1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for 2 specific Naruto fanfics and a rec

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by eden, Sep 20, 2015.

1. eden

eden First Year

Hello,

I'm looking for a few Naruto fanfics that I haven't been able to find myself for months now and it's getting annoying. Help, please?

1) This could be a badfic, but I'd like to think and hope it was multi-chapter crackfic: When Kakashi tells the conditions of the bell test, Naruto concludes that Kakashi is like Mizuki and everyone else and specifically invented the one of you fails rule with the intention to fail Naruto. Something that Kakashi says when Naruto fights him inadvertently cements this for Naruto, who then says, "screw it" and leaves the training ground to complain to the Hokage.

2) There was a fanfic where Naruto used the Kagebunshin to henge them into what he thought his family might look like and pretended they were his family. I think Kakashi or someone else finds that out at one point? No clue.

3) Is there any fanfic, any at all, that has Naruto disliking Gai and Lee? Because Naruto supposedly failed the genin exam three times, which means he took the second exam at the same time as Neji, Lee, and Tenten as well. Gai pulled strings to let Lee graduate, while Naruto failed. In canon, Naruto doesn't seem to know them, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by Lee. That makes no sense to me, even Naruto the forgiving Ninja Jesus should hate Gai and Lee for that, right? So, any fanfics that include this into the plot? :confused:

Thank you! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Regarding 3: If I remember right, People Lie by Nugar featured a Naruto with a rather antagonistic view toward Lee.

3. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

You do. People Lie is probably the only fic where Naruto genuinely dislikes Lee and goes out of his way to be a dick to him. Aside from all the fics where he's a dick to most people anyway.

Naruto's always been in the same year as the other Rookies from what we've seen (though not always in the same class) so he wouldn't have been with Lee at any point and wouldn't know him.

Gai pulling strings is fanon. Lee graduated because he made up for his lack of talent for ninjutsu and genjutsu with taijutsu and possibly other areas while Naruto just sucked in general while not even being as untalented. It may not have exactly been fair but there was a precedent with Gai, and Lee likely showed a level of hard work and dedication that Naruto probably never did in school. And that was something Naruto recognised shortly after they first met and was only reinforced during the course of the exams.

4. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

If I remember right, didn't Lee suck at Taijutsu as well, but was a hardworker and thus Gai took him on as his student?

Eyeup, found it, chapter 84, he had subpar Taijutsu while in the academy.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

He sucked at all three initially, yeah. Then he "practiced those below average taijutsu like crazy" and became a genin.

6. eden

eden First Year

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys. :)

I remember that. But wasn't that less dislike and more that he didn't respect Lee because he didn't like Lee's "hard work beats genius" schtick, since it didn't consider that being a genius didn't preclude hard work or make one automatically lazy?

And yeah. There are those as well, but they don't count. Stupid self-inserts posing as Naruto. :mad: Good thing those are often easily recognizable by way of summary and writer's name and so avoidable. (But they do serve well if you want to break someone's brain through the sheer stupidity contained in them. :D)

Okay, that certainly explains how they didn't recognize each other at the exams.

Thanks for the correction. Looks like there are still a few fanon notions I've ascribed to canon.

In short, there are few fics where where Naruto and Lee don't have a genial relationship, and if there is such a fic, it's likely to be a badfic? Pity. It could have been interesting.

What about the other two fics I'd been searching for, the bell test SNAFU and kage bunshin family? Does any of that ring a bell?

(I'm sorry for the late reply. Didn't have the opportunity before now.)

7. John1057

John1057 Squib

The Bell test snafu is in "Memories of Others". It's a recent fic so that author may have copped it from some other one. But Naruto definitely says screw you to Kakashi, because he got a field promotion he couldn't be dismissed back to the academy.

8. eden

eden First Year

Thank you, John! :) I'll have to check it out. It's definitely not the one I'm looking for if it's recent, because that one is an older one in comparison. But it's one of those plot points that I love, so any fic that contains a mention of it is worth checking out to me, even if I myself am bad at finding them.

9. leingood

leingood Muggle

I think it's called Soul of the Seal: The Ninja Adventures

10. eden

eden First Year

Oh god, it actually was Soul of the Seal. Thank you for your help, leingood! :D

No wonder I couldn't find it no matter what I did. Despite my suspicion that it might be either a crackfic or badfic, I wasn't truly expecting it to be that much of a badfic. Apparently I remembered it as much better than it actually was. :oops: