1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lucifer

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Peter North, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer_(TV_series)

I just watched the first episode and thought it was pretty good. Of course the next few episodes will tell us whether or not the writers have what it takes to keep the show fresh.

Who else watched it and what do you guys think?

2. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually saw it a while ago when it got leaked on the internet. Just to start off, is there anything new in this one, did they change anything?

Before I begin, this review is for the leaked version, once I've seen the new new one I'll go back and edit:

But I would like to say that for a new series, the episode was quite good. A stronger entry than Legends of Tomorrow, that's for sure. It did however toe the line between beign a good episode and being a bad one. Depending on how they handle the show, it can go either way.

If they start off Season 1 with an "Epic" story arch then they're doomed to failure. This season needs to be majority filler like Supernatural was or even how Arrow was. For the moment, we need to get to know Lucifer as a character and we can't do that if there's multiple plots and archs going on.

He does seem a bit douchy though which makes sense since he's the devil. Some of his lines are straight up annoying though: "What will your corrupt level organisation do about this?". Uggh, so cringeworthy. He was enjoyable for the most part though.

They also need to handle God carefully (Not for religous reasons but that's another story). There needs to be an excuse why whatever is happening (Apocalypse, plots against Lucifer, etc.) is happening. It's going to be a bit annoying if they use the Supernatural excuse and say God's left the building.

Lucifer's powers: The guy is the bloody devil. He's like at LEAST the third strongest entity in existence. Thsi means the majority of the show can't be physical conflict (Fights) but rather things like political conflicts (People keeping secrets, kidnapping those that are close to Lucifer).

Too early to rate, but if they just focus on Lucifer as character, I can see it being 4.5/5 but for the moment it's a 3.8/5, rounded up to 4/5.

3. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

I just watched this. Wasn't spectacular, but I thought it was solid enough for a pilot. Will follow this for the first few episodes.

Personally felt all of the "supernatural" types were pretty flat (aside from Lucifer, whom on the whole was fairly solid).

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The lead guy is charming and funny but the series has one joke. He's the devil. Haha. It just keeps hitting it again and again. It could actually be pretty cool, but if so, it really has to develop past that.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I watched it earlier. I'm of two minds about it. My opinion is mostly positive, but I do have some gripes.

The male lead is a good actor, and fit his role pretty well. He can see what the show is trying to do (obviously the reason he was cast, but still, not all shows succeed). Similarly, the female lead (Chloe?) was interesting in her own right, so there's that.

The premise of the show is very interesting. The devil taking a vacation, and everyone being furious at him for actually caring and being merciful and generally not being evil. The overarching plot there promises to be good, and I like how cavalier Lucifer is about the whole thing.

I'm not so sure about the procedural format, though. Do we really need another show of 'pretty, feisty detective follows asshole/genius genius around as he does her job better than her'?

Also, I felt like Lucifer's accent and behavior sometimes went a bit overboard. I know what they were trying to do with him, but in a couple scenes it felt like it got away from him.

The characters are interesting, and so is the premise. I loved the interactions with the kid. I'll be keeping an eye on this show.

6. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

It could be good, but for some reason I think its going to be one of the shows that fails badly.

7. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I think my favorite aspect is that he is in no way even trying to hide the fact of who he is. I thought for sure he was going to be all cryptic about shit, but he's just straight out saying who he is and why he can survive in a hail of bullets.

This is probably because no one will believe him, but that can't last for long when he's surviving gunfire with ease.

It's refreshing that the premise doesn't start with a secret that the main character tries to hide for five seasons.

I actually really enjoyed it, but maybe I'm easy to please.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  8. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Saw the leaked version a month or two ago. It's decent, some of the 'I'm the devil jokes' are hilarious, though they better find something else in the next few episodes, otherwise it'll get old quickly.

Likewise, I hope it won't simply be a cop show with the female lead getting help from Lucifer's supernatural powers every time she hits a wall in her investigation.

The concept gets boring after a while.

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Wait, is this the show that's supposedly based on Mike Carey's "Lucifer"?

10. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Yep.

/10char

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

In that case, I'll avoid it completely, as I doubt they'll ever do the series and the character any justice.

The fact that he's taking a vacation, as opposed to the comic's premise of giving up Hell entirely, doesn't bode well.

