakening yourself.

I'd say that yes, the majority of the spells there are to know in transfiguration and in charms are taught in your hogwarts years.

However, your control over the magic continues to develop.

For things that aren't taught in the Hogwarts carticulum, they do have the Library, but alot of people are never going to learn that anyways.

Obviously people don't learn everything there is to know about magic at Hogwarts, but they do learn a Hell of a lot.

20. Snarf

High Score:
    In canon, Bill is a curse breaker, correct? All those ancient wards and curses on those tombs I doubt can be taught to you at Hogwarts. Maybe the spells and information detailing how you break the curses are in the library, but their is no class that we know of in canon and they definitely do not have ancient egyptian curses in the library.

Not open for further replies.