1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for something similar to hp and the boy who lived

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Flaminalpaca, May 22, 2016.

1. Flaminalpaca

Flaminalpaca Disappeared

High Score:
    Basically what the title says. I would prefer alternate school but it's fine otherwise.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

You need to be more specific about what you're looking for in a story. For me, I'd class the primary two divergences for HPBWL to be (1) Harry has a twin, and (2) Harry goes to a different school.

Since you say #2 is preferred but not required, that makes me think you're just looking for Twin-Who-Lived fics... which are common, and many of them don't have tons in common with HPBWL. It's also a 7-year fic, starting in Harry's first year... which may or may not matter to you.

But all that said, I honestly haven't read any other fics that I'd say were 'like' that one.

HPBWL - A smart, driven Harry with something to prove goes to a new school with well rounded OCs while canon plays out in the background with his twin at the helm.

There are other stories with smart, driven Harrys. There are other stories where he goes to another school. There are other stories where OCs replace canon characters. There are other stories where Harry's twin is the chosen one.

But I don't know of any other stories that are 3/5 or better that manages to get that same 'feel' that this one does.

Sorry. Try this? It's great for finding fics. Or maybe someone else knows of a solid rec.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You give him too much credit, Ched. This is another shitposter steamrolling his way to five posts and then stopping.

Edit: It turns out that I gave him the full spiel about not shitposting less than six hours ago in response to his worrisome Sorting Hat application. He's got no excuse.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Eh, this is one of those threads where I post because I want to remember to watch it... on the off-chance that somewhere out there is a kickass story that I haven't read yet, just waiting for someone to link me to it.

But yeah, not a very good post all around.

5. yak

Sorry, Ched. Thread salvage time. I'd say that Prince of the Dark Kingdom has both similar themes and is decent.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/3766574/1/Prince_of_the_Dark_Kingdom
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=7398

There's no twin, and even though Harry still attends Hogwarts, it's much darker since Voldemort has ruled for some years now.

Harry gains power, a few dear friends, a mentor in Voldemort, and esoteric magic. Harry exists in a dangerous world and lifestyle where he might be killed or worse by his magic, gods, werewolves, politics, or vengeful wizards and witches. Harry lives his life dancing on a razor's edge and it's only his friends, Voldemort, and his ties to magic that stop him from slipping, even though they're often the ones who pushed him in the first place.

6. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Excellent story that definitely needs a read. Most likely abandoned however :(

7. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

Have you considered looking in the wba? There's like 10 more chapters of the thing in there. :V

Anyway, to make this post not entirely made up of taunting, have a few WBWL recommendations.

My favourite WBWL fic is Antihyphen, mostly because it makes no pretence of being a WBWL fic. If you want a classic WBWL fic you should read Unsung Hero. Its not good, persay, but it is a classic. If you're just after good stuff then may I recommend Forging the Sword? It is, in my opinion, the best fic in the fandom. If you're after Harry at Durmstrang then Halt did a decent re-write of The Magnate, which is an enjoyable read.

I hope you enjoy at least one or two of those.

8. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

I don't think so. The author has taken really big breaks in the past and still came back to it.

Regarding stories like 'The Boy-Who-Lived', I think What You Leave Behind from Newcomb has the same magic is awesome feeling to it and Harry is a year older, so diferent friends. Definitely worth a read.

9. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    Flaminalpaca.

Like CheddarTrek said before, there are several things one must take into account before asking for a story. (Apologies if I come off as rude)

First of all, would you like just a WBWL story, which is just a twin of Harry, or even two twins for that matter, taking the, ahem, glory and fame for themselves after killing Voldemort.

Now even this category can branch into three, one for the twins not really killing Voldemort, and two, the twins actually killing Voldemort, and then, whether Harry's parents treat him well or not.

Next, another category that HPATBWL incorporates is an alternate school for Harry, which then branches into either existing canon schools being the setting, or another fanon school that the story takes place in.

But from your post I guess you aren't looking for that in particular.

The third main category that HPATBWL incorporates is Dark!Harry. This is basically Harry using dark magic, and this too branches out as to whether Harry joins Voldemort or not.

I am sorry to say that I have not found any decent fic that has all these categories incorporated or not, but I can give some.

If you want twin!Harry stories, I can list down a few.

This here incorporates Dark!Harry with a twin, but don't expect another school though, he goes to Hogwarts.

Bear in mind that the above linked story has- frankly, retarded James and Lily Potter = bad treatment of Harry.

If you're looking for more of that Dark!Harry and twin jazz, this one is unique in the case that no one is the BWL, this one is for you.

If you want alternate schools, then I think this story will be the one for you. Though I personally think that this isn't really the kind of fic that you go 'OMGAMAZINGFUCKDAMN' over, it's... decent except that the portrayal of the french accent is horrendous.

Theres another story in which Harry has a twin, he's dark, and he goes to Durmstrang. Written by fellow DLP member Halt, this is the story which has the most similarities with HPATBWL

PM if you want more.

On a side note, what the fuck is with all these alpacas? We've got Alpacaman, and he's pretty cool, but his avatar alone made me search up on alpacas, their differences with llamas and where they first originated. Wasted 2 hours of my life.

EDIT: How the fuck do you get 'Excrement Extraordinaire' within a day of joining?

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  10. Flaminalpaca

Flaminalpaca Disappeared

High Score:
    Sorry guys for this thread. While I did originally come to this forum to read the work by author I do like the community and I'm pretty new to most forums in general. I do plan to continue posting here after I have achieved the five post thing. Anyway I just wanted to apologize if it seems like I just want to get the five posts in. Yak seems to have it out for me though. Anyway if I came off like I just wanted to get my posts done.
    Edit: I appreciate the suggestions guys a couple of these look pretty good. On a side note I've been doing the alpaca thing for a while and I have this amazing picture of an alpaca wreathed in flames that i use for my steam account. Does it only take one shit post to get excrement extraordinaire or is it based on an average.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  11. yak

That's sadly normal. It's primarily designed for noobs rushing for their five posts. Most offenders receive it within their first few days.

You apologise here, but minutes earlier you left yet another four word shitpost I had to clean up.

This is true. I have it out for all shitposters.

And on that note this thread derail, which was partly my fault, is over. You can PM me if you have something to say.

This thread is for discussion about fanfiction that is similar to HP&tBWL.

12. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

For alternate schools there is always Miranda Flairgod A Second Chance at Life.

3rd story is dead but it died in a spot that just makes you want more. I also checked it recently an it aged pretty well on the account of being an original story.