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Unless I'm mistaken, that part they didn't change. They did everything else though to the point where I wouldn't even call it an adaptation.

That said, I have no problem with it. I will judge it for what it's tries to be which is another procedural. They could completely surprise me like Limitless did, but I will not complain if they will manage to be more like Forever which I enjoyed. A lot of it depends on how well they use the fact that the main character is the devil and unfortunately the pilot was already wasting its potential.

13. blizzarrrd

blizzarrrd Fourth Year

Just watched the pilot, and while I like the premise, I'm not so sure about the execution.
    So far I find the supporting characters extraordinarily weak, a bit like caricatures. The hip-hop ex-boyfriend, the producer guy, they are such clichés it's painful to watch.
    Or the starlett/singer who, moments before her death, promises to be a better person - is this cheesy proclamation supposed to make me feel sad for a character I've known all of 5 minutes?

Also, there are certain scenes that are just badly produced. The one where Lucifer dangles the ex-boyfriend over the balcony- it just looks fake, which really breaks the immersion.
    Or the dead body of the starlett/singer... I expect corpses in cheap horror movies to look like this.

Parts of the dialogue aren't so great either. The "joke" where the detective's daughter asks what a hooker is was predictable and and not executed well. If they have to use a worn-out joke like this in a pilot episode, they should at least do it well.

At the moment, I'm watching two other shows with main characters with super-natural powers, Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and I think Lucifer just can't keep up with them quality-wise.
    I'll probably watch the next few episodes because I really like the idea, and just hope it will get better.

14. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Like everyone else, I thought it was pretty decent, and am definitely going to be watching the next few episodes to see where it heads. But it needs to find footing, not just stumble along.

I don't want another cop show. I want to Lucifer being a dick to people, and the cops coming in and out tangentially to the plot, although I'll likely still watch it either way. So things happen at Lux that require Lucifer to go and do something, and he bumps into them along the way, rather than going to help solve another murder.

Also, is anyone else annoyed when shows have generic names?

And here's a review by a rabid Christian website about how Fox is satanic and urging society to turn that way too.

15. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I actually enjoyed the character of Lucifer. He's an unrepentant asshole and it works. I think, however, that they stand a chance of going too far with the 'redemption'. Throughout the episode I had a hard time conceiving of why the Devil would care about some random girl, even in the part we see with them before she is murdered. Fortunately it looks like the showrunners have taken that into account and have something in mind for it.

I'm admittedly not a fan of the whole bit where Heaven wants the Devil to continue being evil to maintain a 'balance', as it's a cheap way to make them the bad guys. I was actually hoping for Michael to show up at the end and say something about how he's beginning to have hope for Lucifer's redemption, while Lucifer scoffs at the idea, but it seems like they're going to turn Heaven into some kind of zealot faction like in Supernatural which is annoying.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    It's still the first episode. I'm hoping that not ALL Angels are assholes.

17. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I also saw the first episode when it was leaked. I liked it.

Lucifer is a pretty cool guy.

"I don't have mind control, I'm the devil, not a Jedi."

18. Ashton Knight

High Score:
    Yeah, I've seen enoguh of that in Supernatural.

It might just be the Supernatural fan in me, but the fact that anyone bar Michael (And maybe other Archangels) has the balls to even threaten Lucifer is a bit out there. The fact that Amenadiel (Wasn't he called Beneziel in the leaked version?) thinks he can actually succeed is mind boggling.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Well, maybe he can? You don't know how Lucifer dynamics work yet. Maybe power levels aren't as clear cut as they were in Supernatural. Hell, Amenadiel (or whatever his name was) did a pretty good job of threatening Lucifer and only the promise of God's wrath stopped him.

Perhaps Lucifer is powerless while on Earth. Perhaps Angels are all more or less the same. Perhaps this, perhaps that, we don't know.

What we do know is that you can't use Supernatural terms for this show which is, in fact, NOT Supernatural.

20. Ashton Knight

High Score:
    Well, not just Supernatural but just the Christian religion in general. Though I do admit that Supernatural is affecting my opinion slightly. It's just that you would think in most cases Archangel>Angel. He was one of the first Angels and God's most favoured. You'd think he'd have a bit of a power boost in comparison to the others.