1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Long time FF user here...

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Deplore, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

So.

Heard of this site couple years ago. I never really had any inclination to visit it until recently, when I got fed up weeding out the pile of shits that for that gem of a story that stands out (ala "The Lie I've Lived" by jbern).

Yes, the name is tacky. I was an idiot when I came up with the name (I was 11!) and don't feel like coming up with another one. Plus I have no intention of linking my commonly used forum alias (and more sensible) to this one, so... Plus, can you imagine how embarrassing it would be if people googled my other alias and they find this?

Started reading FF in '01, in DBZ section. Then the HP books came out. Then once I realized how bad the story was (especially at 4th book and onward), I turned to FF.

I've written some stories when I joined FF. Looking over my stories now, I cringe in horror. I'm going to make backups and delete my stories -- no point in adding to the pile of shit that passes for FF nowadays. I'm in my early 20's now, and hopefully my written skills have gotten better since then.

I really, really dislike cliché stories that invariably pop up everywhere in FF -- most of you guys are familiar with it, superpower!Harry, timetravel!Harry, merlin!Harry and the likes. Nowadays it's next to impossible to find a half-decent realistic!Harry story who isn't an idiot and it becomes next to impossible to find a story where the author makes a decent effort explain the transition from canon!Harry to realistic!Harry without using cliché plots.

There are a couple keywords that I use to gauge the story and the direction of the plot. If I see the word "manipulative" and "bashing" anywhere even close to each other, I immediately close the story. Just from these two words, it's obvious where the story will go. (Although there was this truly fantastic story about a realistic manipulative!Dumbledore where he was a evil mastermind, turned the Hogwarts wards into a vast information network and had 13 horcruxes... Harry, Luna and Hermione were turned into fae creatures. I can't find that story.)

Anyway, I hope to be able to use the resources offered by DLP in order to find excellent stories -- Harry/Luna and Harry/Fleur are my favorites -- and read 'em and leave reviews.

tl;dr -- early 20's, M, works in IT, was (is?) a horrible author, dislikes cliché stories, hopes to find more good stories.

2. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

My 'fresh dog-meat' sensor is going haywire.

4. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Here, let me fix that for you. Your awful syntax put a frown on my face instantly.

I guess I shouldn't judge you just on that, but it doesn't make me feel welcoming.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Death Eater DLP Supporter

To be fair, he did say he was an awful author. Though his 'written skill have gotten better."

What can I say? You've got the right attitude, and I can understand what you write. Don't be an asshole to anyone with a higher post count than you, and should do just fine.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Postcount != importance. Republic21 has a fair few posts and that guy's a plain fuckhead.

7. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

Meh, I have a tendency to write what I would normally say. Then again, english isn't my first language, or even my second language, so we'll see.

Thanks for the correction.

Perfect! Thanks, been wanting to reread that for a while. Do you, by any chance, know of a HP/DG story where Daphne was almost austic, and required a lot of help to pass her classes so her dad wouldn't sell her to a brothel? I've been trying to find that one too.

EDIT: found the story. Ice Princess -- Quite a nice story.

Thanks, I suppose. To be fair, in my experience, post count means nothing, only the content of the post and the manner it was delivered. If it's intelligent or meant to be helpful or supportive, then I'll take the post in that spirit.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  8. Sisgood

Sisgood Squib

Quite true about the content v.s. post count thing. Also let me be the first to congratulate you on your temporary free pass as English is not your first language. Most people will just stick to being corrective in a supportive way once they learn that little fact.

Sadly... most people that grew up speaking English do so much less eloquently than yourself and do not have that excuse.

Welcome!

9. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler Prestige

High Score:

This is true. However, while not a perfect indicator, post count does have some relevance, as it means that the poster has in some way or another stuck around for long enough to rack 'em up. I think the key is to obviously observe the relevance and cogency of the person's post, but also note that the longer someone has been around a place, the more likely they are to emulate or reflect the values and thoughts of the community at large.

(Again, not a hard and fast rule).

Anyways, welcome OP!

10. eldritcher

eldritcher First Year

(Although there was this truly fantastic story about a realistic manipulative!Dumbledore where he was a evil mastermind, turned the Hogwarts wards into a vast information network and had 13 horcruxes... Harry, Luna and Hermione were turned into fae creatures. I can't find that story.)

That's most intriguing!

Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy DLP. I am new myself and I quite like what I have found so far.

I really, really dislike cliché stories that invariably pop up everywhere in FF

I am new to the fandom arena and I guess that makes everything new and shiny...

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That quote you posted is quite contradictory to your general likes. If you're as new to the fanfiction world as you say you are, you wouldn't have had enough time to rack up enough hatred for the most common clichés there are. I mean, sure, they're not hard to miss...

Also, what happened to noobs not welcoming other noobs unless they had something really, really relevant to say, or atleast a 100 post count?

At the OP. That story sounds like that shit pile written by Perfect Lionheart.

12. eldritcher

eldritcher First Year

Isn't that what I tried to express? Since I don't have much idea about what is considered cliched, I find most fic ideas shiny. The description the OP gave was something I found intriguing/catchy.

I hadn't known about that. I am sorry. I'll read the sticky posts at the head and see what else I have missed about the Introductions. I read them before I made my intro post and I don't remember seeing the rule. Probably, I missed it.

13. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

There is no such 'rule'. It is, however, most of the time considered good form. It doesn't make much sense to welcome somebody into a place when he arrived at said place eight days earlier than you did, does it?

OP: Welcome. Your taste in fanfiction leaves me just a teensy little bit wary, though.

14. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

lol, I know. Last time I initiated a cleanup was six years ago. It's due for another round of cleanup.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I'll switch to professional lurker mode now... :D