1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Fanfic

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Ifraheem_Abrar, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ifraheem_Abrar

Ifraheem_Abrar Muggle

High Score:
    TL,DR:
    Dumbledore, exploring magic, a good relationship with Harry, duels, and some politics, while making Voldemort still a problem?
    (thx to BTT)

Whatsup all,DLP, this is my first post in this section, so please excuse me if I have broken any rules or done something wrong.
    If I have, don't hesitate to point it out so I'm aware of it and won't do it again. I'm looking for a fic that follows the following points.
    If such a fic cannot be found then this may be interpreted as a Challenge instead.
    I'm looking for a fic that features a well characterised Dumbledore which shows his wisdom and magical prowess, as the Master of the Elder Wand and defeater of the Dark Lord Grindelwald, whilst simultaneously exploring and developing a magical system much like the ones found in The Denarion Trilogy, Prince of the Dark Kingdom, In Light of Silver Memories, What You Leave Behind amongst all other amazing fics out there, credits to them.
    In regards to Harry himself, what'd I like is a Harry that develops and progresses in knowledge and power - I.e a Harry that has a great relationship overall with Dumbledore (Dumbledore helping Harry achieve the understanding the mysteries of magic that he himself possesses and what makes him such a strong character. I love duels so they are a must, duels must be realistic and employ as many fields of magic as they can, more fields may be made up as long as they are somewhat sensible (this is magic after all :) ) and I don't even mind if fields like Potions and Herbology or even Divination ( precognition?) are used.

While a Independent Harry is preferred, I don't mind a romantic aspect to the story if it is actually necessary (it makes Harry stronger?) and developed (on that note : no spontaneous soul bonds, no Veela bonds unless it genuinely makes sense). As a "side request", it'd be amazing if there was a political aspect to the story (Dumbledore and Harry team up to take on the corrupt Ministry and so by extension Lucius Malfoy who is considered to be a master of politics perhaps).

Voldemort, the worst Dark Lord seen in centuries, and his Death Eaters must be deserving of such names, for example they could be downright malicious and insidious wielding dark, horrific magic that's the stuff of nightmares.

I hate stories where Harry gains a spontaneous power boost and bosses everyone around or where Voldemort and Co are trapped or killed by some stupid trap. Actually, wait, this is supposed to be an intelligent post right? Then scratch what I've just said because everyone replies intelligently according to that Sticky. :) Beyond what I've said, the story can contain whatever you want(depending on if the reply is replying to the Looking for a fic or if this is taken as a Challenge).

I genuinely appreciate the help and time taken to read this.
    Thanks

---------- Post automerged at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Just to point out I have read Magicks of the Arcane , how would you tag a story and and the author?
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2017
  2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So basically to summarize, what you want is:
    Dumbledore, exploring magic, a good relationship with Harry, duels, and some politics, while making Voldemort still a problem?

Have you read By the Divining Light and Conlaodh's Song by enembee? Check out his other stories while you're at it, too - Valbone is my favorite of what he's written, though it's been a while since he's updated its sequel over in WbA.

EDIT: There's also The Prisoner's Cipher by Ecthelion3. It's fantastic, and features a very well characterized Dumbledore and good fight scenes, though I remember it lacking a bit in politics. Definitely worth checking out, though.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. Ifraheem_Abrar

Ifraheem_Abrar Muggle

High Score:
    Yeah, I have ages ago although that's a good point, I'm gonna revisit them now i have better understanding of stuff. Thanks :)

4. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

The One he Feared by Taure, Harry gets AD memories done right, amazing duelling scenes, great worldbuilding, good dialougue and solid characterization allaround

5. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Hey, welcome to DLP. My only suggestion next time when making a thread would be to pick a title that better represents what you're asking for. Calling it "first post", while accurate, doesnt really tell any other member what this thread is going to be about at a first glance.

But anyway, I'd suggest Dagger and Rose. It's a bit older, so I couldnt tell you exacty how it holds up. I have fond memories of it, and Im gonna reread it now just because this thread's reminded me of it. It's HP/FD, and it plays a pretty central point to the plot- but isn't the most important thing in the story.

I dont know if it fits exactly in your parameters, but Hallowed is a great fic I cant speak highly enough about. You'll find some more good stuff just scrolling through our group on ffn I think, or even just looking through the review board.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Two things, OP. Your thread title is bad and your OP is a repost from Reddit, which I find amusing for no real reason (snort).

Beyond that, I wanted to recommend Hallowed by Shinysavage, but I see that my foreposter already did that. In the interest of not shitposting, I'll point you towards Renegade Cause by Silens Cursor. It's sorta lacking in the mentor Dumbledore department, but what there is of it is good and it has you covered for duels. It's a long fic (500k words), but the Dumbledore vs Voldemort duel near the end is fantastic stuff, definitely a worthy pay-off.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  7. Ifraheem_Abrar

Ifraheem_Abrar Muggle

High Score:
    Yes, thanks you for your help although it must be noted that I am a noobie at this so do excuse me and I've used the repost since I felt it still covered a lot of the points I was looking for.