1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Limitless (TV series)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A TV sequel to the movie and unlike most production like that it has Senator Eddie Morra played by Bradley Cooper as a series recurring character.

It's a procedural with all that it involves, but four episodes in I can say that it's a well done procedural.

The main character, Brian Finch, is a likable loser who finally gets a breakthrough in life, but for a higher cost that he expected. But while on his own, he's just one of many eccentric and childish geniuses helping law enforcement in TV series right now, what makes him work in my opinion is how he contrasts with Morra. Both have he same opportunities, but use them completely different ways. Where Morra is selfish and always focused on improving his own situation, Finch feels a need to use his abilities to help others. Though to fully get that perspective, it's necessary to watch the movie first.

There is not much to say about other characters right now, though Mike and Ike's interactions with Finch are amusing.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Down-on-his-luck secretly nerd genius protag, show competently executed, a recurring kind-of villain with questionable motives... sounds like half of all crime dramas. I guess I'll check out an episode or two and come back with a more grounded opinion.

3. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This show has very likable characters so far. Some hiccups with how Debra(I still use her name from Dexter) just recognizes the slight glimmer in his eyes from the drug and such but it's pretty ignorable.

Besides I've always liked the special snowflake helps cops solve crime genre, so it's another win in my books.

I'm digging this show.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I haven't watched it, but I want to and I'm not sure if I should. How often does Morra appear? How central is he, what role does he play?

5. Celestin

For now he only appeared in the pilot, but Bradley Cooper is one of the producers and said he will appear as often as his schedule lets him. His presence is constant though because as a Senator and a possible President, he's often mentioned and there are people working for him that regularly interact with Brian. His motives are uncertain though. For now he's an antagonist forcing Brian to work for him and in return he gives him a medicine that allows to take NZT without the side effects.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched half of the first episode. Had to stop mid way and never picked it back up.

It wasn't bad from what I saw, but it was nothing new.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So Morra is an antagonist? How so? Has be done anything legitimately dodgy? Beyond forcing the guy to work for him.

I might just check this show out.

8. Celestin

One of his people told Brian to steal what top secret information about NZT has FBI. If he refused they would let him die from NZT side effects and it was suggested that his father's sudden sickness, though not unexpected since he just had an operation, was their doing too. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they just bluffed about their part in it to put more pressure on Brian. Especially, if the twist will be that Morra is not a villain of the series. Right now it could be either way.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    Alright, I watched the first episode. As pilots go, it's rather entertaining,
    though Brian openly talking about NZT in the bank and the shining eyes thing were fucking stupid.

NZT is a gimmick, but as far as gimmicks go, it's one of the coolest I've seen in any show. My problem is, why does this have to be another crime procedural? There are tons of those and legal dramas. Give me a crime/thriller in the world of Wall Street banking, goddamnit. Instead, it's going to be more DNA, prints, ballistics, forensics, eye witnesses, crime scenes and law enforcement.

I loved the film. I'm not terribly fired up about the show. For now, it's going on the backburner. If I hear down the line that it's not just another "genius person solves crimes", maybe I'll come back to it. For now, I'll stick to The Good Wife.

10. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I'm a sucker for variations on Sherlock Holmes, so I was all over this at the beginning.

But it sort of ruined itself for me by focusing on the gimmick too much. It's a damn magic pill they should have hand waved it at the start and be done with it. Focusing this much on it just makes the viewer focus on all the problems it brings up.

Also the cases so far have been boring, these type of shows live and die on interesting cases where the protagonist gets to dazzle us with his skills. This hasn't happened so far. The one interesting case they had, the virus targeting specific genetic markers, could have been solved by any damn cop just looking over the surveillance tapes no super intellect needed.

I'm probably going to keep watching this, but than again I am a sucker for these type of shows.

11. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Sort of OT, but may I suggest the super underrated Psych? Maybe you already know it, but it's a weird variation of what you're a sucker for.

Anyway, I'll probably take a look at Limitless' pilot as well. The movie was decent.

12. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Loved the movie, though it had its moments of stupidity, so I'm going to check this out.

13. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I watched that years ago. It was OK, but the comedy sort of never clicked with me. Didn't know it was even still on. Might give it another shot.

14. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

The biggest long term problem I see is that the cases are going to have to be very complex in order for us to believe that someone on NZT would require 40 minutes of screen time to solve it.

So far the cases have been involving a lot of misdirects and distractions in order to delay the crime solving. I'm worried that eventually they'll get lazy and just make Brian on NZT make more mistakes than he should.

Also I don't like the idea of Brian talking to himself while on the drug. It makes the personal problem solving process seem longer then it is. Brian should come to these conclusions in a fraction of a second while on this drug, he shouldn't need a five minute monologue with himself.

Edit: Psych isn't still on. It had it's series finale a couple years ago. It was still a favorite of mine when the finale happened. I feel like Psych is a love it or hate it kind of show. I was the only one in my family that found it hilarious. The rest found it unfunny.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Problem with shows like this is that they are, almost by default, predictable.

Waiting on the episode where FBI turns against Brian because he's gone rogue but turns out he was right all along. Never mind the laws he'll break along the way.

Waiting for the episode where Brian isn't on NZT and saves the day anyway, despite utter lack of training.

Waiting on the episode where he doesn't get his shot of medicine but takes NZT anyway because it's the only way to save FBI sidekick.

Waiting for the episode where someone in the FBI is a mole for the antagonist.

Waiting for the episide where Brian loses faith but, through some soul searching and saving a kid, finds it again along with a clue to solve the major season puzzle.

That said, I am enjoying the show. Of the new procedural dramas that I watch at 2am alone with scotch, Limitless is my favourite. Quantico and that tattoo chick one ain't got nothing on it.

16. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

Looks like Deb and Quinn got back together.

17. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Really dunno how people could get into that show. The commercials made it sound like it was retarded, just like Chrisley Knows Best & and that equally garbage show Donny. God those 2 seem like they created those shows for morons with no brain.

Anyway...whats NZT? I tried watching the movie, but it just bored the shit out of me half way into it and stopped watching it.

18. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

NZT is a drug that enhances your brain. A lot. It has side effects, obviously, but the main char has a way of not suffering from them.

19. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Sorry, what I meant to ask was what the acronym is.

20. ScottPress

High Score:
    We don't know. Full name is NZT-48. Could just be a number, like with celestial objects.