1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Write a Fic Together

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by lucis, Oct 24, 2009.

1. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

I've often wanted to write a DF fanfic, and have in fact tried. The problem is, I simply don't have time to write a full fanfic. I'd be happy, however, to contribute an occasional chapter to one. I suspect I'm not the only one.

So, I'd like to propose that we write one together. This has many advantages:
    - We can write a fic.
    - It will have a fast update rate.
    - All the authors can also enjoy the story and the suspense.

Provided enough people (>2?) are interested, I think it could work well.

The general rules would be:
    - Your submission must be between 1 and 4K.
    - It must have decent spelling and grammar.
    - You must build on the plot.
    - And generally act in good faith.

There would be a que of writers, and one can only be added to the que again once they submit their work. If they don't submit within a week, it moves on to the next person. A person can remove themselves or add themselves at any point. If we (popular opinion) believe an individual hasn't complied with the rules, their submission is ignored.

As for a premise, I'm partial to an SK AU, but am open to suggestions.

I'm willing to write the opening, but would prefer if someone else did.

EDIT: I can't seem to fix the title.... I blame being tired when I wrote this for the mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
  2. e1

e1 Third Year

:confused:

Here's an idea -> Let's NOT Write a Fic Toghether

If you want to be taken seriously go ahead and run a spellchecker on the title.

ROFL. Really? And you couldn't think of anything else to put in there?

You'd be better off posting your ideas here. Plan out a general plot for your fanfic and get some feedback on it. If it turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, someone else might pick it up for you. Vague shit like "I'm partial to an SK AU" won't get you anywhere.

3. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Lol I was just about to say that :p

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This could work if we made it into more of a game.

Like a cross between TGYH and a role play.

Set up a writing order, take it in turns to write a scene, under 1000 words, each building upon the last, to make up a Dresden story.

We'd have to make certain rules so that one person didn't ruin it for everyone else (e.g. with crazy ass shit plotlines that derail the story) but it could be fun.

5. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

It would be interesting to do it George R. R. Martin-style : each writer has a chosen point of view, and the story alternates from the pov of a character to another etc...

Dunno if it's doable, or even a good idea, just throwing it out there.

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Like cocks? 8D

7. Sageun

Sageun Fourth Year

Could work, I think, but the scenes each person writes would have to be longer than 1,000 words. Otherwise the story would probably be too disjointed.

Also, it seems like it would be difficult to get a coherent plot together between so many people. Plus the different writing styles could pose a problem as far as continuity is concerned.

8. Skeletaure

High Score:
    That's why I compared it to a role play: it wouldn't have a coherent plot. It would just be a continuous chain reaction of shit happening, lol. By its nature it couldn't be planned.

Oz: Yes, like cocks.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  9. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Different writing styles wouldn't be a problem. If each writer is assigned to a character, it even adds to the characterization.

I do agree that it'd be a pain to develop a real plot with so many different opinions.

10. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

First of all, apologies about the spelling mistake in the title.

Secondly, I have tried writing a fic. You can look in the DWBA, if you want.

Thirdly, the point was that I didn't want the fic to be planned. If it was, then I wouldn't be in suspense. I intentionally put a very vague idea to maintain this. I only put something in the first place because I wanted to make sure it wouldn't get a strong adverse reaction.

Taure has the right idea, although I think slightly longer scenes would work better, as it would help with continuity a bit (as Sageun said).

Edit: Noticed that I didn't respond the `we can write a fic' jab. I put that because it is one of the prime advantages. I (and the other people I mentioned at the beginning) don't have the time/focus to write a fic, but through a method like this could.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    The problem with longer scenes is that it would become too fic like, and too much like a chore. You wouldn't be able to quickly bang out a post. It would be a matter of "God, I've got to write a scene for the Dresden co-op."

I like the GRRM-like idea, but we'd have to make sure people didn't all uber-up their own characters.

12. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Hm... I hadn't really thought about the chore point... Writing a bit over 1K (the lower range of my initial suggestion) doesn't seem to bad to me, as long as it isn't frequent. Actually, the frequency may be the key thing: the more people we have, the longer each section can be because it will be your turn less frequently.

Perhaps just have a lower minimum. As things get more interesting, people will naturally be inclined to write longer scenes...

Edit: As for GRRM, I am also somewhat concerned about people, as Taure put it, uber-up their characters. However, this could be alleviated if people were working from already defined characters (Harry, Micheal, Molly, etc). Maybe a periodic character swap would help, as well? Or maybe just stick to single POV...

13. Sageun

Sageun Fourth Year

Ah, okay. I misunderstood then, I think. What you're talking about does seem like more fun though.

I personally think lower word counts per scene would be better if it's a role-playing style. It would provide more opportunities for people to react to each other's character. Plus, I at least can easily write 800 words in one go at the end of a day without it feeling like a chore, whereas anything above 1,000 words starts to feel like an assigned task.

14. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

This was tried before with HP. It didn't work then, and there are a hell of a lot more HP authors than there are for Dresden.

15. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I bet it could work. Most Dresden fics are produced by DLP members. It'd be easy enough to organize.

16. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Another thought: how about not having assigned characters, but just a rule that there can't be two consecutive pieces from the same POV? It will make it seem smoother, while not creating a motivation for ``ubering up'' a character.

In any case, there's a few unresolved questions:
    - Who's interested?
    - One POV, assigned POV, multi POV?
    - Premise?
    - Who wants to start?

17. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I like this idea. Someone should do it. I'd volunteer, but I am too busy.

18. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Thanks, N!

To clarify: I'm happy to start this off (and later contribute), I just don't want people irritated if I do so (in their opinion) poorly. In fact, if people want me to I can probably get something up tomorrow...

19. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm willing to contribute, but I reserve the right to ignore anything extra failish that comes before me.

20. J22

J22 Seventh Year

I'm willing to participate if this ever gets off the ground. Never really written anything ficwise before so this could be good practice.