1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magi Evoluton by Omin Black - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by deathinapinkboa, Feb 10, 2007.

1. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Title: Magi Evolution
    Author: Omni Black
    Rating: Mature
    Genre: General/Action/Adventure
    DLP Category: Alternative
    Pairing: HP/OFC, Possible HG/NL
    Summary: The magical community has remained stagnant for years, but that is all about to change. A war is brewing and two worlds are about to collide. Evolution is a curious thing. Blood isn't the only thing they have to worry about now. HPXMEN crossover
    Link: Enjoy, or not

Well I rather like it. I won't say anything to kind, but I can't say much that is cruel. Harry gets "crazy cool" mutant powers, as doesn't Miss Hermione, but despite this common ground they don't end up shagging like overly energized bunnies. It may become something worthy of praise, or not.

2. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Isn't this guy dead?

Anyways this story was somewhat decent but I am not a big fan of crossovers.

I do admit that this story is better than his cliche ridden fic of Black Ascension.

I'd give this story a 3.8/5. It was decent but not that great.

3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Spelling the Authors name in the title wrong = Fail

His other story is not too bad, This one, well it's a HP/XMEN combined with his poor grammar and average writing skill this is a 3/5 at best.

4. deathinapinkboa

Dyslexics of the world untie and all that rot.

5. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Good story. The abuse is a turn-off, but once you get past that, and he kills Vernon...it's good. Uses magic and Xmen powers. I like it. 4/5

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    New chapter's up. Its pretty cool, Harry becomes a drifter and ends up at a cage fighting bar in the middle of nowhere. Good fight scene and a good cliffhanger.

7. Vulkan

Vulkan Squib

I like it... there is no much morals for him when he is looking to survive... the fight between Wolvie and Harry in the latest chapter was good... This is a far cry from all the other HP / X-Men fics and I like the difference... There is no whining or instant vendetta or some wham bam whenever he likes...

8. KubYnator

KubYnator Second Year

Why must every HP / X-Men Crossover include Hermione and / or Neville as mutants?

Other then that I rather like the story and thanks for recommending it because I would normally have stopped after the first chapter withe the abuse.

9. fatthom

fatthom Squib

I am not sure that I can see Harry as being a Wolverine character. Just does not seem to have it in him.

I am still reading it, but when the unknown metal turns out to be mythril, and he uses the claws as a wand, I will probably stop.

3/5

10. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

There are some good things about it, but also a lot of bad things. If you're looking to burn an hour of your time skimming over something then it's decent, but otherwise not so. The plot seems rather contrived, even when I haven't read any hp/x-men crossovers before, the characterisations aren't full, and the writing style gets to me. That's an old grudge of mine with Omni Black's stories though, so others might not find it so stilted.

Reasonably good, but not a diamond 3/5.

11. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

the good thing about it, is that the author actually knows something about the x-men comics instead of simply going by the movie canon.

Bad is the fact that the author somehow always has to redeem Neville in his fics in some ways usually making him completly ooc by the time he is done

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I myself thought it was getting a bit overboard when he got the different metal, but without a wand he would need something too use his magic with. That it was grafted onto his bones is just an added plus. I would have liked it more if he'd only been given the teleportation (cause I don't think that would be effected by Anti-Apparition wards), though the fact that most of his skills and power comes from artificial means does redeem it a bit.

I give it a 4/5, cause its a god story but has its problems.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

14. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

4.3/5. Great story so far. Hopefully Harry won’t just turn into a miniWolverine, but the fight in the last chapter was good.

15. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

I like the crossover with Xmen, will give this story a 3.5/5.

16. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Eh. I wanted to like this one, but the opening really prevented it for me. It's unrealistic to believe his uncle and cousin would get away with what they were doing for even a fraction of the time thanks to accidental magic. I mean...Marge was just badmouthing his dead parents and she got blown up.

2/5

17. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

BioPlague Advisory and Warning System
    [​IMG]

Where I Stopped:
    End of Chapter One
    Reason for Stopping:
    Just not very interesting. The beginning spurned a deja-vu feeling and that's largely because the themes of malnourishment, abuse at the hands of relatives and puce/red-colored skin and it's effects are old and have been overused. Sorry, that really just doesn't catch my attention now-a-days though I do give credit for keeping it realistic until Cliche #43 occurs.

The burning and killing of all that is sacred to Harry. Great. Fuck you.

Problems and Warnings:
    - Usual, slow moving last Harry Potter book just ended and we're going to have Harry being driven back to Privet Drive so we can discuss what color Vernon's ass cheeks are plot device is used. Big no-no.
    - Harry's belongings are torched inside the house, in a trash bin. Yeah. Uncle Einstein has come to play. Needless to say, Harry isn't angry enough to do anything yet.
    - Harry's bird is about to be killed, he's being ganged up on and he's got every reason to do some crazy voodoo shit since it's about fifty times worse than anything he's experienced at the hands of his relatives before - nope. Bird's torched.
    - Sledgehammer is used to destroy the main character's legs. Where's the logic going here? By this point, we've gone beyond even most Harry is abused stories.
    - Wolverine Claws. That's all I have to say. Wolverine, fucking claws.
    - Killing your uncle a chapter too late. This is a horrible build-up, ruins the suspension of disbelief and is just uninteresting with how many stories have this beginning. This was a great setup when being emo was cool. Yeah, never.

Ditch this shit unless you want to find out whether or not Harry fucks Kitty or Jean Gray; it's Poor.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  18. deathinapinkboa

Bio, the first chapter is a massive shit fest. That said, the story just goes up hill from there. The key is to just forget that chapter one ever happened. That is what I did.

19. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

the newest chapter (which i finished sometime today) has a few logical errors in it (one of them that Wolverine is announced by name before the fight but raven doesn't notice his enemy is "strange" until the fight is nearly done).

Aside from that i cannot think of a more unlikely "wolverine" type than Harry, he simply isn't the lone samurai persona.

20. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Bio's rating system is full of win. He has a point, and that point is this: if your first chapter sucks ass, then people are less likely to slog on.