1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Jessica Jones

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by IAmJustAnotherGuy, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Hate the Robyn character so damn much. Ritter is great, Tennant plays the best evil character. The one who you feel for yet can hate at the same time.

2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good, she's not meant to be lovable, she's a smallfry antagonist who manages to do real damage because she's stubborn and ignorant. I like her existence and relevance and I love to hate her.

3. Maphisto40

Maphisto40 First Year

High Score:
    Yep, whilst watching that train wreck unfold, all I could think about was the fact that I know people just like her. It was uncomfortably realistic.

4. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I was fine with her until she was able to convince the group to form a posse to take Jessica down in like 30 seconds. Basically a plot device to set Killgrave loose again.

I thought that was very dumb.

5. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Agreed that she played her part well but it just seems a bit two dimensional. They could have given her some more redeeming traits. Hell, even her love for her brother didn't really sway me. Like at all.

6. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

7. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I hope the actor is good. I'm kinda sad that I'm they arent using Thomas Jane. I thought he was a great Punisher.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Jessica Jones officially renewed for series 2.

9. bronte

bronte Squib

So many marvel mini-series in the pipeline at Netflix atm, I'm worried about how they'll make them all cohesive story wise and with their scheduling. I hope they don't have the nurse character just pop up in each show to make it feel linked.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Season 2 just dropped.

Going to be hard to top Kilgrave but here's hoping they can do it. Now I just need time to binge.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Binge complete.

In short, I am disappointed. There was a handful of entertaining moments (the kilgrave visions episode and the flashback episode were the highpoints), but it was otherwise a bit of a trainwreck.

The introspective noir storytelling style of the first season was almost entirely missing this time around. Instead they bounced around from plot point to plot point, all the while juggling a dozen different cliched narratives. I can't decide which was worse: the struggling single dad romance or the "I'm a monster!!!" ode to Frankenstein drama.

Ritter did well with what she was given for Jessica. There was virtually zero character growth, but she was at least entertaining to watch.

The side chars... not so much. Trish and Malcolm went from unlikeable to painful to watch whenever they appeared onscreen. Hogarth's side story was pedantic and predictable. And the main "antagonists"... well... they were unthreatening to say the least.

Dr. Karl, your typical misguided mad scientist stereotype, had me rolling my eyes with every line. Alisa was just a snoozefest, even when she was in rage monster mode.

It's watchable, but holy hell, what a huge step down from season one.

12. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Anybody knows anything about Malcolm's dad? From the way Cheng spoke about it, it sounded like he is important somehow...
    Season 2 is an inevitable step down from S1, you just can't top Killgrave.

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I enjoyed it, but it took me awhile to get through it, where as I binged the first season in a couple of days.

Still enjoyed it more than daredevil season 2

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Finally got round to watching this, largely in quiet stretches at work over the last couple of weeks. Given that I binged the first series in a few days, gripped at (most) every point, you can probably deduce that series 2 is a step down.

That said, it's infinitely better than Iron Fist, which I never finished, or the Defenders, which I quite enjoyed on viewing, but I could barely tell you anything about now. The overall story arc is pretty dull, but the character moments aren't bad, although most of the development is for the worse, where it isn't entirely absent. It did feel much more of an ensemble piece, for better or worse, rather than being all about Jessica.

The constant wavering over what to do about Alisa was frustrating, by the end, although mostly believable, and even when Trish was being the absolute worst, it was still kinda compelling. Likewise Jeri, and her revenge was one of the better moments of the series.

All in all, decent enough, but not must see TV. It has got me a bit more interested in checking out Luke Cage 2 though, although I still can't find any enthusiasm to check out the Punisher series.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Wow. Season 3 sucked giant donkey balls. Every char was holding the idiot ball for at least 85% of their screen time.

Also

Everyone: *hates Trish, Hogarth, and Token Black Guy*

Marvel/Netflix: "hey everybody, here is an entire season about Trish, Hogarth, and Token Black Guy."