1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Just Like Last Tuesday, Except With Zombies by angel-daws (Glee) - M

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by Silens Cursor, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Title: Just Like Last Tuesday, Except With Zombies
    Author: angel-daws
    Rating: M
    Genre: Horror
    DLP Category: Misc (Glee)
    Pairing: Puck/Rachel
    Summary: "Lima is infested with zombies, and McKinley High's glee club, along with guest judge Emma Pillsbury, hole up inside the school to combat the blood-thirsty hordes."
    Link: here

I can't believe I like this story, I really can't. Frankly, this story shouldn't exist.

I mean, it's a Glee fanfiction... but with zombies. It's a zombie survival story in the vein of Zombieland or Shaun of the Dead, imagined with the detailed and quasi-human cast of the show. It's over-the-top, gory as hell, and downright unbelievable at points.

And frankly, it's one of the best damn zombie stories I've read, period. It's awesome in ways it really shouldn't be - after all, this is Glee we're talking about - the high school musical-drama that causes everyone to facepalm whenever they watch more than fifteen minutes of the damn show. But we have realistic characterization, excellent dialogue, and some balls-to-the-wall scenes that impressed me at least. Plus they pay homage to nearly every great zombie movie and cliche in existence, which I kind of liked.

My biggest gripes with the story is that the author didn't seem to totally accept the fact she was writing a kick-ass zombie story rather than a relationship drama, so we still get more 'relationship' conversations that are absolutely necessary, and while the author still has a great handle for the characters, the metamorphoses of some of these strain credulity (although the psychological breakdowns of each of the characters as they fight hordes of the undead in what very well might be the end of the world is pretty damned impressive and comprehensive). And the ending is a little more abrupt than I particularly liked - I think that she could have done more with the plot than she did, and I get the feeling she was running a little short on ideas.

But overall? Best damn thing in the Glee fandom, and probably the best attempt at a zombie fanfiction I've ever seen. 5/5

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Silens, I fucking hate you. Before this day, I didn't know what Glee was. Now... now... I ship Puck/Rachel. :facepalm

This story is fucking great. 5/5.

3. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why won't it stop making sense?

5/5.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Goddamn you, Silens.

5/5

5. Docker

Docker Third Year

I was hooked from the moment we found out the cheerleading coach had hidden hundreds of guns and other weapons under the high school gym's floorboards, in case of a Zombie attack or something similar. Classic.

Crossing a soap-opera styled high school musical drama/comedy with a traditional zombie gore fest is bizarrely hilarious to read.

5/5.

6. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Silens, I'm going to devote the rest of my life to killing you for this.

Now, because of you, I actually like something related to Glee.

5/5

7. Docker

Docker Third Year

That's pretty impressive, so far an unanimous five stars. And half of the reviewers seem to dislike the fact they like this story.

8. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

WAT?

Only thing going through my head the entire time that I was reading it.

If someone told me that this was the script for a spoof Halloween episode of Glee I woulda have believe them.

Then I would've shot them in the face for thinking I would enjoy it.

5/5 for being the best zombie fanfic I have read.

9. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

I loved it. 5/5

I just wish the author chose a better series like The Office or Community or something if she was going to do a Zombie fic.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

*sigh*

I'm not exactly sure why I liked it, but I did.

5/5

11. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You know what I really hate about this fic? It made me google Glee shit so I could make sure I was correctly following the characters. What has been learned cannot be unlearned.

Oh, the story kicked total ass.

5/5.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Silens. I hate you so much. I now have reason to explain to my Glee-obsessed brother that his favourite show is not in fact the bane of my life, only slightly below that of reality TV and the lack of new Supernatural episodes out for the rest of the week. On the other hand, zombies can make anything awesome.

5/5

13. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

I don't wanna read this, because I know Ill like it and I hate Glee.

Edit: Goddammit It's great.

5/5

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  14. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Reading this story is like that, but without a reason to re-hate Glee.

15. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

I really, really wanted to read the first few chapters and be the lone voice of dissension, proclaiming you guys fags for liking something from Glee fanfiction, of all things.

Yeah, I'm eating my words; Read the whole thing in one sitting; Fucking awesome doesn't even begin to describe this. Just... goddamnit, I feel like I need to turn in my man card now after reading this. Silens, you are a whore for finding this and infecting DLP with... Glee....

5/5. Someone shoot me now.

16. eetragt

eetragt Third Year

This is pretty much a death sentence, but I like Glee. It's not my favorite show, but I do enjoy watching it. After seeing the other reviews I decided that even though the premise sounded horrible, I would still give it a shot.

I enjoyed it. I didn't love it as much as everyone else did, but it was good. Most of the people were spot on, although I felt Kurt was a little OOC at times. Even so, I think it deserves a 5/5 for a combination of excellent writing and good characterization.

17. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

I found this by following a link Silens posted in Story Search. He promised, "The best zombie fic ever written." And he was right. This was epic. Goddamn you Silens, because now Glee will be forever associated in my mind with something completely badass. Damn you to hell.

The story was just sheer unadulterated kick-ass fun.

My favorite part was the final line.
    I assumed Sue had died when she was too stubborn to get on the bus, but then there's this closing line.

"Well, everything gets better other than the fact that Sue
    Sylvester eventually walks her way to Canada and leaves a
    swath of destruction across the U.S. unlike anything ever known
    to man. But Puck isn't in the habit of giving his child nightmares,
    so that's a story better left untold."

5/5

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One chapter. I got through one chapter before I caved in and went and asked my mate's younger sister about Glee. Three guesses as to how that conversation went.

Edit: Oh fucking hell. That really was epic.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  19. Covil

Covil Fourth Year

Zombies are always cool and chapter 1 has sufficiently convinced me to keep reading, but I want to comment on something. What maniac designed these characters?

The guy who sleeps in his office for some reason with the wife who lied about something to do with kids.

The teenage dad who's baby-momma dumped him for the boyfriend she was cheating on.

Finn and Quinn the teenage parents. The "dad" actually being best friends with his girlfriends baby-daddy while the girl is a raging bitch. (Srsly? Finn & Quinn?)

The gay kid.

The crippled kid whose parents are disappointed.

The weird girl who fakes a stutter for some reason and carpools with another girl she's not even sure she's friends with.

And the woman who is obsessed with the cleanliness of her office because "things" might have happened there while she wasn't watching. (Presumably naked things)

Rachel seems the most normal and bearable of the bunch.

These are the cannon characters, right? Crazy it's like Sarah Palin named them all. But still I'm gonna keep reading.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  20. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Covil - arguably, that's always been a weakness of Glee - the characters aren't particularly well-characterized. Well, at least at first. The show didn't know how much it could get away with, so it played it safe in some areas (characters) and went kind of nuts in others (plot).

On the other hand, I'd argue the story makes up for some of the weaknesses there in a big way. And I mean a BIG way.

Also, LOL at you saying that Rachel seems like the most normal one of the bunch. Hoo boy...