1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kinsfire, Dreadful, Poor, Acceptable and Myth.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Midknight, Feb 16, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No one can be bothered to read the freaking sticky on this so I'll repost whore it instead of wiping the current section like threatened.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  2. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I've devised a new system I shall be using to review:

[​IMG]

Pretend I stumble across an ip82 recommendation (very hard to do), I can imagine the advisory being in this position:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

4. Lord Necros

Lord Necros Slug Club Member

LOL dude I love it Bio I think this should be used in general for half the crap that gets posted here 9/10

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  5. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

Bio you do realize, that without ip, there would be way less good fic's in here.
    Of course he sometimes recommends fics that aren't really good, but nobody is perfect.
    Most of the time he even says what he dislikes in some fics that he recommends, but he also points out its good sides and why he has recommended it.

Btw: I did a little research and the only fic you recommended is in the trash bin...

6. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

Bioplague, STFU!

You have a one track mind my friend, has anyone ever told you that?

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Has anyone considered stickifying this thread?

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

It would be cool that whenever someone were to create a thread within this sub forum, Midknights post would pop up at you, heh.

9. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Gio :p:
    "No one can be bothered to read the freaking sticky on this so I'll repost whore it instead of wiping the current section like threatened."

Oh and ghst and Rake: just no.

10. ZanyMuggle

ZanyMuggle Third Year

From all of us who have been recommended by ip82, thanks, BioPlague.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Please, everyone, look at Merrill's User title, and proceed to laugh at his antics.

*giggle.*

12. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

imagine if there where fanfic terrorists, this would be hilarious. level orange ppl watch out!

13. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

The title enough is worth a lol, when referred to Yarrgh's 'Court Fucking Jester' comment.

But yeah, something like that alert system will probably save me the trouble of reading 7 paragraphs of a review waiting for someone to get to the damn point.

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I swear to god, if I ever see such a fucking poor example of speech and intelligence again, I'll hunt you down and rip out your jugular. Improve, or get the fuck out.

15. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

IP? Good fics? Not lately. He can write pretty well, sure. But i believe the statistics of his latest submissions is something like 65% have gone into the trash.

Sole case in point of making this post idiotic: Recommending This Harry Potter wud nevah say. (I cant even type with the horrid spelling used in the title.) and giving it a 4/5. Dont waste peoples time please.

One: Many times, has he been told this.

Two: Admin's have approved of his posts. Thank you, come again.

Mid's thread. He is competent enough to click the button at the bottom that says "Stick this thread after you submit your message."

Besides. This gives the staff reasons to necro. Ive always wanted to do that.

16. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I actually agree with both of you. IP does give some good stories into the library, but there is a negative impact on the bad stories he does recommend.

I have noticed that I don't normally trust the for review section anymore. I will wait until many people have at least wrote a decent review on it before even giving it a shot, because I have been traumatised by some of the stuff recently.

So, yes, IP has given a lot of the stories that have gone in the library, but the ones that haven't gotten anywhere...*shivers*

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Alright, alright, you're obviously not leaving it alone until I answer.

I'm not posting stories because I want them to end up in the library. I honestly don't care for or need the DLP library. I'm merely posting stories that catch my attention, one way or the other.

Sometimes, I find a perfectly acceptable story, that would probably survive the voting, but I don't post it because I didn't find anything overly interesting in it. Other times, I stumble upon a awfully written story, with crappy grammar and presentation, but something catches my attention - be it idea, or a joke, or low number of reviews, or I'm simply in the right mood, etc - whatever. These are the stories I post, mostly so I'd get them out of my head.

I always liked underdogs; obscure music bands, unpopular music genres, low budget movies, independent video games, etc... It's only natural that this will transfer to FF as well.

In the end, so what if I post fics I know will end up in the bin or deleted? Either way, you have fun flaming it and ragging about it in REVIEW section, which is what always kept this forum going. And yes, this is a FORUM - meaning a place to discuss stuff, good or bad - and not some glorified C2 group you all seem to want to turn it into.

Don't worry, I won't be posting any more recommendations at DLP, since you all seem to mind it so much. And I'm not starting another flame war, so you can scream and flamebait all you want, I have no intention of discussing this any further.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  18. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

I, for one, appriciate the bad stories that get posted as much as the good. The more stories posted the more chance of my finding one I do like. Considering the (imo) crap stories that some people here at DLP think are good, and the (imo) jewels that some people here at DLP think are crap...all postings are welcome (imo).

That said...no one (including myself at times) cares what my opinion is. Guess what though...that works both ways.

Cheers! :D

19. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

If there were five new threads in the review section, I would always go to IP's first. He does always explain the good and the bad and why he posted it. I trust his recommendations since he was finding good stories when FF was booming and people were churning out crap. There is an ever growing pool of stories to choose from, a pool which is growing faster than the increase in decent authors.

20. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Seeing that a recomendation is IP's will probably get me to look at the fic faster than anything else. If there was something special enough about the story to interest IP, chances are it'll be enough to amuse me.

That being said, I don't read fanfiction because it's the Divine Comedy of modern day. I read it for momentary amusement. Ie, don't take things too seriously IP. There is a reason why Bio is the Court Jester.

Not open for further replies.