1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop Advice

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Innomine, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Right, so I'm after a relatively cheap windows laptop. It'll be mainly used for education purposes - primarily statistical data analysis, web browsing and watching Netflix etc. Gaming isn't really a priority but nice if possible.

It must have an SSD, an optical drive is optional, both 13 and 15-inch models would be appreciated, as unsure which I'm after yet. Pretty sure 8gb ram is needed. Build quality - something that will last is the most important thing, though.

The problem is I have no knowledge of windows laptops, so I have no idea what brands I should be looking at. What brands or laptop lineups are generally considered reliable?

Cheers.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I don't know about exact model but, my last two laptops have been lenovos and they have both worked out well for me. I have found 13 inch to be the perfect size if you plan to move it around a lot, 11 to small 15 too big.

I have a Yoga 3 atm which I got refurbished for about £400, its a touchscreen convertible which I find myself using more than I thought I would. Get about 6/7 hours out of if on power saver, 4/5 if not. Got 8 gigs, SSD etc, I've been happy with it so far.

3. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The Lenova Yoga brand seem to be well built machines. They have these fantastic high quality hinges, which solves one of the most common places for a laptop to fail on.

I checked the dell outlets site for your country but unfortunately it seems to be out of stock.

Business class laptops are usually made to a higher standard, although the price reflects that.

People shit all over Alienware for the price but their laptops are built very well, the new generation have desktop grade GPUS also(within 1-5% of the desktop performance).

If you are looking to save money and happen to know somebody in the states, get them to buy you the laptop(or order it to be shipped there). They can take it out of the box and bring it back as their own laptop to avoid paying tax.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Yeah the hinge on the Yoga 3 is pretty awesome, and the whole thing is so light its not a pain when you want to use it as a (big) tablet. Though if you are looking for something cheaper the ThinkPads are pretty good, and the Yoga 2 is supposed to have almost the same specs. I stood on my thinkpad, cracked the screen right across and it still works fine, not as a touchscreen anymore but other than that it was good.

[​IMG]

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cheers, I'm thinking around $700USD price point, $1000ish NZD.

I'll have a look at those two.