1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Jessica Jones

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by IAmJustAnotherGuy, Oct 23, 2015.

1. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I once heard a joke about how Jessica Jones' real power was self-sabotage. 7 episodes in and after seeing all of her plans, all I can do is agree.

Still, every actor on this show is killing it! Tennant, Ritter and Colter are spot on from their comic counterparts. I have quite enjoyed the side characters like Malcolm, Hoggart and Simpson.

They seem to reference Avengers more so than the rest of the movies or shows. Can't wait to see more "gifted"

2. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I, uh, seem to have watched every episode in one sitting. Not sure where the time went. It took me at least a few days to get through Daredevil...

I liked it quite a bit. Kind of hungry. Might give it a real review after I eat something.

3. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

"Sweet Christmas"

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Finished. I probably liked Daredevil a little more, but I feel that Jessica Jones was a little better overall. It's probably because DD was a somehow disjoined at the times, especially in its finale and how his costume looked out of place. JJ didn't have such problems.

My only complain could be about killing Kilgrave. It's mostly because Marvel keeps doing it to its villains, but at least this time it didn't feel like they completely wasted his potential. Tennant was inspired choice for this role and he did deliver. While comic Kilgrave has a limited heal factor, him coming back from death would be repetitive, but maybe they could have him in flashbacks?

5. IAmJustAnotherGuy

Man, I never thought I'd feel bad for Nuke. I'm still on episode 10 but I quite liked him. Then again, the moment they said red, white and blue pills I knew what was to come

6. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

Celestin

I generally agree that Marvel's been killing off far too many of its villains (I firmly believe that the reason Loki is so popular is in part because he has so much more screen time than any other MCU villain) but out of all of the villains Kilgrave is probably the first that actually made sense why he had to die.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I thought it was really well put together, it was tight, well acted and beautifully shot. They didn't shy away from the horrific side of Kilgrave's powers, and Tennent is so good, you still wanted to like the guy at times. Though they implied rather than showed some of the darker nastier sex related parts of Alias, it didn't feel like they cut it out altogether.

Though it was interesting that for this they went with Jessica being raped by Kilgrave. Whereas in the comic, she always said he didn't, he did what he planned to do in the end. Made her sexually obsessed with him, made her beg while screwing other women, but never actually touching her. Equally horrific but I suppose that would be harder explain in the right way.

If I had a complaint it would be that the story felt to tight, there was little for her to do that wasn't connected to Kilgrave. His tricks are horrific but he felt a little overused, ( though I did watch them all at once so that might have been my fault.) It would have been nice to have her take on other cases and develop around that.

Also it seems such a waste of a villain, Tennent was so good at making him somewhat sympathetic, even when he's getting people to stick there fingers in a blender or whatever. Especially with the idea that he can't actually control/doesn't always know when he's using his powers on people. I mean what a way to grow up, no wonder you'd end up seeing people as things. He embodies the momentary petty cruelty in all of us, and he's so frightening because he uses his powers not to take over the world, but in ways we daydream about all the time, say to that dick who cut you off in traffic. I wish they had had him hold back a little more, he was more chilling when he was telling people to do things we would yell ourselves, go over there, shut up, eat a bag of dicks, work day and night etc etc rather than the more obvious sadistic cruelty.

The more relatable he was, the more you end up wondering if you would be much better if given the same sort of power. Not would you put your dad in a blender, more in that would you be able to avoid using it in the same petty ways when you were pissed off. Would you also slide into using it more and more to get what you want...

I know killing him is Jessica's main charterer arc in Alias, but I want more dammit, a second season at least. There's so much more they can do with it, and the Defenders wont have time to focus on things like that.

I liked the Luke/Jessica relationship, not always as fucked up as the comics, but well done, some real chemistry there. I'd like to see more of it

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

Speaking of the comics, Comixology has a sale on Jessica Jones titles until 11/29 (here's my referral link). I picked up Alias for $28, which I think is a pretty good steal. They also have issues of The Pulse and the 2010-12 New Avengers run on sale too.

As for pacing, while I think there could have been more one-off villain-of-the-week episodes, I like the quicker pacing than what we get on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Part of that may be that I don't care all that much about the characters on the latter as I don't mind the pacing of Flash or Arrow.

I do feel there needs to be an episode in either Luke Cage or The Defenders where all the heroes and their friends/confidants are just kicking it back in Cage's bar. Cuz holy shit do these people need a nice breather episode.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Yeah, unless they invented some way to stop him, he needed to die. The vaccine could be that, but since it would cheapen an impact his powers have, it's better that it didn't work.

Anyway, Marvel better speed up their work with Iron Fist (since we need to get this one first before they can make The Defenders) because I really want to see how Matt and his friends will interact with Jessica and her crew.

