1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for The best of Final Fantasy stories.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Scott, May 7, 2015.

1. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I'm looking for the best Final Fantasy fanfiction. I don't want to read anything that has slash and the story must center around the main-character of each game (IE; FFVII/Cloud, FFVIII/Squall, you get the picture. Unless it's Auron we're talking about). Novelinations are fine and genre doesn't matter although I'm not looking for comedy.

Sorry if a thread like this exists already, on my iPhone.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Shouldn't this be in the Other Fandoms/Story Search subforum?

3. Scott

Yes. I was looking for it but couldn't find it. My phone sucks. If a mod could move this it would be much appreciated.

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I, too, would like to read some of this fanfiction.

Specifically any good post-FFVII and VIII and X.

Loved those stories.

Never felt brave enough to write one of my own.

5. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

The Gunslinger - FF7 / FFX crossover. The events of FF7 happen in the same world as FFX, occurring ~1000 years before. It's decent and long (though somewhat slow paced iirc), though likely abandoned. 3.5/5

Soldier of Spira - FFX AU. Auron main character. Definitely abandoned. A bit sappy in parts, but incredibly long (600k words+) and the AU setup is great once it gets going. 4.5/5

The Fifth ActThe Fifth Act[/url] FF7 timetravel. I don't really remember much about this but it's on my favorites list so probably decent to good? Also completed.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Evolution by Darkgirl5

This one was pretty good, I think, has been some time since I've read it.

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

FF 9 stories, I'd read. I sorta considered doing a FF 13 done right story once.

9. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

One's that come to mind for me:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2092251/1/Unreachable
    Unreachable, Final Fantasy IX
    His soul was filled with hate, but he was always polite to me.- Alright, but what did exactly happen to Hilda when she was forced to remain in Kuja's custody?

66k words, incomplete, abandoned.

The Past Concluded, Final Fantasy VII
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2984131/1/The-Past-Concluded
    Just months after meteor, Midgar is in crisis. A murderer is loose in the wounded sectors, and Soldiers are plotting revolution. Reeve, the Turks, and a few ex Soldiers are given a chance in the limelight to prove their worth to the new world.
    112k words, incomplete, abandoned.

The Lion of Ivalice, Final Fantasy Tactics
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6312809/1/The-Lion-of-Ivalice
    When the pillars of that life came crashing down, I did not stand and watch them fall. I turned, and walked away. I did not know that I would end up in The Southern Sky.
    192k words, complete.

10. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Hmmm, Talking of Final Fantasy stories, I'm looking for this old Final Fantasy/Harry Potter crossover story, it was last updated late 2006 if I remember right. It centers around Harry being dropped in a composite final fantasy world, where the different worlds from the different games have been merged together because of the Fusion thing Terra from FF9 can do with other planets, and earth is next in line for this to happen. I remember enjoying it back then, but with my luck it has probably not aged well, anyone else knows which story I am talking about?

Sorry to you Scott for Hijacking your thread a little, alas, your search for Final Fantasy stories made me want to read it again.

11. draykfyre

draykfyre Second Year DLP Supporter

I second this one. While it is a bit slow and probably abandoned, and realistically probably not a lot of people's cup of tea, I just love the slow process of
    turning into Cie'th and what it does to everybody.

12. Scott

Thanks for the recs so far and no you didn't thread hijack. Just want to find a story you read once and would like to read again. Nothing wrong with that. I have a couple I'll post for review that I liked. Glad I'm not the only final fantasy fan.

Specially looking forward to reading that soldier of Spira fic. Auron/Rikku is the way to go. Hopefully they aren't ooc though.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  13. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I totally got this one, bud. Defying Fate: Journey Of The Offworlder, last updated in 2007. Fun read back in the day. Fusion-y'ing was done better than most but had a more FF8 slant which was always my favourite, Grindelwald stuff was pretty fun, and I liked the development of the Harry/OC relationship. For those who've never read it and wanna check it out: be warned that it is a very OC-heavy story, but investment does happen, so just roll with it. Decent timesink, if nothing else.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  15. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

I never got the appeal of the Auron/Rikku pairing.

16. Captain Trips

Ah, thank you for that Matt, have been looking for it for some time, but could not remember the name.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FFIX and XII are where it should be at fanfiction imo. By far the most interesting worlds. Esp 9, just cut out all the end game bloat, lol.

I remember starting and scrapping a 9 fic several times where Zidane was very 'Jack Sparrow', looking to get his airship back...

I may have a 'thing' for sky pirates, lol

18. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

19. Captain Trips

Alas, most fanfiction when it comes to FF9 are badly writen self inserts, and the less said about the state of FF12 fanfiction the better.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  20. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

They still are better than anything the FF8 fandom seems to be able to write. I've not encountered even one decent FF8 fanfic. Not a single one. Though it might probably be a problem that I don't like Rinoa all too much.