1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Letters by TheEndless7 - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Spanks, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Title: Letters
    Author: TheEndless7
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry/Fleur
    Summary: Students are required to write to a pen pal in the spirit of 'International Cooperation.' New friendships and a new romance arise going into the fourth year at Hogwarts.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6535391/1/Letters

I did a search and didn't find this posted. If it was . . . oops.

I get the feeling that most of you've read that summary and are thinking "Christ, what a fucking cliché and boring idea." Well, I'll just tell you to give it a try. While they have the pen pal system it only initially lasts for about 3 chapters before Harry goes back to Hogwarts.

There are some times early in the first few chapters that might make you want to close the story out, but they really become nothing major.

As for the story itself I enjoyed it because it isn't your typical 4th year fic. There are some shades of JBern with the author mixing up the Triwizard tournament with other school competitions, but Harry isn't really involved in them except for
    quidditch
    . I thought the characterizations were decent, and the slow build up to a Harry/Fleur have kept me hooked.

In a nutshell I'd say it's better than about 90% of the Harry/Fleur fics around.

4/5

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I'm about 90% sure this was posted in Almost Recommended. Didn't get many good reviews there, either. I was one of those who hit the x button within the first few chapters, so I'll refrain from voting.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

4. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

I was the one who posted it in the Almost Recommended thread, back when only the first chapter was out and when it still had chances of being a decent HP fanfic.

That chance went out of the window after the author posted the next couple of chapters.

I wouldn't call it terrible, not by any margin. But its far from good either. I think personally this resides just about at the limits of being an almost recommended story. Okay -ish, if you are very much bored and don't have anything to read.

While there were plenty of points about the writing and the story in general that I did not like, one that I thought ruined it completely, was Harry's characteristation, or its lack thereof. He doesn't feel like a real character, nowhere close to it. Just as if the author is making him behave the way he wants to without developing Harry as a protagonist.

2/5, for legible writing and grammar but virtually no story to tell.

5. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

Its not good, and its not terrible. If your a sucker for Harry/Fleur its better than 90% of the fics out there....

It has its strengths and weaknesses. Harry's character is a bit on the "flat" side. Nothing really stands out about him in any sense of power, personality, quirks. The dialog can get stale at times. But for the positive notes it doesnt adhere strictly to cannon. Theres slight changes in the tournament that allow Harry other more realistic facets to shine and compete in. There no magical mystical "bonds". Harry has to actively work to make Fleur see him as more than a kid.

In a nuthell, the authors not amazing but he/she is atleast attempting to create a more realistic environment and not taking to many shortcuts in the Harry/Fleur aspect of the story. So if you like the pairing it can easily be a guilty pleasure.

6. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Speaking of the devil, it updated. And it's getting worse and worse.

Like seriously, what the fuck? Like Johnny said, Harry just doesn't have any character in this fic. I'm getting vibes of School Days here, and they are not good.

Is it better than "90% of all Harry/Fleur" out there? Considering that I could probably hold all the good ones in one hand, that isn't hard.

7. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I disagree. This fic is a disappointment. It starts with promise, but rarely (if ever) delivers. The letters were poorly written (Harry revealed way too much, way too quick). Dialogue is often terrible (though some of it is decent). Harry's a boring character.

But what bugs me the most is where what chances the author takes are overshadowed by the ones the author did not take. The author adds aspects to the tournament (such as the aforementioned Quidditch, as well as Dueling and academic competitions), however leaves the main tournament the same. Harry spends his year with new people, including some OCs, yet events largely transpire in a similar manner. We simply take a different route to the same place.

Not so much a criticism as something rather random: the author loves Formula 1 racing and has integrated three companies into the Wizarding world, providing brooms for the Quidditch tournament. I can't say I've ever seen that...

I'd rate it a 2/5. It's not the worst thing. But it's not enjoyable.

That anime depressed the crap out of me. While I don't feel the same vibe, I'd welcome that here. That would be taking a chance and a half.

Edit: I'm reading the latest chapter. What the hell is the point of the Sirius/Weasley twins storyline? The twins aren't getting anything out of it, and Sirius isn't providing anything useful in return. It's achieving nothing. Ugh.

