1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Legend by celticbard - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Stan, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Order Member

Title: Legend
    Author: celticbard
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 38,005
    Updated: 20 Feb 2011
    Published: 16 July 2009
    Library Category: General
    Summary: There is legend. And then there is truth. In 9th century England, three wizards band together, not to found a school, but to concoct one of the greatest lies ever told. And thus began the history of Hogwarts.
    Link: Link

This a fun founders era novella I found. The basic premise is that the history of Hogwarts as we know it is a lie and this is the true history. All four founders have distinct characters. Salazar remains an evil blood purist and Gryffindor a brave and noble man, so rest assured this isn't the "Slytherin was misunderstood" nonsense. The story is fast paced and the chapters go by in a breeze. Some cool battle scenes too.

I really enjoyed the story and can't think of any significant negatives, except may be that the Chamber of Secrets thing remains unexplained in this scenario. It doesn't bother me, but it would have been nice if the author managed to explain that as well.

The author has plenty of other stories centered either around minor characters or OCs. At least another one of them (about the founding of the Salem institute) is library quality, so if you want a break from the usual Harry-centric stories, look into the others as well.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. Alpharius

Alpharius First Year

There are some really good touches of descriptive writing throughout. It reads like a very pared-down amateur version of George R. R. Martin's style. It's a historical/fantasy original fiction disguised as a Harry Potter AU story. Even the author's actor casting for his characters are from the cast of A Game of Thrones.

The ideas themselves - imagining the Founder's era as a historic power struggle between the Celts, Saxons, and Picts, with the addition of magic, and the Founders as quasi-warlords who have their capitols and clans backing them - are cool.

But the author's approach makes the story feel like it's 'written wrong'. He writes as though he's already fully characterized the Founders and done the setup. They already have some kind of relationship and knowledge of each other, except for Rowena.

There aren't any fully-fleshed out scenes. Everything is kind of glossed over. The sense of geography is vague. I have no idea where the starting point for Godric is when he goes to where Helga is. I don't know whether it was from the north, south, east, or west, or how long the march was (since it was on foot). It feels like they are teleporting from one location to the next.

I think it's a 2.5/5, a 3/5 for the purpose of voting. The writing cosmetically makes the story seem a little better than it is.

3. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

The story was interesting enough I suppose, if a bit dry in places. I give it 4/5 because I enjoyed it well enough.

4. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I liked this one. I'm a bit surprised it isn't rated higher.

It's definitely AU, and will require some suspension of disbelief, but it explores the era before the founding of Hogwarts in a way I haven't seen before. It's a brief character study of the founders imagined in a violent, Game of Thrones-style universe. The characters are distinctly drawn, even if they're not what we expect. Helga Hufflepuff is a badass. The story is vague in terms of the origins of magic in Britain, but it isn't really about that. It's more of a Shakespearean tragedy than anything else , and meant to be read slowly.

The writing has some nice rhetorical flourishes, but it occasionally lapses into purple prose of the 'rosy-fingered dawn' variety. This is forgivable because it's a well-told, suspenseful story. I couldn't predict what was going to happen next, and the epilogue that finally makes sense of it all was satisfying. I think it belongs in the library for its uniqueness if nothing else.

4/5

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I can't waste time on this one, it requires me to read it closer than I normally would and the subject matter seems boring as fuck. there are 16 ratings on this and 3 reviews. Gonna leave this one here and hopefully some more people will come along and review it.