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Finished as well. Have to say I dug Daredevil more, though.
    There were just too many scenes that didn't jive -
    the whole torture thing, Simpson's whole shindig before he flips the fuck out, Robyn (uuuurgh fuck the scene where she incites that mob).

Still, pretty decent overall. Episode 12 was good, episode 13 was great.

11. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Up to episode 8 now. Tennant is firing on all cylinders.

12. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So is this series as dark/depressing as the trailers make it out to be or will I still have some faith in humanity left after watching it? I have nothing against some dark themes but will this be like GoT where I will experience absolutely nothing positive/happy?

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's her romance with Luke Cage, and lots of funny and/or dry lines/moments, but thematically? Yeah, it's pretty damn dark.

14. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I liked it! I think I did enjoy Daredevil better, but still, it's a good show.

Hahaha yes, this.

15. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

All in all. I think Daredevil is the better show personally, but this is still right up there.

16. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

I liked daredevil better as well. Thought the acting and directing was well done but the tone of the plot wad super one note.'I thought I could trust you but youre actually being mind controlled.'

The best story was jones being set up by a terrified mortal.

17. IAmJustAnotherGuy

I decided to let the rest show for a while in my head to give a non-hyped review. It is definitely a flawed show but that does not make it bad in any way. It felt a bit slow at times but never dragged. Daredevil is the better show in my opinion but as an ALIAS fan, this is outstanding.

The fact that this is more so a character study helped the show a great deal. While Jessica and Kilgrave were heavily characterized, I found myself missing the appearance of certain side characters on screen. Malcolm, Luke, Simpson, Patsy and Hoggart were as entertaining as the protagonist, perhaps even a bit more so.

I don't know how to feel regarding Purple Man actually raping Jessica. I do not root for him but for a second there, Tennant almost made me do so. I was doubting myself until Jessica flat out said he raped her. I'm not saying what he did in the comic was better but I guess the producers decided to go that way so that people didn't end up rooting for Kilgrave. I'm willing to bet a bunch of Tumblr fangirls will do so either way though.

I get why he was killed off but I still see it as a waste of a wonderful actor that truly depicted the character on screen. They could have just drugged him and put on The Raft like in Bendis' New Avengers (a run I highly recommend).

Also, for those of you that read the comic:

They seem to be setting the origin of her powers in the case a second season is approved. I'm guessing IGH is a play on Inhuman Growth Hormone the same way MGH was of Mutant Growth Hormone. After all, wasn't Nuke a part of the experiments dedicated to make a new super soldier and that was somewhat involved Weapon X? Since they can't use the mutants to make the drug they must have done so with the inhumans. Anyone think this makes Jessica a sort of Inhuman?

I really hope the 99 friends thing wasn't just a lie to scare that lady.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The 99 gifted people might not be a lie (although it probably was), but 99 friends was absolutely a lie :p

Just finished. I thought it was really good. I'm not sure where it stands in comparison to Daredevil; I liked DD more, I think, but I also think that despite the grit and brutality of that show, it's more accessible than JJ, which for all the super-powered shenanigans is essentially the character study of a woman trying to work through her trauma. You get a lot of that in DD, true, but it's threaded through a more recognisable crime drama arc.

By the end, I wasn't sure who I despised more, Kilgrave or Hogarth! Really liked the relationship between Jess and Luke, and I'm really looking forward to the Luke Cage series - I thought Coulter lifted the show every time he was on screen, not that anyone else was bad. Tennant...I can't quite decide about. He certainly commanded attention, but I did feel at times that he was simply falling back on a sleazier version of his Doctor. On the other hand, that's perhaps quite a clever take on Kilgrave; a thoroughly repellent character who you can't help but enjoy at times because you're reminded of the cheeky Timelord we all know and love, which adds a certain something to the whole mind-control thing. Ritter was great, understated and unlikeable a lot of the time, but always sympathetic. Honestly, the only one of the cast I didn't really warm to even slightly was Robyn, who thoroughly irritated me.

Only two real negatives: I felt the sequel hooks weren't threaded in as neatly as they were in DD, and the fight scenes were sometimes a little underwhelming. I get that they were held back in-universe a) because Jess was pulling her punches so as not to kill people and b) because most of the people she was fighting were being mind-raped, but sometimes it felt more like they were holding back because they couldn't afford to show her going all out.

All in all, great show, probably more an 8 than DD's 9, and not for everyone.

19. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    After the first episode, I'm very impressed, and very in.

A little worried how much the mind-control might play into this, as I'm hoping it's not too central, but even if it is I hope to like this more.

20. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Deleted.

This is why you should first read the thread.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015