1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Journeyman Potter by draco664 - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Nov 15, 2005.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Actually, Apprentice Potter I think had over 1600 reviews or something on fanfiction.net when they made/started enforcing their rule about no more song lyrics or quotes of any kind. Draco voluntarily pulled all of his fics off ff.net in protest, like a few others then. His yahoo group was the only place you could find updates as he finished Apprentice Potter. I think with HBP and the idea of horcruxes it opened the door to a sequel, that I got the feeling wasn't planned before HBP. Then Jeconais and Crys started inviting more of the excellent and ostracized authors who'd abandoned ff.net to their little site etc...

As for Herman, well, I don't think she's out of it yet. And I think two girlfriends can work fine, as long as the dating, the relationships, and the girlfriend-ish aspects have essentially nothing to do with the rest of the story and a very small part at all. Probably why I like this so much. Harry could be not dating at all, and it wouldn't change the fic hardly. A sign of nonjon-approved romance.

2. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

Chapter 10 has been posted.

Enjoy,

Draco

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Muggle Science ftw. Good Chapter.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Fucking great. That was the best chapter since Vatican heist IMO. Ron's character was especially good - just the kind of goofy sidekick JKR is trying to create (and failing for 6 books straight).

The only problem plot-wise is the time-travel paradox (cause is effect, which is cause, which is effect...), but since I don't have that much experience time-traveling myself, I can hardly talk :)

5. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

I wanted my version of Ron to still have the sort of rapidly flickering personality that the brains gave him, but an intense loyalty to Harry that overrode everything else. He's turned into someone who is enjoying life so much that he just wants to laugh at everything, while eating ten meals a day, of course.

*Blush*

Yeah, the original premise became redundent halfway through the chapter without me realising, and I was having so much fun writing the little adventure that I didn't work in a cause for it all to happen.

So, the official answer is, Until I can think of a good reason, it is because it makes a better story.

I mean, how dull would it be for Harry to go to Gringotts and bloody *withdrawing* a Horcrux?

Draco

6. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Nice chapter. It was a good lighthearted read which changed the tone of the story at least briefly. It is always nice to throw a change of pace in there.

Jim

7. cubdom

cubdom Guest

I enjoyed the latest chapter as well. I traditionally don't like time travel in stories because it gives an Author carte blanche to do things and then erase the consequences of an action... but this chapter was done well specifically because it wasn't done to 'fix' an action, but to make the story suspenseful. Draco is right. How dumb is it to go into Gringotts and withdraw a Horcrux? Instead, we're treated to lots of sneaking around and action and excitement... and the final result is nearly the same. Harry went to the bank and he got his Horcrux out... but additionally, the Goblins feel like they owe one to Harry.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yup, that's Gringotts for you.

"Every withdrawal - a new adventure!" is their motto. :)

9. Kalen_Darkmoon

Kalen_Darkmoon First Year

I found this fic and it's predecessor "Apprentice Potter" to both be very enjoyable and fun to read.

10. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Guess who updated! The new chapter is quite good, with a nice little twist. THe Horcrux part was nicely done and we get to see more insight in what is going on. I liked the conclusion with a certain character, it was pretty good. Leaves a lot of room open.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  11. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Yeah, decent chapter. The first few paragraphs or so seemed like useless filler to me, though. I don't care about Ron, nor the fact that he is a quidditch star getting appraising looks from waitresses. Snape being a ghost was a nice twist. 4/5.

12. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

I can give you no higher compliment than 'your writing made me go into a career of writing'. Sheer genius. Easily one of the best fics around, and engaging not like a Harry Potter fanfic but like a novel in its own right, yet still similar enough not to make me disbelieve. I'll forgive you for having a child, but only if you go into a writing career yourself and publish a book. I want your works on my bookshelf.

I can't even think of anything constructive to say, and I can almost always find something or rather.

6/5.

13. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

Um, thanks?

Oddly, I am working on an original piece of fiction. But I am taking the Raymond Feist route, rather than the Eddings path. Developing the world in which the action takes place in first, with cultures, customs, laws and people, rather than make it up as you go along.

That way, plot holes you can drive a bulldozer through are plugged before you start chapter 1.

Actually, if anyone is interested in helping me develop the world (adopting a country to build as you see fit, or even help flesh out the history) drop me a line and let me know.

Draco

14. greenday0813

greenday0813 Guest

I liked his previous fic, but discarded this one after the prolouge. I may have to look into it again.

15. MadBiologist

MadBiologist Second Year

Well, this fic has just been updated !

At first, I have been turned off by the threesome. Normally, I really don't like Harry/Multi, but I'm glad that I got over my prejudice. This fic is just brilliant ! I especially like the sarcastic Harry. His mentor OC is also very well fleshed out, I think it is one of the best OC characterization in Harry Potter fanfics.

In this last chapter, it looks like he is finally ditching Hermione, which should please a lot of people, myself included. I also liked the interaction between Harry and Dumbledore, with the old man trying to manipulate Harry to do something for him and Harry giving his "I couldn't care less" attitude.

All in all, an excellent fic. 5/5

16. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Another fine chapter from a quality author. My only complaints were that Dumbles seemed to have had a bit too much humble pie before meeting with Harry. Then again, last time Harry was in his office, he killed Snape.

Jim

17. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Too much?

Even with the large serving, he seemed to be backsliding a bit to me by the time Harry left the office...

There is something about this chapter that seemed just a little 'off'...maybe it was that it just didn't flow, or maybe the confrontations with Dumbles are getting too routine, but there was something missing.

18. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Good chapter, though I found the dialogue with Ginny pretty pointless, and Harry's question about Hermione coming back was pretty stupid, IMO. 4.5/5.

19. The_Banisher

The_Banisher First Year

I am going to have to agree here. Hermione left ... not that hard to understand. Besides she was being a whiny little bitch. Harry did not need to, in any way, shape , or form, have a chat with Ginny.

20. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Just got updated again, and with a huge chapter. Some action, a trip to the Vatican, a good duel and a friendly Basalisk. All in all a very good chapter, but what else can you expect from Draco664.