Also, seems like this Harry spends most of his time with Ron patronising him. Lovely.

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If this did turn out to have a Bad End, it would go on my favorites.

As is, it's not that great.

9. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

The story isn't a complete trainwreck, but it isn't good either, and that's only because nothing ever happens; the characters are bad, and while I like that Fleur isn't simply throwing herself at Harry, I hate her rationale. It's only an age thing with her, nothing else (and that disappears in the newest chapter).
    The only thing I've enjoyed about this story is Daphne. She's a normal teenage girl with a crush; not an overbearing crush like some authors do with characters, but an average teenage crush.

10. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Jesus fucking Christ. Ron is so fucking unimportant to Harry that, quote, "Ron talked about it for a few more minutes, but Harry didn't find the conversation overly appealing." WTF?

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

OP: Tags. I see none.

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Sorry about that. This is the first thread I made in about 2 years (not counting that Naruto fic I posted in wba). I was never clear on how to do tags, but I think I figured it out. Is it good now?

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This is a terrible fucking story. I tried to read it earlier this week, and couldn't get past chapter 5 because it failed in every category. Fleurs' Hogwart's oc friend is the most tilting thing ever. The plot idea is alright, but the execution is piss poor.

1/5

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

So I tried actually reading this.

I made it until the fourth paragraph where author-insert!Harry declares that Hermione was right and Harry is wrong.

Of course, Hermione was not really the type to gloat about that. [Yes, she is. Read the damn books.] Harry made a mental note to put a little more faith in her judgment. [Why the fuck would he do that?] She was only looking out for his best interest. [And since when does that excuse anything?] Really, the more he thought about it, he couldn't believe he was ready to jump onto a broomstick from an unknown sender without a second thought? [... yes, because that is exactly what he did, and it's entirely sensible to be more paranoid than Moody- oh. NOT.] Had his first year taught him nothing at all? [What, exactly, would his first year have taught him that would matter here?] And Ron was upset that the broom was scanned by the professors? [No, that it might be destroyed, you dipshit, AND THAT HERMIONE SIMPLY WENT TO MCGONAGALL. Stop missing the fucking point.] He was slightly concerned that his best friend seemed to have little care for his personal welfare. [I ... don't even. Yes, that is the obvious conclusion. Everything makes sense now! It's .... argh.]​

ARGH.

Reading this paragraph is for me the equivalent of what a cat feels if you pet her from the tail up. Against the fur. It's horrible. It's the exact opposite of everything I think. There are a few things that kill a fic instantly for me, and that's one of them. And I didn't even get to the first letter -- does it get better than this?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  15. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

No.

/filler

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Don't worry, there's a pseudo petunia!redemption, an OC female ravenclaw prefect who just happens to be best friends with Fleur, and Harry just happens to want to learn french, and Hermione conveniently has a bunch of books to lend him. Harry rants about his complete life to someone who he's never met in a letter. Harry has 'thoughts' about every single action every character says/does, and conveniently sets up an obvious future plot line. Oh, and Sirius may or may not be conveniently in France in the same town as Fleur and the OC. Thats the first 3 chapters pretty much, not a single redeeming paragraph.

Not even good enough for the recycling bin IMO.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  17. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

I'll simply be glad if they no longer try to merge Formula 1 and Brooms. Never sully the name of Senna. Never. It will get you butthurt by angry motorsport fans like myself.

I stopped reading this after 5 chapter, and after scanning through the subsequent updates I can safely say that it has done the opposite of improve. It's truly bad, now.

1/5

18. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

How does one "hold" a piece of fiction published on the internet? Not sure whether to facepalm or be confused over this.

Oh, as for the recommended story, mediocre tripe that gets worse as it goes on. Author's own summary condemns it sufficiently. 1/5

19. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

:facepalm

/10char

20. Al'Akir

Al'Akir Third Year

Have just read it. This story is terrible. Most Harry/Fleur are, but this one... Well, read last chapter posted today and you'll see what shit this story became.

1/5 without a question.