1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Like a Phoenix by chappysmom - K - HP/Sherlock crossover

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Sorrows, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Title: Like a Pheonix
    Author: chappysmom
    Rating: K
    Genre: Crossover: Harry Potter/Sherlock
    Library Category: The Alternatives
    Pairings: Book Pairings, not a focus
    Summary: "So, why are we going to … Little Whinging? How is there even a town named Little Whinging? Is it next to Greater Whinging? Part of Blubbering County? Bisected by the Distraught River, perhaps? Ridiculous." John sighed. "Because Lestrade asked us. He said this was right up your alley—a classic locked room mystery, clearly a murder. Victim's name is Vernon Dursley." (12 chapters)

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9681294/1/Like-a-Phoenix

Nice little story I found, well written and and nicely characterised with only a slightly wobbly premise. I don't think it's been posted before. Sherlocks introduction to the magical world (he's not a wizard) is neatly handled and the worlds are well balanced without too much tiresome in-story muggle vs magic debate. Not to say it doesn't have it's faults but it's an enjoyable little murder mystery. And it's complete, which is nice.

Think my favorite part was Mycroft trying the floo.

Edit: would a kind soul please edit the small fuck up with the title?

Edit II: Lady Sorrows: Your humble Minion edited the huge fuck up with the title.

Edit III: The Lady Sorrows thanks you most kindly for your services on the medium sized fuck up with the title

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

How old is HP in this story? Still a child, or Hogwarts age? I haven't come across a good Sherlock cross yet irc, most of them have Harry as abused and Sherlock takes over as the father figure. Most of those include Watson slash.

And a Sherlock crossover that actually has a murder mystery/investigation? Hax.

Will read and review.

3. KGB

KGB Headmaster

The HP and Sherlock timelines are preserved. Thus Harry is 30 or so. Using Canon with the 19 years later.

One thing that is bugging me about this story:
    John is/was a Wizard and was in Harry's dorm. And he has lost his magic.

EDIT:

So I finished it.

There should be some warnings attached to this fic

1. It's John centric.

If you don't like/don't care about Watson your not going to like this fic.

2. Muggles kinda, sorta, just about may do some things better than wizards.

This isn't stressed and wizards aren't portrayed as usless and backwards. I felt is should be mentioned anyways, because some people hate the very notion.

3. It's very short and the central mystery get's resolved in a rather straightforward way.

If you wasn't some kind of a grand mystery this isn't for you. This fic felt more like a standard episode of Sherlock. As in Holmes get's a hold of the central piece of evidence and that sets forward a speedy and decisive conclusion. This was almost refreshing for me as I have been reading almost nothing but DLP fics lately. A story where shit gets resolved is almost novel. There is also a very clear opening for a squeal which gives me hope.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Reading the summary instantly made me hope for Harry being the antagonist going on a little murder-spree, dealing with some unfinished business from his muggle life. Family, school-mates, neighbours, teachers. Sherlock takes the case.

Dare I hope?

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I should have mentioned the story revolved more around John than Sherlock, I don't think Sherlock could discover the magical word with having a bit of a muggle/magic debate, but it's lightly done and not dwelled upon. Honestly it's not a stunning story, but it's an enjoyable read in a genre that is normally full of slash, angst and weird Sherlock raising Harry stories.

6. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

The Sherlock pov's were my favorite part. While John is angtsy (is there a fic where John doesn't mope at some point?), he gets better. I enjoyed the mystery even though it was short and largely off-screen.

The story made me want to read more about the past or the future in this AU crossover. Good, short read.

7. LilC16

LilC16 Second Year

I wouldn't rate this above average. The dialogue between characters is stale and not really in character, but I haven't seen Sherlock, so they might be in character. The plot is not really all that interesting.

3/5

8. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

I liked this a quite a bit.

I could live without all the angst from John, but that's par for the course in fics like this.

Harry, at this age, was exactly how I pictured him in my head.

3.5/5

9. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

It was decent, but there was no mystery. And the main character was Watson and not Sherlock, which made the whole thing a bit boring.

2/5 from me.

10. Jazerus

Jazerus First Year

It could use more material. This feels like the setup to a much longer story.

On its own merits it's a 3/5.