1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop/workstation hybrid for artists

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Solfege, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Has anyone got any experience with the Cintiq/like machines? I'm asking on behalf of an animator friend who's kind of budget-strapped but wants a portable workstation/tablet hybrid. She's used a basic wacom before, but she's tired of being tethered and having to reference a separate display.

Her options right now are the Asus Slate and the Cytrix Complex.

She might also consider a refurbished Cintiq Companion.

Of the two cheaper alternative above, seems to me that Slate might have less lag on Maya/Photoshop/whatever relevant software based off processor and graphics card. Otherwise, this is the first time I've heard of these kinds of machines. I'm intrigued, myself --- has a more precise pen/paper-like interface? They're still working on effective touch-integration, apparently.

Does anyone here have hands-on experience to advise in more detail?

2. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Have you considered the Surface 3 (the not-pro)? If I'm not mistaken, the stylus has been praised and it has a proper Windows now rather than the old tablet-software-only-Windows.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Gabe, the artist-half of the Penny Arcade duo has a lot to say about the Surfaces. If you google "penny arcade microsoft surface" you'll find a lot of interesting conversations about the family of devices, both good and bad.

Try this to get an idea of how Gabe talks about the Surfaces: http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/06/16/surface-pro-3-update

I'd like to think that the problems Gabe talks about with that Surface Pro 3 prototype have been fixed since then, but you'll have to dig in to the other posts and find out yourself. He seems to have loved the Surface Pro 2 as well. Again: read those posts yourself, I only checked the one.

I knew that reading Penny Arcade would be good for something one day!

This is also interesting: http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/16/mi...eering-team-to-work-out-surface-pro-3-issues/ - It speculates that drawing lag in the Surface Pro 3 prototypes may be due to using N-Trig tech instead of the Wacom tech that was in the Pro 2. Did that get fixed? Again, again: research.

Apparently there's a Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and a Surface Book now. This is good news for your friend-on-a-budget. New models push the prices of the old ones down. If the Pro 2 meets her needs, then there's never been a better time to buy.

4. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Thanks, guys. She gave the Surface Pros some real hard thought. Went for the Lenovo Yoga in the end.